I did the SOA thing:
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 0
    Number of cars owned.................... 0

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2200
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 800 maybe your OH can look at increasing this with a P/T job while he builds the new business.
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 3000

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0 nothing at all or mortgage payments at all?
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 149.22 is this over 10 months, if so change to 12 instead.
    Electricity............................. 112.68
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 0 Are you in Scotland?
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 25.54
    TV Licence.............................. 0
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 101.58 this is quite low - is it accurate? don't forget about the trips to pick up bread/milk which don't get done in the big shop
    Clothing................................ 10
    Petrol/diesel........................... 0
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 0
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0 how do you travel anywhere?
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 34
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 903.48 is this an error?
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 0 you need something in here - false economy not to
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 29.25 what's this?
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 20
    Haircuts................................ 0 do you do this yourself?
    Entertainment........................... 128.98
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0 nothing in here - you talk of a nightmare year with the house - this would budget for occasional nightmares.
    Bank Accounts........................... 22 what's this?
    Magazines............................... 21.77this is a luxury, ditch until you're debt free.
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1558.5

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 0

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Bank Loan......................5933.83...182.9.....17.5
    Credit Card 1..................7623.34...120.8.....4.5
    Credit Card 2..................7523.21...78........19
    Credit Card 7..................3027.92...0.........0 not even a minimum payment.
    Credit Card 6..................900.......8.77......0
    Credit Card 5..................4666.99...46........0
    Credit Card 4..................2290.73...22.91.....0
    Credit Card 3..................7337.89...292.7.....29.9

Comments added in red - This budget shows you have funds left each month, what happens to this money?
    If you don't have this money left, you need to keep a spending diary.

If you do have this money left then you need to amend the SOA, put funds in an EF and overpay the highest interest bearing debt first which appears to be CC3.
    Use the snowball method and once you've paid one debt use the overpayments and minimum payments to pay the next debt and so on.

OP - many people take a few attempts to get the SOA spot on.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    I think the OP may have had us on.

No Mortgage/rent payments, no water bills, no tv licence, no internet costs, etc etc but a stupid amount for vet fees.

Could it be an elephant in the room?
    It might be a lax approach to budgeting that explains the stated problem.

Why do I think we'll never know?
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I think the OP may have had us on.

No Mortgage/rent payments, no water bills, no tv licence, no internet costs, etc etc but a stupid amount for vet fees.

Could it be an elephant in the room?

They stated that they live rent free but are responsible for the upkeep (living in relatives house maybe) but you're right it doesn't explain the lack of the other costs.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • DebtFreeWannabeHezza
    DebtFreeWannabeHezza Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2018 at 4:55PM
    Sorry, had a rough few days feeding a ridiculously early litter of baby hedgehogs (they're meant to be born in the early summer), whose mum seems to have been killed, so haven't had any free time.

Thank you for your comments so far.

So, to answer queries against the SOA:
    We live in a property provided by my work, and landline telephone, my mobile, home insurance and broadband are provided.
    Yes, we are in Scotland but I think our water is paid for by the business; we don't pay it, anyway.
    We don't own a TV since the old one broke - it's well down the list of priorities to get a new one.
    We grow our own veg (from last year's seed) as far as possible, and we get our eggs from our vet in the summer, so it's only meat, milk and winter eggs, plus veg top-up that we buy.
    Both our vehicles are owned by businesses - my car is provided by my work and my husband's is owned by his business. His is only used for the business and my personal mileage comes off my salary (the salary figure given is after deductions).
    We run an animal sanctuary (in our spare time), so our monthly food bill is about £350, vet bills are about £370 and insurance is about £180.
    Other insurance is insurance on the appliances in the house - washing machine, fridge-freezer etc. and since basically the only part of our washing machine that's original is the case, and the whole fridge-freezer has been replaced, they've been well worthwhile.
    I get my hair cut maybe once every three years and I cut my husband's hair with a set of clippers we bought years ago.
    Bank accounts is chargeable accounts - my main account is a Santander 1-2-3 account, which costs £2 for the account and £5 for the credit card (or the other way around), but we get more than that in cashback (against gas/electricity, council tax and my work fuel and travel spends), and my husband's account is a rewards account with Halifax that costs £15 per month but includes his vehicle breakdown cover, mobile phone insurance and various other things that he used to pay for separately - it works out cheaper to get it with the account.
    Magazines are a couple of publications my husband needs for his work and one that I get to do with the animal sanctuary - it's a 12-month contract, though, and rolled-over in November, so I can't stop it until the end of the year anyway.

It's an error that there's no minimum showing for Credit Card 7 - that should be £30.

We are in the process of building a kennels/cattery, so my husband had reduced his hours to allow us to build that. We would have been fine, financially if we hadn't had all the costs with the house last year (£20k!), because that money would have paid off the Balance Transfers that expire this month. However, the stress of having months of living with no heating, power in only some parts of the house, no floors for weeks at a time, etc. triggered my mental health issues. As a result, I wasn't staying on top of our finances so I didn't register that we were going to run out of time with these BTs until a couple of weeks ago, otherwise I'd have postponed the kennels build last year, so that my husband could take on more work until our finances had recovered from the expenses on the house. The stage of build we're at now we can't really stop so we'll just have to keep going (need to get the building weather-tight) and hope I can find a way to manage us through this period.

The build is costing us an average of about £330 per month, so that leaves £330 spare for paying off debts. I have never missed a loan, HP or credit card payment (I have Direct Debits set up to pay off our regular use cards in full and to pay off the minimums on the Balance Transfers) and have no CCJs or anything like that. The only negatives on my credit file are the fact that we don't own our home and that we've got a high debt utilisation rate.

That's why it's so frustrating - if I could have got a loan at the published rate, I could have used that to pay off the two Balances that are now incurring interest (Credit Card 2 and Credit Card 3 - Credit Card 1 is only at 4.5% so that doesn't bother me) and by the time the other BTs come up for their end dates, we'll have finished building (so have an extra £300+ available because we won't be spending it on the build) and my husband will be back to full time so will be earning another £1000 per month, plus whatever we make with the kennels.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for the update and clarity.

Having a surplus is a good start - this will need to be tweaked when your minimum payments change as they start to incur interest.

If the surplus is actually available overpay the most expensive debt and keep chipping away until your income alters then review again.

Not being able to get a consolidation loan has been the best bit of bad news you could have had - you probably won't agree at the moment but when you look back you will be glad as it rarely works.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Running an animal sanctuary is admirable but requires a bottomless pit of money unless you are funded by a larger rescue organisation. My best friend did it for five years. I think you should scale that down not up.
    If you want to keep going with it get funding from as wide a pool as possible. I'd suggest the following (which you may already be doing):

Support from a larger organisation: They sometimes sponsor individual independent rescues on an annual basis.
    Easy fundraising
    Pledge a pound
    Waitrose green token for local fundraising
    Asda, same as Waitrose.
    Sponsorships of a kennel, hutch or long term resident
    Promotion via social media
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would give up on the animal
    Sanctuary idea atm while your in debt.

Your partners wage is eaten up by the vet bills and you said he has reduced his hours to build something for the sanctuary.
    I!!!8217;m sorry but your not in the right time to do that given his wage just covers the bills for the sanctuary. I think he needs to increase his hours in the business or a get a job that pays a set amount each month.

I know you will want to help these animals but you won!!!8217;t be able to help fully with the stress of debt hanging over your shoulder. What if you have to move at some point which means you will have to pay rent or mortgage which is another expense on top of your debts. You can!!!8217;t afford to do that now how will you afford to do it if you have to move
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Thanks for the feedback. I think there's a bit of confusion, though - the Kennels/Cattery are nothing to do with the sanctuary. They are going to be a paying business. The sanctuary is run from in our house and we're in the process of trying to scale it down but we can't just chuck the animals we've got out so we're gradually finding them homes as appropriate places become available - we rehomed ten adult cats last year and we've still got another six to go.

The Kennels/Cattery that my husband is building will be a stand-alone business (we have set up a Limited company) and the existing kennels and catteries in this area are oversubscribed by up to 80% so there's plenty of demand. We should be able to hit the ground running early next year.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I think there's a bit of confusion, though - the Kennels/Cattery are nothing to do with the sanctuary. They are going to be a paying business. The sanctuary is run from in our house and we're in the process of trying to scale it down but we can't just chuck the animals we've got out so we're gradually finding them homes as appropriate places become available - we rehomed ten adult cats last year and we've still got another six to go.

The Kennels/Cattery that my husband is building will be a stand-alone business (we have set up a Limited company) and the existing kennels and catteries in this area are oversubscribed by up to 80% so there's plenty of demand. We should be able to hit the ground running early next year.

You say the house and I guess the land is provided for by your work.

If you were to leave your work, what would happen to the building your husband is building?
    What does you agreement / contract /lease from your employer say about you building and running (your husband) a business from their land?
    Have you got the relevant license / insurnces etc in place or a figure available for this kennel business? has it been factored in to your costs?
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • The kennels/cattery is being done with their input - they could hardly miss it happening, given that it's right outside their building.

We have the relevant planning agreements in place. The licence can't be given until the building is up, but we've already spoken to the relevant people and yes, those costs are factored in. The company is providing the initial running costs, so we don't have to worry about those - we just have to cover the cost of getting the building up.

As regards what would happen to the building if I left my work, it wouldn't make any difference. Even if we were living somewhere else, we still have a 10-year lease for the land, so we could still run the kennels, though it would be a bit of a pain if we were elsewhere. Why do you ask?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure