Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• samwsmith1
    samwsmith1 Posts: 922 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I have looked through the site and cannot find any reference to bank accounts for under 16s - can anyone advise please?
    We live in a remote village, with no easy access to banks or post office apart from on line, and we also shop on line quite a lot. I am keen for my 15 year old to appreciate that she can only make purchases when SHE has the money in her account - not when my credit card is available......
    I would like her to have an account that we could pay her allowance into (less than £250 per month!) but which will give her own switch card that she can use to buy things. No overdraft facility is required or anything like that - just a basic account....

Can anyone advise?

Thanks
    I found HSBC very good when I was that age, you get a Visa debit card and full online banking.

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/under18s
  • kitface
    kitface Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    mazkiwi wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good free business account for a small business (that's been operating for more than 5 years)...mainly for the odd deposit and transfer.
    Many thanks

Co-Op offer free banking for small businesses I believe
  • bhoy1976
    bhoy1976 Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi,

My girlfriend and I are looking for a joint bank account that we can pay half of our salaries into each month to cover our joint finances for the home etc.

Ideally, I would prefer not to have an overdraft on this account but would definitely forego this so long as we each had a Debit card for the account.

Any ideas?
  • smcg2212
    smcg2212 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    myth123 wrote: »
    does it matter if the deposit and subsequent withdrawal of the £1000 happens in the same day? Or would it be better to leave a day or two between?

You can put in the £1000 and withdraw it on the same day and get the £5 reward at the begining of the next month. If doing this by Standing Order some people prefer to leave a few days to make sure that they don't go overdrawn.
  • smcg2212
    smcg2212 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Jabrul wrote: »
    wondering if anyone managed to bag that extra £100 from FD.

Yes. They weren't too happy. Didn't seem to know what they were doing. Got sent a cheque for the second £100.
  • muffinboz
    muffinboz Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 4 July 2012 at 4:06PM
    Options
    Switched Santander to Nationwide in April/May to get the travel insurance for over 65s. So far 2 Direct Debits did not transfer as they should (for one fault was apparently with Nationwide, one with Santander). Since moving current account, I have had to sort out 2 Credit Cards in default with failed DD and late payment fees and reports to the credit reference agencies. I wish I had never fallen for the assertion that switching is easier, and DDs are automatically transferred...
  • The_Only_Golden_Boy
    Options
    I have a Barclays (not too popular at the moment) Premier Account that costs me £17.50 per month. For this I get Annual Travel Insurance until I am 80 cover includes winter sports, Full RAC including European Cover, CCP Card protection, Mobile phone Insurance, Gadget Insurance, Entry into Airport VIP Lounges, Free Will writing service etc. The main attraction is the Travel Insurance that covers me and my wife and I am 70, at this age it becomes quite expensive to get cover. I believe that the value of the inclusive benefits is more than I am paying. This account is no longer available to new customers but the benefits can be added to basic accounts at extra cost.
  • MontBelzoni
    MontBelzoni Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been with FD current account for a few years now and have the 8% regular savings.

Normally have a £2-3k languashing in my current account attracting 0% interest :(

Don't use their telephone banking and find FD's online banking is ok if not a bit clunky in operation (needs an upgrade!)

Anyway, thinking of opening up another bank account....still intend to keep FD open for the regular savings account.

The new account has got to attract interest...was thinking Santander 123 if anyone has recent experience?

• innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got a Santander 1-2-3, mainly because they pay interest and cashback. It costs £2 a month, so only worth it if you get at least £24 in interest and/or cashback. I didn't use their switcher service, so cannot comment on it - but generally I prefer to move my SOs and DDs myself. Overall, I am very happy with the account. Open your account via Quidco or Topcashback for a bit extra. If you search the board, there's a separate thread for the 1-2-3 account.

I also have a Lloyds Vantage, which also pays interest. I am just using it as a back-up current account - just in case there is some NatWest-like disaster. It's probably a perfectly good current account, too.

Like you are thinking, I have kept my First Direct current account so I can use the Regular Saver.
  • Midzone
    Midzone Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    I have the Santander 1-2-3 Account - no problems what so ever - thoroughly recommended.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback