PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I loved the far North of Scotland. It was like being on the roof of the world

And Fort William made up for its lack of charm by being so well situated for some of the most beautiful areas we saw

We drove down past Loch Lomond and that was lovely as well but in a different way, a bit more like the Lake District which is where we broke the journey last night.

Off to the Dales this am, we are staying with DH's sister tonight in Ilkley. So we are going through Ribblesdale so we can see the Ribblehead Viaduct. Maybe you can tell DH has a thing for viaducts
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Softstuff wrote: »

VJsmum, I'm not 5:2ing yet, I'm still doing the BSD, I have a couple months more of that, then I'll 5:2 for maintenance. I know what you mean about weighing in though, when I finally plucked up the courage it was a shedload more than I thought :o

I did the dreaded weigh in this morning - it was more than i hoped but not as much as i feared... I reckon I've about 10lbs to lose,which isn't tonnes but will make a difference in my wardrobe.. I think there has been a bit of 'kummerspeck' (literally: grief bacon) going on.

I also have developed an unsightly rash under my eyes, which i think is an allergic reaction - probably to dairy and / or alcohol (or more probably yeast) so although I do have a doctors appointment this pm, I am starting a no dairy / no alcohol / no yeast products for a month and we'll see where we are. This will be combined with the 5:2 but at 600 - 800 calories on the fast days... first day of that is tomorrow.... I will let you know how I get on...

So breakfast today is chocolate chia pudding with blueberries and raspberries and some chopped nuts, with a light salad for lunch and spanish omelette for tea
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VJsmum, 10lbs is quite a modest amount, it's surprising how much of a difference it makes though isn't it? I've lost just over 17lb so far and have about 19lbs to go. It sounds like a lot more in old money, think I prefer weigh ins in kilos :rotfl: If I only had my bacon for grief, I'd likely have not gained as much, but I don't reserve my eating for comfort, I have it for joy, boredom, and any other emotion going :o

The rash is quite intriguing and I'm curious what you'll find it is. After a dramatic improvement in my acne (which fortunately is my back not my face and had resisted all treatments since I was a teen) improvements have stalled. I'm now considering a couple of different things, one is laser therapy and the other is LED therapy. I've really exhausted all other options available to me.

I do love chia pudding. I'm also considerably fond of chia flaxmeal porridge, at least I am tastewise, but the appearance could be off putting to some :rotfl:

As for the grudges, my imagination is always a bit more amusing. So where I still bear them, it's more in a comedy fashion... like I occasionally imagine that if I was rich, I'd hire someone to move their car 2 rows along in the car park just to confuse them a little. Or I'd pay the restaurant they were dining in to serve them something odd they hadn't ordered (you mean you *didn't* order the beef in fudge sauce madam??). I think it would take more years of therapy than I have time or money for to get more adjusted not to bear a grudge at all, considering the sheer hell they put me through for many years.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Welcome back Ivyleaf I hope your holiday went well .

Wishing you sun tomorrow Silva and a fitting last journey to your dear aunt .

Crossing everything your son will turn up and the weather stays fair .
    I think I watched The House of Elliot at least three times over the years . As a crafter I found it fascinating plus the historical women making their way on there own talents and merits was good .

Glad you got the garden into shape Mar . Grey and warm here today so hopefully the coming days wont be too bad up the hill .

Well done SS on the perfect bra and sticking to the diet .

Maryb I'm with your husband when it comes to viaducts and also other great engineering feats . Isambard K Brunel is one of my heroes . I've read a great deal both factual and some fiction on the viaducts . it's astonishing the lives that were lost or injuries that occurred while the men and women moved around from settlement to settlement to basically make the impossible happen with brute strength and some dynamite . Enjoy your time in the Dales . Yorkshire is almost as dear to my heart as Scotland .

Good luck with the 10lbs VJ and with a bit of luck the exclusion diet may make a difference .

I love Victoria Wood . I can watch over and over and nothing seems dated apart from the outfits .
    Does anyone remember Housewife 49 ? Yesterday was official change the flannelette sheets for cotton day here . The top sheets were changed a while back to summer but we're cautious Oop North . I felt like the lady in the fur coat wondering aloud whether she should open the long hoarded tin of cream as they waited for the news on the radio that war was finally over .

Off for my lunch .
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I love the wild lonely places, I like being high and open and cannot abide feeling closed in by pretty wee villages with lanes and hedges etc. The RV on the other hand is the total opposite. Wee picturesque cottages on biscuit tin lids always please him.
    Bit too cold here for gardening today, its currently 11C and a biting wind, so I'm having a fascinating day clearing out kitchen drawers........ :D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2018 at 1:40PM
    Options

As for the grudges, my imagination is always a bit more amusing. So where I still bear them, it's more in a comedy fashion... like I occasionally imagine that if I was rich, I'd hire someone to move their car 2 rows along in the car park just to confuse them a little. Or I'd pay the restaurant they were dining in to serve them something odd they hadn't ordered (you mean you *didn't* order the beef in fudge sauce madam??). I think it would take more years of therapy than I have time or money for to get more adjusted not to bear a grudge at all, considering the sheer hell they put me through for many years.

I'm guessing you came on the receiving end of bullies at school from your comments?

I don't know how it's worked out for subsequent generations to my own (ie Baby Boomer) - and I can remember a few of these "characters:cool::mad:" from my schooldays. They should not have done it - and I do hope the Universe has appropriate karma lined-up for them.

It's been a big consolation to me when I realised just why those "characters" had been that way. I realised pretty much on the dot of 16. Well - in my generation - all that sort of person left school on the dot of 16 without exception (at least at the school I was at). All my friends and myself without exception stayed on - for one course or another (usually A Levels - back when they were really A levels and a precursor to going to get a "real" University degree iyswim).

That told me a LOT about just why these bullies were being that way - ie they were jealous. They either weren't capable of or weren't being allowed to stay on past 16 - and they had figured out that my friends and I were capable/were going to be allowed. Yep - jealousy then. I mean how stupid was that? - if they'd just had enough self-knowledge to know and acknowledge how they felt one way or the other and complained to me that they werent capable and/or werent being allowed to - I would have genuinely sympathised with them (having discovered that the reason my parents didnt kick me out of school at first possible chance is because that had happened to both my parents - and my father had insisted to my mother that that wasnt going to happen to me).

Duh! Both my parents had been forced out of school at 14 (ie they were the generation born in the 1930s). That was one thing to my mother (as she wouldnt have gone on anyway) - but my father had had teachers round pleading with his parents that he be allowed to have the scholarship he had just won to carry on with his education - and says he accepted it in that generation (as he knew his parents were poor - because they'd had too many children courtesy of pre-Pill/pre-abortion era) ..but was determined that shouldnt happen to anyone else.

Hence the bullies would have had every sympathy from me - if they knew they had decided to carry on schooling, but their parents wouldnt accept it. Even if they werent capable/didnt want to - I would still have been sympathetic.

EDIT; I guess what I'm saying Softstuff is to turn it on its head and regard it as a compliment to you. Yep....a very very odd compliment to say the least. But, at some level, they probably knew you had more "going for you" than they did and what they were doing (probably subconsciously) was trying to pull you down to their level. The compliment implied in this is that you werent at their level in the first place iyswim.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't go for actual "revenge" but if I hear of the perpetrator getting their come-uppance, I smile to myself and think "Ain't karma a b*tch?" And if someone has done something awful to me, I never, ever trust them again. "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" style of thing.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
    edited 23 April 2018 at 3:08PM
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    I don't go for actual "revenge" but if I hear of the perpetrator getting their come-uppance, I smile to myself and think "Ain't karma a b*tch?" And if someone has done something awful to me, I never, ever trust them again. "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" style of thing.

I have seen some very precision-orientated karma during my lifetime.

More than once I've seen someone say "That illness Money is currently experiencing doesnt exist in the first place etc etc and, if it does, it's her illness and not someone else's fault" - ie work-related illness I've experienced in the past (not "my own" illness) iyswim.

It was followed (more than once) by someone that had ridiculed the whole idea that I was ill and/or implied that if I was it was to do with me personally coming down with the same illness and having to "eat humble pie" and come to me for my advice on how to handle it. I admit I would have liked/would still like for them to apologise to me for when they ridiculed me saying "There is an illness here - and it's nothing to do with me personally. An outside factor has created it":(.

I could have turned round and said "Why are you asking for my advice and help now - about an illness you were being insistent didnt exist or, if it did, was down to me personally?". Believe me - I have been SO tempted to say things like that and "tell them where to go":cool:. They would have richly deserved it for sure.

But I took the view of "be the better person - and be helpful" and it is true that not one of them has come back to me and said "You could have told me exactly where to get off - and I would have understood and I thank you that you didnt do so":cool::cool::cool:.

I am still hoping that one of these fine days I might get a bit of acknowledgement and thanks for discounting their previous actions and helping anyway:cool: - but I won't hold my breath 'tis true.:(

It IS hard/very hard to hope that things will "balance out" over time and people won't derive any benefit/will get come-uppance for bad behaviour. Tell me about it - and I still struggle with it.

It is difficult to have someone do summat/say summat they shouldnt to oneself personally (tell me about it....:cool::mad:) and try and think "Calm down - it'll be put on the Karmic Bill". Mygawd - it's blimmin' hard sometimes....

But I am coming to the conclusion these days that is probably the best way to operate overall.

It is certainly becoming clear to me these days just how much most people are a "product of their environment". I've certainly realised I'm very much (and always will be) a product of my own environment (ie 1. a wealthy environment - if not my own family darn it - I wish! 2. a questioning environment) 3. very analytical 4. taking it absolutely for granted that we mean the country as a whole (ie the whole of Britain) when we refer to "the country" and most definitely not one tiny area of the country etc etc.

We are (the vast majority of us) in a "bubble" where what we know/what we think/what we take for granted is The Norm and most of us live in "very small circles" and honestly don't seem to realise that we do! Then one realises that many (Most) other people also seem to exist in a Bubble - and they don't even realise that they aren't "seeing things as they are"....
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry money I don't agree on people who are products of their environment . Some of the most innovative thinkers , medical people and people who helped change society for the good came from poor backgrounds .
    You may not think you carry a grudge but you carry a long memory for everything you judged wrong from your point of view .You haven't let it go and moved forward . The detail of each remembered incident is recalled in detail .
    I have good friends in Haverfordwest and can never understand how Wales is judged and compared to " Home Area " and found wanting .
    If you never spoke to people back in HA like the person you described when to trying to pull discussion to your sort of topic ,you just never met those people . It's not regional or tied to the UK . If you roamed the world you would hear of grudges .
    My personal belief is one life , live it . I could moan about the past but want to make the most of my time on earth .
    I'm more concerned trying to change things in many ways for the Ken Loach Cathy's and Daniels , keep fighting for the NHS , those who were left to sleep in the snow here as SWEP was brought into force here this winter . The nearest shelter for no second night out is over 20 miles away which is a challenge either too weak . worn down or penniless to get there . It's full by the time they could get there anyway .
    My concerns are for those who are vulnerable and often invisible .
    SWEP was activated 4 times and it was the local fire authority opening their station at night to the homeless that saved a number of deaths .
    My opinions , words or thought are no more valid than yours . I don't own conversation . Simple to excuse yourself and leave if it isn't to your taste . No need for endless cogitation on the matter .
    My belief is do what you can and my life is far to busy to get involved with trying to make others follow my way .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
    edited 23 April 2018 at 4:27PM
    Options
    SWEP - Severe Weather Emergency Protocol.

That's my fact learnt for the day - as I had no idea what those initials meant.

I do hold to most people are products of their environment. The thing is as to whether they know they are or no.

For instance - re religion to take one example. My parents have very different views on that. One is Anglican and one is humanist. With that - the result was that I got sent off to Sunday School when pretty young (presumably to learn the "basics" of our society's dominant religion). Then I was left to it to make up my own mind - as neither of them could/would have pushed their own way (with them both thinking so differently on that front). So I went through all sorts of investigating/thinking for myself - and the end result was a person that is quite firm about how they think things are (and it's a very different way of thinking to most British people) and takes the very liberal view of "Be (or don't be) whatever-the-heck-you-like in that respect. It's down to you". Probably the basis of "thinking for myself" in many respects in fact....

I think that was a pretty correct viewpoint imo - as I am often aware of whether someone is Anglican, Methodist, Evangelical, some other religion altogether or atheist or humanist. Whichever it is = I take the view that's entirely up to them and none of my business and I do think that's down to my "mixed" upbringing in that respect.

A poor background per se isn't going to influence peoples thinking one way or the other basically (other than a consciousness that people may get more or less out of life than they personally merit - after all my fathers comments about how upsetting it was to see people being officers in the Armed Forces over him - when he knew very well he was more capable than them, but they'd come from the "right background"). Other than the way it has caused my father to be very firm that no-one should be held back because they have come from a poor background - and that's a viewpoint I've taken on board personally and I believe people should have whatever they personally are capable of. My fathers intelligence level means he does "question" - and so no-one anywhere is ever going to stop me questioning.

"Long memory"?? I think most of us that were bullied in childhood will have thought about why that happened and hoped the "scales were going to be set right" somewhere along the line. If one doesnt think that = you've become A Victim imo. Most of us don't want to be Victims. We want to work out why things happened/any way they could have been prevented/how to ensure they dont happen in the future/how to protect other people from the same treatment. I think that's reasonable.

After some "chip on shoulder" treatment I've had from a couple of others recently - I'm all lined-up ready to stand up for anyone else that looks to be on the receiving end of that. So, when I've spotted it going on - I've turned round and spoken up to defend the person who was being "chipped at".

I don't think it came over clearly - but it's not "found wanting" about things going on - but comparison with what one knows and then working out what one is used to/thought was the norm and then figuring out how well it suits one (or otherwise) personally and how fair (or otherwise) one thinks it is generally.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback