PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Who's Liable

I have just exchanged contracts on my new house.Great you may say.
I was allowed round to measure up for when we complete in 4 weeks time.I happened to mention that they would have to show me how the house alarm worked.This was one of the items included on the sheet you get from the solicitor.I was told that although the alarm was included and it shows all the signs of working, lights showing ect.,the vendors had not used it for about a year and when they did try to use it it didnt seem to work.
They said that since I had not checked it before exchanging contracts they assumed it was not going to be a problem as although they were asked if it was included in the sale, it didnt have anything to say wether it worked or not.They said that I was legally responsible for the alarm and it was up to me to sort it out.Can any one guide me in the right direction.Am I now legally responsible and is it my own fault since I didnt check it before exchange.I just assumed since it was on the sales form submitted to my solicitor that it would work.Also if this applies to the alarm, does it also apply to the central heating boiler,hob ect.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,028
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Unless you had a survey or report that said it was in fully working order, then you are responsible. It applies to everything in the house. This is what homebuyers reports and surveys are for. To pick up things which are not working or to find damage to property etc.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Wickedkitten
    Wickedkitten Posts: 1,868
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Was it advertised as coming with the alarm?
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • It wasnt advertised by the estate agent as having an alarm,the only time it was mentioned was on the sellers form received from the solicitor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure