Kent - a good base for a week

Options
Having never been to Kent before, and wanting to visit Hastings, Dover Castle and Leeds Castle we are looking to rent a cottage for a week in May.

We expect to be driving and day tripping most days, but would like a busy-ish area to where we can go out in the evening to eat, or spend a couple of days 'home' if the weather is nice.

Whistable, has come up as a possibility - any advice or suggestions please?
"On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.

Comments

• Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hastings, (which is actually in Sussex), is a good 90 minute drive each way from Whitstable. Personally I'd swap Canterbury for Hastings.

There are also some interesting attractions around Rochester/Chatham such as Dockyards, Castles and the Charles Dickens connections.
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We know where Hastings is, but want to visit 'to the right' as we've not been to this part of the country before.

Settled on Whitstable - Canterbury will be on the list too.
    Thanks
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    liney wrote: »
    We know where Hastings is, but want to visit 'to the right' as we've not been to this part of the country before.

Settled on Whitstable - Canterbury will be on the list too.
    Thanks
    So Rye and Dungeness!:)
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Faversham is also quite nice and Broadstairs is worth a visit for the lovely beach, little vintage shops and lovely kitsch ice cream parlour! http://morellisgelato.com/
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alikay wrote: »
    Faversham is also quite nice and Broadstairs is worth a visit for the lovely beach, little vintage shops and lovely kitsch ice cream parlour! http://morellisgelato.com/
    Yes excellent ice cream place. On a good day the walk from Broadstairs towards Margate is very pleasant particularly the chalk stacks at Botany Bay.
  • blues
    blues Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Broadstairs and Whitstable are both nice. From Broadstairs you can walk to Ramsgate in one direction and Margate the other. Tankerton near Whitstable is worth a visit if you like a walk by the sea. Hever Castle is great in Spring.
  • jrtfan
    jrtfan Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Mount Ephraim Gardens are about a 20-min drive inland from Whitstable and well worth spending an afternoon exploring (fabulous views from the top, by the main house).

http://www.mountephraimgardens.co.uk/the-gardens/

There are also some interesting attractions around Rochester/Chatham such as Dockyards, Castles and the Charles Dickens connections.

Continue on through Rochester to Higham, and there's Gad's Hill Place (where Dickens spent the last few years of his life). It's an Independent School during the week but I believe it does open on specific days for guided tours and cream teas!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g7104495-d8559997-Reviews-Gad_s_Hill_Place-Higham_Kent_England.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure