£170000 in 10 years

Comments

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    had quite a good week although i am struggling some days to make my 10 pounds a day target from selling even though i have hundreds of items lying around the house ready to sell. It is quite hard to stay on budget with food shopping too we often have friends and family come over for meals which means more money for meat etc and sometimes extras that we wouldnt normally buy so i am finding it hard .My savings accounts are all up and running and i made £3.95 interest on one that i have only had for around a month so it must be paying it monthly this is the first time i have ever made any interest in a bank or building society account and i was very pleased i sent it straight to my mortgage i was so very pleased .This is a great site and i have learnt such a lot from reading through threads and diaries is there anyone else like me on here in their 50s with a big mortgage to pay would be interested to hear all of my family and friends have paid theirs off so i am in the minority
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Fantastic news on your first interest earned and well done on the £10 a day challenge, thats amazing! Are you part of the challenge on the Debt Free Wannabee Challenges? I like it over there! Also with the grocery budget might be worth popping to the Old Style boards, they offer lots of advice over there! Think there is a section on here as well which shares coupons, vouchers and any special offers as well!

Welcome and congrats on making such great headway already!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • try_harder
    thank you very much jodies16i will look at both of those -its great on here so much help and information.I am struggling to meet my target april was very dismal lots of expenses turned up with my car mot and a £250 garage bill 2 car insurances 2 new tyres for my husbands cara large family party etc etc hopefully now i am budgeting and putting the money aside each week the money for all of these will be there in the bank next year.I am hoping may will be a better month
  • Hello and welcome, if you hang around the board you will find lots of inspiration and support.

I know you mention that you regret the past, but you are doing something very constructive about it now. I know people who are a similar age to you that are still remortgaging to release equity to buy 'stuff'!!

Well done on starting your journey :T
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    You are doing really well Try Harder and better to start now than not at all. Once you have the "bug" though you will start to make some great progress with becoming MF. Impressed with your £10 a day challenge - I really need to start selling some stuff again on fleabay
  • try_harder
    Thank you so much eating the elephant and busymee1 this past week has been a lot better and i have met my £10 a day target plus more and sold a sofa so its been a great week all savings met and another overpayment made i do hope this week will be just as good.I was left some money a few months ago which i used to overpay my mortgage which brought it down to round about £170000 and have kept a small amount as the basis of my savings plan and am trying to add to it every week within the budget thank you everyone for your support
  • try_harder
    This week has been good and bad i made my £10 a day target but my food shopping has been very high i seemed to run out of everything and i am very disappointed with myself at my overspend.I have filled in quite a few surveys this week which is good and taken a bag of coins to the supermarket but feel i am struggling at the minute its so strange how a really good week where i feel really positive can be followed by a very poor one .Never mind tomorrow is a new day and lots of things to list on ebay so hopefully it will be a good one .
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    That sounds like a good week to me TH, you hit your £10 target ( so over £70 in a week ?) and cashed in a load of coins. Don't beat yourself up about busting your food budget - it happens to all of us and actually I find it evens itself out, so if I have an expensive shop one week, the week after is not so bad. I find meal planning and making a list helps, but my biggest saving has been switching from Sainsbreeze to Ald@. I reduced my food bill by at least a third.
  • try_harder
    Thank you busyme1 for all your encouragement its just so disappointing when you set yourself some targets and you miss them by a great distance.Yes i did make my seventy pounds so that was good and i should be pleased i think its just because the outstanding amount on my mortgage is so big it just seems to make no impact but i have paid 240 pounds per week off of my mortgage for the last 3 weeks so it is all adding up and i dont want to wish away time .I went to aldxx twice this week and was amazed at what i can get for the money i live a minute away from waitroxx so tend to shop there sometimes for convenience but mostly at tescxx.Its a beautiful day here today and all my washing is on the line i dont have a tumble dryer so i try and hang everything out when ever its slightly warm or windy and its all blowing nicely. I am so grateful to have this forum to chat on it definitely keeps me motivated.
  • That's a fantastic amount to pay off your mortgage in 3 weeks, try not to beat yourself up over the food! You're doing great :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure