Bathroom quote

Hi all,

I've decided to update my bathroom and have recently had a couple of quotes for installation. The bathroom is approx 6' x 6', with a loo, pedestal basin and a bath with overhead thermostatic shower (with riser rail). It's currently half tiled.

I want to replace it with a new white suite, middle of the range, nothing fancy, and floor to ceiling (ceramic) tiles. There will be no change to any of the plumbing, no electrical work, literally just a like for like replacement.

I'm being quoted in the region of £5,700-£8000 for installation alone. One chap is charging £130 per sq meter for tiling! :eek: These aren't even the big boys like B&Q, Wickes etc.

Am I being ripped off? I've never redone a bathroom before but I've done my research and these prices just seem inexplicably high considering the size and finish I'm after! Can someone advise if this is the going rate for a straightforward refit? I'm based in Warwickshire.

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    3k for installation

HTH

Russ (Warks!!)
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ruski wrote: »
    3k for installation

HTH

Russ (Warks!!)

There's always variables but I think it's around there too if the OP hasn't forgotten something exciting.

Nicola (Worcs!)
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I!!!8217;m guessing only two of the three trades estimating costs will be around much longer.
  • Doozergirl
    I!!!8217;m guessing only two of the three trades estimating costs will be around much longer.

You were right!
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘Is This Quote Fair?’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Milliepops: did the quotes include tiling?

We're looking at having similar work done, but OH trying to keep the old tiles to save expenses. I'm not sure result will be successful.
  • Doozergirl
    Milliepops: did the quotes include tiling?

We're looking at having similar work done, but OH trying to keep the old tiles to save expenses. I'm not sure result will be successful.

It won't be. Change the tiles.

I wouldn't use Millie's quote for comparison. It was labour only, including tiling but that is really high for an ordinary bathroom.

£5-8,000 should get you a typical, averagely sized bathroom, fully tiled with a suite of a decent standard.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    ^This £5-8k quote is interesting! When I watch "Homes Under The Hammer" etc kitchen and bathroom renovations are always top of the list, yet the cost seems to be minimal, even accounting for DIY installation. The magic of TV, eh?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    ^This £5-8k quote is interesting! When I watch "Homes Under The Hammer" etc kitchen and bathroom renovations are always top of the list, yet the cost seems to be minimal, even accounting for DIY installation. The magic of TV, eh?

Labour is usually the biggest cost. I've fitted my own kitchens & bathrooms for £1200 or less. (Nothing luxurious, but reasonable/ok quality)
  • Doozergirl
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

Don't get me started on that programme. It enrages me.
    I've seen dry rot painted over, I've seen properties with damp patches visibly coming back through the walls. I've seen 'refurbishments' that barely involved cleaning the existing place. Terrible workmanship visible on a TV doesn't stand the place in great stead for the future.

Some 'landlords' think tenants are second class citizens and deserve to live in damp hovels.

Even if they do a half decent job, they're motivated to lie for their ego to show them making (more) money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure