Heading Towards a Problem

12346»

Comments

• Hi Bracken

Well done for facing this and for posting up the SOA.

I agree with others that there aren't many areas you can cut back so you need to both increase your income and reduce your monthly debt repayments and find a way for the two to meet in the middle.

I can see that it isn't possible for either of you to take on any more shifts at work but are there any other things that you can do? I guess you are DBS checked - could you babysit locally? Often kids are in bed and so you'd be able to do your coursework. Babysitters who can drive themselves home are often gold-dust! Whilst you are at Uni (ie not on placement) could you pick up any care work in the evening or on the way home? Is there anything your partner could do? Perhaps gardening - a lot of people struggle with this in the summer and would be very happy to pay someone else to mow their lawn.

Even just a little extra that you could throw at the really high APR debts would help with the overall total.
    MSE aim: more thanks than posts :j
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Can you sign up to local agencies for you to get extra shifts? (bars/ hospitality/ supermarkets / retail shops for example)

Can you move the high APR cards to 0% rates ones?

Have you contacted your local union / student union / student advisory or similar about a hardship fund to see if anything is available
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • cms-help
    cms-help Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    braken2000 wrote: »
    Thanks tbagpuss :)

I have a couple of prescriptions a month so am currently on the 12 month PPC. Although have now got the form to fill in and see if I can get it even cheaper, so fingers cross on that. Had not thought about asking for a bigger refill, as opposed to "every month" which is a pain. Might ask for that just for convenience if nothing else :).

There is unfortunately no funding available for me in terms of grants etc. It is not a sector that attracts many at all, and due to having previous student loan I am classed as "self funding" which is why I am in this mess. :(

Do you not get free prescriptions as a full-time low income student? Or is it something you have to apply for? My doctor prescribes packs of 56 tablets, as opposed to a pack of 28 (e.g. every other month instead of every other month). I don't know if it is common practice with civilian surgeries though as prescriptions are a source of income for GP surgeries.
  • braken2000
    braken2000 Posts: 659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Unfortunately can not get 0% cards. One has already given us some breathing space which is good. Just got to get on to the others but am on nights now so will have to wait until tomorrow :).

Thanks for the extra work ideas, will definately look into them. My DBS is not transferrable, but might be on the update service so can use that if I am :).

Because I am over 19 I have to apply for it. The form took me a good hour yesterday, they do not make it easy that is for sure!

My uni does an Access to Learning Fund, but this has closed for the year unfortunately. I am going to go and see them when I can to ask about hardship however as there is not much mention of it anywhere.
  • Does your partner work for the NHS? If so, and the pay negotiations are accepted once voting has taken place, he would get a lump sum of back pay (guidance is this will come in the summer backdated to April). This could be used potentially to pay off a couple of the credit card debts?? Plus if he is due to move up a grade the increase in wage could be quite significant.

BDFSH x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport