One Call Insurance

Comments

• I have just tried to cancel my car insurance with these clowns and i am being charged £256 for the privelige and the FSA says that this is standard practice but they are writing a letter to one call to outline my complaint and will them to resolve before it goes the the formal level, plus they are refusing to issue my proof of no claims until they got this money meaning i cannot even get new car insurance at a decent price!
    2013; walking with dinosaurs family ticket, film premiere tickets, vip tickets to heart fm party :j
  • I too have had terrible customer service from OneCall...took out the policy end of November, received a letter immediatley saying that i needed to send in counterparts and drivers license for me and my husband...sent husbands as mine was with DVLA having the address changed which I explained to OneCall and was told was fine and that I had until 24/12/13 to send them in. Received letter after letter from them threatening to cancel, I called them and emailed them everytime to explain again that mine was with DVLA etc, obvs no communication with them as everytime I called had to go through the same bullsh*t and explain the whole story. Eventually my new license arrived so i sent it in to them via email and their online submission section. Didnt hear anything so presumed all was fine as no more threatening letters were received. Just before xmas received a letter saying my insurance was cancelled...it was then closed for christmas so had a pretty rubbish christmas worrying about the car. After boxing day receievd an email in reply to my very long winded, frustrated and upset email - "sorry about that but documents were not recieved, thank you"

I rang up all guns blazing, spoke to an arrogant t*sser who basically said "its not been cancelled so why are you stressing". Then told me that our policy had gone up £400!!!! We now pay £1100 a year insurance, we are both 27, been driving 9 years and have 2 years no claims bonus. I didn't pay that much when I first passed at 17. This is because my husband who is only the named driver had a speeding fine from 4 years ago that I failed to mention, which I know is my fault but I didn't even know it was on there as I never even thought to check the counterpart when taking out insurance, I expected the insurance premium to go up but £400 is excessive.

Anyway that was the last I heard from them and we continued to pay the new monthly payment (£114 increased from £60 odd), now today I receive a letter from them saying they have cancelled my husband off the insurance for not sending in his counterpart - !!!!!!! They also stated that to cover their admin fees we will still be charged the full premium. I rang them up to cancel as I am sick of all the crap from them (plus have found insurance for £700 through cooperative) and they say I can only cancel if I pay £340 plus admin fees!

Im at a loss as to what to do, no way can we afford to pay £300 - £400 plus the new set up fees with new insurer. I am planning to complain to onecall although I doubt it will do any good. What repercussions would I face if I just cancelled my direct debit and sent them the certificate of insurers plus a letter explaining that I have cancelled and detailing all the problems. Would I be taken to court? This insurance is no longer fit for purpose as my husband is not insured so why should I pay £114 a month? It is a real stinger and has soaked up the last of our monthly income having to pay an extra £50 a month.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I am at my wits end, this is making me so ill it has been stress after stress since November
  • I have read all of the posts on here unfortunately after I took out my van insurance with this awful company! I have experienced terrible customer service every time I have been in contact with them and finally cancelled after having windows fitted to my van and they tried ripping me off once too many times! From the initial setting up to cancelling it's been expensive and painful, a very tough lesson learned and I am now with a reputable company paying almost double to one call's initial price, but they soon started hitting me with stealth charges that added up to not much difference! An insurance is only as good when it comes to claiming so do not be duped into super cheap insurance!
  • One call breakdown insurance is not worth the paper it is printed on. I drive a Citroen C4 which does not carry a spare wheel and is not supplied as per manufacturers specs. I had a blow out, so called out one call breakdown, only to be told that punctures are not covered. I explained that I am 69 years old and stranded, but was told , sorry, cant help. I had to contact the AA and take a membership with them, to finally arrive home after waiting six hours on the roadside.
    I pay for all my family insurances with one call, but after this experience with the one time I needed help, I will never ever insure with them again, neither will my children or Grandchildren. Take a big free tip from me, AVOID One Call at all costs, don't say you have not been warned.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2014 at 9:10PM
    You look to have just had their "basic" breakdown cover which they give free to you with your motor insurance. That clearly states wheel changes are not covered.

If you wanted cover for wheel changes you could/should have paid for their "gold" cover but apparently decided to risk not having the cover you now are "warning" us about.

You cannot blame one call. You chose to do it on the cheap and risk it.

(And 69 is the new 49 isn't it?). Being 69 is no reason to expect any other cover than what you paid for.
  • I recently contacted One Call to notify them of a change of address. Wish I'd kept quiet - they charged me £70.90 just to change the address!

To make matters worse, I refused to pay it knowing they did not have my current card details (hadn't expired yet, but new one was in use and Amazon hadn't been able to use it when a recent order accidentally defaulted to the old number), yet somehow they got the money out of my account!

Avoid these moneygrabbers like the plague. I will not be renewing with them next month, but expect they'll find some way to charge me for telling them to get lost!
  • snakepit
    snakepit Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I unfortunately have only seen this thread AFTER taking out insurance with them but can also confirm how poor their customer services is.

I took insurance with them at the end of march, paid in full (which they were very quick to take) and uploaded all the documents they asked for on the same day using the link they directed me to.

since then i have uploaded my proof of no claims discount 3 times and also posted it to them in their pre-paid envelope only to get a letter just before the easter weekend to say they had not received my no claims discount and would cancel my insurance in 7 days - inc the bank holidays and weekend. I uploaded my proof again and emailed to say that I had and asking them to confirm receipt.

they have today emailed me to say they have still not received it and will cancel insurance in 2 days. I rang them 2 hours after this email was sent to ask if they could ring my old company and verbally confirm my no claims discount, I had everything from my old company, (policy number, customer services number etc) bar their claims line number and the lady on the phone said she could do nothing without that. I have to admit at this point I kind of lost it and said she could wait on the phone then whilst I googled their number during which time I had a major rant on how pathetic their document upload service was and how they were not getting off to a good start with a new customer and that I would warn all my friends and colleagues about them. Lo and behold shouting seemed to do the trick as whilst I was still looking for my old companies number she miraculously found the documents they swore blind they hadn't received.

My current no claims is over 15 years so I am hoping that this next 12 months will be just as claim free so I have to have no more dealings with them and can renew elsewhere next year.

with this company you only get what you pay for, and then only after creating a scene. steer clear as if this is how they treat new customers signing up what are they like if you have to put in a claim??
  • I am an Italian citizen , in the uk for business , and i am driving for much more than nine yr.
    I call One Call insurance for a car insurance and they quoted me a good price confirming that i can use my previous insurance as no claim bonus. After the initial charge ( 200+) they send me a letter that I have to provide them a no claim bonus proof , which they already know that Italian companies do not provide them .

So after 2 weeks the charge me 300+ more for changing the policy ...
    As i made the payment with them over the phone i told them that i would like to get my mail in a different address(office)
    They told me that's fine and i will be able to do it wen i get possess of the new property ..i told them that's tomorrow...and they told me only tomorrow they will be able to do so ...ok

So the next day i call them and they ask for more money (over a hundred to do the changing ...and then they quoted me a price 1000 pounds more than the original price.

so i ask to cancel the policy and they said no problem .
    A week later i got an additional charge off 201 pounds and they charge my bank account 55 pound more for an extra month..

I have payed 500+ pound for one month insurance .

this is regulate fraud. I would never believe that in the UK such thinks can happen ..
  • Beware!!!
    I had my car stolen in front of me as I was attempting to get in the passenger seat for a test drive after advertising my car on autotrader. Initially onecall said they would treat it as theft and now, after 7 weeks, they say that they are rejecting my claim as I'm not covered for loss of the car by deception or trickery... I now owe finance and a loan on a new car totalling c. £10,000 . They also had sent an email saying they considered the car a total loss 2 weeks ago...I am totally distraught and unaware of how I'm going to repay the loss...I'm complaining to them but will keep this forum updated on the progress... Dreadful situation and dreadful company!!!
  • Taurus2404 wrote: »
    Beware!!!
    I had my car stolen in front of me as I was attempting to get in the passenger seat for a test drive after advertising my car on autotrader. Initially onecall said they would treat it as theft and now, after 7 weeks, they say that they are rejecting my claim as I'm not covered for loss of the car by deception or trickery... I now owe finance and a loan on a new car totalling c. £10,000 . They also had sent an email saying they considered the car a total loss 2 weeks ago...I am totally distraught and unaware of how I'm going to repay the loss...I'm complaining to them but will keep this forum updated on the progress... Dreadful situation and dreadful company!!!

This is a pretty standard exclusion in motor insurance.
    Cant really blame onecall for this one.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure