TV Licence - will they get a warrant?

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 13 November 2017 at 11:41PM
    Xbigman wrote: »
    In my job I have hard evidence that 9 out 10 people who claim to be legally licence free lol are in fact lying and just relying on Capita not getting past your front door in order to check their systems.

Please supply this evidence then?

FYI not everyone who turns away Capita is an evader, and not everyone who turns down a smart meter is stealing electricity.

Darren
    I have never claimed that everyone who turns Capita away is a licence evader.
    And where did you get this idea that I think that people who refuse smart meters are energy thieves ? .
    I am on record of saying that energy thieves will automatically refuse one as a matter of course. Many people now refuse smart meters because the technology is nt quite right yet and so they have a legitimate reason to refuse one.
    Most of Europe made smart meters mandatory. I do think they should be madatory, as they were originally when Ed Miliband, the Energy Minister was in power with the Labour goverment.
    Since then the present government changed it to make them optional.
  • So you have just admitted, on a pubic forum, that under the pretence of reading gas and electric meters you are actually spying on suspected licence fee dodgers?

Wow. :eek:
    No, Data Protection laws forbid me from doing the same job at the same time.
    If I have course to visit the same property to do both jobs I have to leave a gap of a couple of days before returning to hand deliver the TV licence reminders but at the time I first visit for basic meter reading I am aware that they do not have TV licences.
    Its not my fault that boss allocates me the two types of work to the same person. All my colleagues do the same.
    I can have a dozen job types to do in any one week.Nowadays we do all sorts of jobs.
    We even visit pubs and clubs to check if they are using BT sports or Sky from abroad and hairdressers and restaurents to check on public music licences
  • No, Data Protection laws forbid me from doing the same job at the same time.
    If I have course to visit the same property to do both jobs I have to leave a gap of a couple of days before returning to hand deliver the TV licence reminders but at the time I first visit for basic meter reading I am aware that they do not have TV licences.
    Its not my fault that boss allocates me the two types of work to the same person. All my colleagues do the same.
    I can have a dozen job types to do in any one week.Nowadays we do all sorts of jobs.
    We even visit pubs and clubs to check if they are using BT sports or Sky from abroad and hairdressers and restaurents to check on public music licences

So that's a yes then!
  • So that's a yes then!
    If you like ! but please dont demonise every meter reader for simply doing his job and it is only Morrisons Data Services, MDS who took over from G4S earlier this year who perform this role
    Other meter readers such as Npower, Eon , Siemens, SSE do not have the TVL contract to hand deliver TV licence reminders.So let them in if you use those suppliers and meter reading contractors.You have nothing to fear from them.
    No one has nothing to fear anyway if they are truthful and honest and do not view ANY BBC content at all and no live scheduled broadcasts whatsoever.Stick to the abysmal Netflix and Amazon Prime.
    I would be ashamed of myself to admit to only viewing that awful Americana and life is too short to mess about with catch-up all the time, and its expensive
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 November 2017 at 12:49AM
    If you do not watch any live scheduled tv or any BBC content whatsoever( so you or your partner do not watch the top ratings hits like Celebrity Come Dancing etc ) then invite the Capita employee in to see your TV set up.
    Please stop implying that other FMs break the law.
    This forum is nt really about helping people save money on advice on TV licences.
    This forum is for assisting people to save money - on anything within the law. That certainly includes the TV Licence, and if you don't believe me, read the official MSE article.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence

It's unfortunate that the BBC has chosen to go down the confrontational path to enforcement that it has, and there are various questions around legal non-compliance by TVL. I guess that presents media services like MSE with something of a quandary, but nevertheless, the facts are out there... and some of them are on here, too.

I'm not going to bother going "line-by-line" with you, because it doesn't seem to do any good. You appear to take corrections on board and then your original misconceptions appear again a few weeks later in all their misconceived glory.

The following things from your posts are arguably factually incorrect, and I feel obliged to point them out for the benefit of MSE and its readers:-

- Most people here will already have broadband of a speed necessary to use catch-up, Netflix, Amazon, etc. It is not expensive, especially if you already have it. In fact I expect that many LF-payers are already using catch-up alongside their linear TV and recording capability.

- Generally in UK law there is no requirement for someone to prove their innocence of an offence, and that remains the case with TVL (no matter what their weasel-words of the moment might be).

- There is no "Duty to Enforce" the TV Licence. It is not part of the legislation or the BBC's Charter. Therefore you do not have a "secondary duty" to assist with it, and ISTR you backing away from this claim when challenged on it previously.

- My understanding of your role (from information provided by the BBC) is that you deliver calling cards on behalf of TVL and never engage with the Public. If you have been told otherwise, please state it clearly as I will be writing to the BBC shortly and would like to mention it.

- The BBC does not use Locksmiths when serving Warrants or otherwise. It is their policy not to make forcible entry. (Though some videos suggest borderline compliance with that on occasions).

- I'm not aware of any "evasion websites". If there were, and the BBC targeted their operators or contributors for Warrants, then that would likely be a breach of Article 10 of the Human Rights Act (Right to Expression). Certainly, targeting legitimate websites that assist people to be and to become Legally Licence-free would be a breach.

- My understanding of your role is that you are never in contact with people who have claimed to be Legally Licence-free. The people you are in contact with are those who have made no such "claim". The value or otherwise of the claim is debatable, but let's at least get the facts straight.

N.B. I have already provided lengthy advice to the OP on another forum.
  • House_Martin
    edited 14 November 2017 at 12:36AM
    Welcome Cornucopia.
    .where have I accused another forum member of breaking the law ?.Please don t try and divert attention this way please.Stick to your usual diatribe and keep the accusations of me to other FMs out of it please.
    I can see that some are horrified that people like me are getting past their front doors but if they are honest and truthful, so what! they have nothing to hide
    I don`t think your imput on this forum is justified given the vast numbers that are prosecuted every year for licence evasion.After all, most of these who end up in court I presume claimed to be legally licence free .
    Why can t you just stick only to advice such as removing aerial leads, ,removing set top boxes or detuning Freeview and leave out all the stuff to not speak or refuse entry to Capita men or admit them access.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    No, Data Protection laws forbid me from doing the same job at the same time.

So you enter people's homes to carry out two totally different functions on behalf of two unrelated organisations.

Yet when you enter to read the meter, you know whether or not the occupier has a TV licence.

This sounds like a flagrant violation of the DPA. I'm not surprised that Capita behaves in this way though. I think you've let the cat out of the bag, and have probably provided enough information for this now to be referred to the Information Commissioner.
  • Nick_C
    If you do not watch any live scheduled tv or any BBC content whatsoever( so you or your partner do not watch the top ratings hits like Celebrity Come Dancing etc ) then invite the Capita employee in to see your TV set up.
    You have pulled the aerial lead from the back of your TV or set- top boxes and detuned the Freeview I presume seeing as you claim to watch only appalling American rubbish only or have to mess about with catch-up TV on a very expensive mobile or broadband contract.
    Talk is cheap ! claiming that you do not break the law is easy, prove it ! Invite Capita in to verify your "claim ".
    All of a sudden, when asked to do this, householders then start bleating on about privacy!
    In my job I have hard evidence that 9 out 10 people who claim to be legally licence free lol are in fact lying and just relying on Capita not getting past your front door in order to check their systems.
    The BBC prosecuted a whopping 180,000 UK householders last year alone, who also "claimed " exactly the same as you. Funny how so many are just straight liars, just to save a paltry £2.80 a week for the best value for money in the UK .
    OP, why do you state the phrase "trying to catch me out " If what you claim is an honest statement ? There is nothing to be "caught out " in the first place if what you claim is true.
    In my unique job, getting behind the lies of so called "legally licence free " evaders I do encounter a few genuine people who can t wait to show me round their houses to verify their claims. I rarely take them up on it unless they insist because when they want to do that they are all correct and do not require a TV licence.
    180,000 a year BBC prosecutions last year tells its own story that the UK is awash with licence evaders, and that is but the tip of a large iceberg.
    These TV licence evading advice websites get a good living from their seedy websites I presume and some I admit who comment on them are probably true to their word
    I will answer your question about warrants, so you can relax. NO the BBC/TVL will NOT take out a warrant. They cost too much money, more than the TV licence itself at approx £150 , plus another £100 at least for a locksmith .The BBC have been reported to only take out a few warrants a year, hopefully against the sort of people who run TV licence evasion websites
    Capita do a brilliant job in forcing reluctant tightwads to pay their TV licence.
    My views on people who claim to live legally licence free, an appalling phrase, is certainly justified because I get past the front door and see for myself the lies and claims going off in the homes of UK residents, so OP please drop the "privacy " claim and simply admit a Capita employee in to view your system.
    He is vetted strictly,( as I am in my role ) and has a 100% clean criminal record. He carries his photo I.D. on full view so you can phone his office to verify , so you have no fear whatsoever in admitting this person for a few minutes to be hopefully free from any more visits from TVL.
    Cue Cornucopia with his annoying line by line replies. He/She has been having an easy ride on this forum, backed by his several "so called LLF followers " with their quite vile comments about the "scum and the goons " who do a great job in unearthing the crims.
    He will ALWAYS have his stock replies ready and will ALWAYS have the last word..Its an odd place for him to be commenting on this forum..Personally I do not think he should be on here "drumming up business " This forum is nt really about helping people save money on advice on TV licences. Lawful people do not need advice on TV licences or how to avoid paying for it. It is against the spirit of MSE
    In my experience of many years on the job getting behind the front doors of people who not possess a TV licence, MOST of them do need one ! Ive seen it for years with my own eyes.

Just quoting this post in full to avoid any further comments being retracted
  • Nick_C
    Honest and truthful accusations after a decade of handing out TV licence reminders and entering the same premises to inspect utility meters
    There is.nothing at all "wild "about my accusations .How would YOU know they are "wild " accusations, you have zero experience of how others evade the licence.You are just speaking from your own point of view. I visit hundreds and hundreds of TV licence evaders in any year, 200,000 thousand on average are prosecuted
    The occupiers are not aware that I have a secondary duty so are relaxed and usually have the TV on when I read their gas and electric meters.
    I say MOST are fiddling, say 9 out of 10 is my guess judging how many I see viewing normal live scheduled or BBC tV. and this is born out by the absolutely huge numbers that Capita snare and prosecute and they must only catch a small proportion of evaders. When Capita can trap 200,000 in a year its evidence of vast numbers are evading.
    I have been doing TV licence reminders this week, virtually all the ones who needed a TV licence were viewing channels that need a licence.

Quoted to preserve evidence
  • House_Martin
    edited 14 November 2017 at 1:00AM
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Quoted to preserve evidence
    I have quoted the same stuff at least three or four times in the past on here in the last couple of years
    you are welcome to bluster and bluff as much as you like.
    I m just doing the duties I get given to do.. Dont blame me if I see whats happening in the world of TV licence evasion. No good demonising me when I see the truth behind many people who "claim " to be legally licence free. Cornucopia has free reign on here dominating questions about TV licence enquiries. I was appalled at one post where Capita and others on here all piled in on a one sided opinion of Capita work for the BBC with such disgraceful words as "scum " and "goons "
    After all they catch 200,000 a year trying to preserve easily the best channel in the world , the BBC to keep on coming up with all the best TV in the UK.
    The top 11 viewing figure last week were all BBC programs. We need to keep the TV licence in place to preserve this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure