Magnolia Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brilliant Bananachip - you will look fab man - groovy :cool:
    Mags - who loves shopping
  • Curvey_Kate
    Options
    Hello Ladies

I am hoping you can help me in my never ending search for the perfect bra. I normally buy Fantasie ones and have recently had to buy bra adjusters to make the back banding not so tight, I reckon I am a 44DD if the banding is bigger, I reduce the cup size and vice versa, does this make sense but I am really finding it hard to buy a good supportive bar, that the shoulders don't slip off, that the cup size is not lose around my bust when I sit down and where it does not rise up at the back. Also without the wires sticking up between my breasts

I have seen Elomi mentioned a lot on here but as I have a lot of exsess fat under my arm pits, the side support hurts, well it has done on the Fantasie ones so would prefer a bra that doesn't have them, they also looked padded and the reviews on Figleaves didn't seem too good.

I am loathe and ashamed to go get properly fitted, it is something that I would hate to do so am looking to find the anwers on the internet.

Sorry for waffling on but if you have any ideas I would love to hear them please.

Hope you are all well, Oh and the white linen trousers were a hit on holiday (thank you all) and I actually wore shorts on the beach because I wanted to be in some of the sea, this is the first time in about 15 years and though its not very nice to say and I don't mean in meanly but there were worse than me on the beach (also a lot better lol) but I had fun.

I am going to lose weight before next years holiday as I feel I am missing out, I dont mind even getting to a 18/16 but we shall see.

Love to you all
  • Ruth_honey
    Ruth_honey Posts: 2,831 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2011 at 10:56PM
    Options
    I personally love the Playtex 18 hour gel strap bra. I'm not sure if you can buy them in the UK as mine were bought when I went to Vegas last year. They're non wired, but I'm pretty sure they do a wired version too. I'm a 48DD in Evans bras (which always fall apart really quickly!) but 46 DD seem to fit me just fine-although I did buy a pack of 3 extenders while I was there ($5!). Since I bought them-in all 3 colours they had!-I've hardly worn any of my other bras. The straps are on the wide side & they aren't very low cut, but for an everyday, basic bra, I love them! So much so that my mum has been instructed to get me some more on her USA holiday next month! :)

Edited to add-Amazon UK seem to sell them but the pic shows the back of the bra with only 2 hooks. Mine has 4. Could be related to the sizes though. They're around £25 for a 46DD on there. Much cheaper in USA, but about the same price as evans bras. Not as pretty, mind you(but wash far better)
    Cross Stitch Cafe Monthly Challenge Member #27
    12/12/12 challenge-[STRIKE]Season's Greeting Newton's Law[/STRIKE] Christmas polar bear-finished on time! :)
    Thanks to all the girls in the Cross Stitch Cafe! You're all fantastic! :A
  • Curvey_Kate
    Options
    Thank you so much, have found some in UK, though they seem to all be wireless bars which worries me a little as I think (or I know) that I need support. How do you feel about the support your breast get from the wireless ones? Sorry, bit personal, feel free not to reply :o
  • Ruth_honey
    Ruth_honey Posts: 2,831 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much, have found some in UK, though they seem to all be wireless bars which worries me a little as I think (or I know) that I need support. How do you feel about the support your breast get from the wireless ones? Sorry, bit personal, feel free not to reply :o

Trust me, 48DD bangers NEED support & before I always bought wired bras, but when I tried these on in the shop, I was suprised to find that I did feel it supported enough. I love not having to worry about wires poking up into my armpits. Evans bras did that a lot! I can post a couple of pics tomorrow if you wanted to see what the fit was like.
    Oh, and I haven't found a proper sports bra in my size, but have been wearing these to the gym & they've been fine (although I don't do anything too bouncy anyway!). Hope that helps.
    Cross Stitch Cafe Monthly Challenge Member #27
    12/12/12 challenge-[STRIKE]Season's Greeting Newton's Law[/STRIKE] Christmas polar bear-finished on time! :)
    Thanks to all the girls in the Cross Stitch Cafe! You're all fantastic! :A
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I have seen Elomi mentioned a lot on here but as I have a lot of exsess fat under my arm pits, the side support hurts, well it has done on the Fantasie ones so would prefer a bra that doesn't have them, they also looked padded and the reviews on Figleaves didn't seem too good.

I went into a local lingerie shop last week during my lunch break and got measured and fitted. I was wearing a 38DD bought in the USA last year, but they fitted me a 36G in an Elomi bra, which I have been pretty impressed with. It's not padded. Apparently they are one of the Fantasie brands with bigger cup sizes, like Freya - which is aimed at younger women.
    Don't be embarrassed about getting properly fitted, it makes a big difference when you get one that suits you for both size and shape.
    Since getting fitted I've bought 2 more Elomi bras off ebay.
    Bravissimo are great for fittings too, but avoid Saturdays which are really busy.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • defairmans
    Options
    Has anyone tried this site? Bras are my nightmare. I feel anxious just thinking about shopping for a new one!

Magnolia, that outfit is crazy! She looks like she is about to be baptised! :D
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Options
    I'm having a welly nightmare!

The standard sizes are too small and won;t fit over my calves. Arrrrgh! Where do you ladies buy your wellies?
  • tpsjrm
    tpsjrm Posts: 408 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2011 at 7:23PM
    Options
    I'm having a welly nightmare!

The standard sizes are too small and won;t fit over my calves. Arrrrgh! Where do you ladies buy your wellies?

JD Williams catalogue do some wide-calf wellies in bright colours. Can't remember the calf sizes off hand but the web site will have them. They also do wide-calf winter boots, if you ever need them. Good luck.
  • SUESMITH_2
    SUESMITH_2 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    Options
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business