Heron Foods/Farmfoods Freezer Shops -spot any good buys?

Comments

• williacg
    williacg Posts: 707 Forumite
    Thanks for that, Heron sold it years ago, I built up quite a collection of Douwe Egberts storage jars as a result.
    Good to see it back.

Heron have a new email newsletter and are offering £25 in Heron Foods shopping vouchers in a daily draw through September to people signing up for it:
    http://www.heronfoods.com/signup

Thanks for the tip Mcculloch, I also re-use the Douwe Egbert jars for my dried herbs and spices collection.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Just a quick mention of the newsletter, you may want to leave it until a little later in the month before signing up, as you are only entered in to the draw on the day you sign up and no other day. Which probably made it easier for Heron to administer. Hmm.

Anyway, it still saves me a fortune and did so today. I forgot to mention that the Xsell white fish in the seeded batter is actually cod, so the 500g of fillets for £1.50 is fantastic value.
    I think the green pumpkin seeds in the batter may be putting people off. I thought this would be sold out, but it wasn't.

Some things that I spotted.
    Chiller:
    Muller Corners Greek Yoghurt with Rhubarb compote (very nice too), 4 for £1.20.

Rachel's Organic Creme Fraiche, 39p or 3 for £1

Different types of enriched Clover spread, 500g for 99p

Small pack of Edam cheese, minus red wax, 89p

Freezer:
    Luxury ice-cream (odd brand name that I can't recall) £1.50. In the Buy Now freezer, along with the £1 doughballs.

2 for £1 Xsell large pizzas were thin-based, mixed veg with mozzarella.

Shelves:

Fox's Crunch Biscuits, small packet, 29p

Litre NAS Ribena £1.

Caramelised onion and balsamic vinegar sharing bag of Sensations crisps 59p

Box of Terry's All Gold Dark chocolates c. 350g, £2.50.

Bars of milk and hazelnut chocolate, 39p or 3 for £1

4 small Mr Kipling slices 49p (Above the Buy it Now freezer in my store)
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Spotted in my local Heron (Co. Durham).
    Little cubes - and they are little - of Laughing Cow Cheese. 2 packs of 24 cubes for £1.

Terry's Chocolate Orange Pots 2 for 75p?

Fish pie fishcakes. Contained salmon, cod and smoked mackerel along with cheese sauce. Also some very thick, chunky fishcakes made from white fish. In the Xsel freezer. £1.50 I think.

Also with Xsel stuff, Thai Green Curry Prawn Samosas 4 for 39p in a clear film tray pack. Great for Christmas buffets. I tried these and they are nice, strong but not too strong. Some had more filling than others, but that's the norm with Xsel, it's why they are bargains.

Doughballs were 50p a pack.

Two 150g packs of McVities Bahlsen Leibnitz type biscuits for £1, both milk and dark choc. I got these, they are OK, but smaller then Leibnitz and with less choc.
    The Aldi Leibnitz looky likeys are far more like the real thing, 1 pack is 75p though.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Has anyone been in their local Heron since Monday? Their 5p bags are now Bags for Life which they will replace when worn out, bigger than before. They also have really nice coated fabric shoppers, 39p, never seen bags for sale at that price anywhere. I got one and also got or spotted:

Walkers Sweet and spicy popcorn 39p for 110g, or 3 for £1.

Butterkist popcorn 2 bags for £1, 59p each.

Galaxy salted caramel chocolate, 100g 69p

Monterey Jack cheese 180g £1.20

Seriously Strong vintage cheddar 300g £1.89

Wensleydale with cranberries, £1

Posh ice cream that was £1.49 now reduced to 99p, vanilla custard and lemon flavours. In the Best Buy freezer.

Linda McCartney stirfries, beef type and chicken type, with veg, 400g £1.

Giant pizzas in the Xsell freezer, £1. Meat feast, thin crust.

Chicken pies, Xsell, £1

Xsell fish included cod in seeded batter, basa in teriyaki batter, whitefish in batter, all 500g for £1.50. Plus the usual fishcakes, fish fingers and fish-shapes.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Quick dash into Heron this week, so I didn't notice everything that was on offer, but I did spot cans of mock Mojito cocktails.
    I've never seen such cheap mocktails, I think they were 200ml and 6 for £1, 19p each.
    There were Ski lemon mousse at 2 x 4 packs for £1 and the usual low price 6 packs of fromage frais.
    Elmlea creme fraiche was 3 for a £1 or 39p each, and a 1kg pack of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter with a 5 week best before date was £1.25.
    I thought I would try one of their 5p Bags for Life as my bags were buried at the bottom of my rucksack but they had run out. Possibly they were more popular than anticipated. Mine were duly dug out.
  • Thick carved roast gammon 500g for £2....this is really nice
    Two packs of six Cadburys heroes twinpot deserts for £2.50
    Crinkly salt and vinegar snacks/crisps two packs of six for £1.50
    Mr Kipling country slices pack of six, two packs for a quid.
    They still had the Star wars chocolate cereal in for 69p..taste like weetos.
    Mr Kipling treacle lattice tart 65p.
    All these snacks are so temptingly cheap but ideal for packed lunches.
    He who smiles rather than rages is always
    the stronger
  • I went to Heron yesterday and got 2 boxes of Kellogg's Star Wars cereal (just like weetos) for £1, X-sell Glamorgan veggie sausages (10) for £1 I think, carte dor Xmas ice cream logs 2 for £3 (pecan or raspberry), walkers deep ridge 5 pack for 59p and 2 marvels chocolate advent calandra for £1!
  • mel48rose
    mel48rose Posts: 513 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    In my local Heron yesterday I got 6 strawberry cornettos (loose) for a pound. :j
    If you change nothing, nothing will change!!
  • peewhyeff
    peewhyeff Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 December 2015 at 9:17PM
    IN HERON............Look out for bags of chocolate biscuits. Red bag with picture of assorted chocolate biscuits on the front. It says broken and misshaped......don't be fooledby that. They are fully coated 'luxury' biscuits, 350g for 69p. I have opened a bag.......contains 30 biscuits. Around hal f of these are "?adburys snack", others are chunkie and more fancy types. The tel. No.for customer services on the back does indeed direct you to Cadbury's. I bought 4 bags, won't be pushed into buying fancy xmas tins now.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nice find thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business