Advice: CapQuest Debt Collection

Options
Hi there,

I have received a text, several phone calls and now a letter from CapQuest relating to unarranged overdraft charges on a bank account I had with Santander. The debt is mine and I am prepared to pay the amount in full, I was was a student at the time and let it get way out of hand when I could have just paid a smaller amount several times. Irresponsible, but I've grown up a little since then, so time to face up to it.

My question is, should I deal with CapQuest, or with Santander?

As I've said, I'm happy to pay the debt in full, and simply want to be rid of the debt and move on. If a pay CapQuest is that the end of this, or do I leave myself open to further requests from them or Santander?

From the looks of my online banking, Santander have closed the account the charges relate to, as the website says I do not have "a valid product". I just want to make sure that whoever I pay, that is the end of this.

Thanks,
W

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2012 at 3:01PM
    Options
    wra_85 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have received a text, several phone calls and now a letter from CapQuest relating to unarranged overdraft charges on a bank account I had with Santander. The debt is mine and I am prepared to pay the amount in full, I was was a student at the time and let it get way out of hand when I could have just paid a smaller amount several times. Irresponsible, but I've grown up a little since then, so time to face up to it.

My question is, should I deal with CapQuest, or with Santander?

As I've said, I'm happy to pay the debt in full, and simply want to be rid of the debt and move on. If a pay CapQuest is that the end of this, or do I leave myself open to further requests from them or Santander?

From the looks of my online banking, Santander have closed the account the charges relate to, as the website says I do not have "a valid product". I just want to make sure that whoever I pay, that is the end of this.

Thanks,
    W
    Why not contact Santander and discuss the matter with them? I'm sure they will be most pleased to hear from you and will advise you how best to proceed :)

It probably is the case that Santander has sold their debt onto CapQuest, in which case you may be required to pay CapQuest, but Santander will advise.
  • McClane54
    McClane54 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    personally go straight to the bank, be open and honest and try to deal with them

dont bury your head in the sand!
  • VitaK
    VitaK Posts: 651 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If Santander sold the debt on to Capquest then you need to pay Capquest.

If Capquest is acting on behalf of Santander, you can pay either of them.
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi wra_75 , thank you for your query regarding Capquest
    Who you pay the debt to and negotiate with depends on whether Santander have just asked Capquest to collect the debt for them (in which case you can pay either Santander or Capquest) or if it has been assigned to Capquest (in whcih case you need to contact Capquest). It may be worth asking about the possibility of a full and final settlement of the debt and when paying it is worth getting and keeping proof, e.g. sending a cheque with a reference number on back, photocopy cheque and send recorded delivery.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    CrapQuest are one of the biggest bottom feeders of the DCA industry.

Contact Santander to ask if they still own the debt of it it got sold to CQ.

If CQ bought the debt or they sent you a NoA then pay CQ direct - I'd even offer them a Full and Final settlement. CQ would have paid about 10p in the £. So make your offer low.

Remember its your money and you can pay what YOU can afford, not what they tell you tyo pay.

If they refuse an offer - get them to put it in writing that they are REFUSING it.

Speaking of which - never deal with a DCA on the phone. Keep everything in writing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure