Money Moral Dilemma: How should we split the bills in our house?

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    clint_S wrote: »
    Not enough info to answer this. Are you all living in the house? Is this an investment property? What bills?
    It's a 'money moral dilemma' posted by MSE staff, not a real person asking for advice.

You won't get any more information than has been given, unless someone finds the original thread that kicked off this MMD and posts a link to it.
  • TeamPlum
    TeamPlum Posts: 213 Forumite
    Pollycat - I wasn't responding to the OP
  • Assuming that 'bills' means fuel, landline, water/sewage, Council tax, any paid-for shared-use TV, broadband, not to mention household insurance, I believe these should be paid from a separate account into which you contribute on a one third/two thirds ratio.

You should also probably have a third of the fridge, unless there is space for a small one just for you.

This will also have to apply to saving for the inevitable annual surprise problem (washing-machine on the blink, side gate blows off, boiler breakdown - you know the sort of thing).

The more structured the solution, the less likely there are to be arguments.
  • TBagpuss wrote: »
    Bills split 3 ways - i.e. they pay 2/3 between them, you pay 1/3.
    Mortgage and Buildings Insurance 50/50 reflecting your respecitve insterests in the house.

And if you don't already have one, get advice with a view to having a formal deed drawnup clearly setting out who owns what, who pays what, and what happens when one of you wants to sell or leave.

Exactly this. I assume everyone buys their own food, etc though. Perhaps general kitty for household cleaning?
  • You have mixed liabilities. The property is owned 25:25:50 so all property maintenance costs and liabilities should also be split 25:25:50, just as was the cost of the initial purchase, and will be the proceeds of sale at termination. This includes building insurance, house improvements and repairs, and probably decoration.

Your 'living costs' liabilities are likely to mediate somewhere close to 33:33:33, depending on each individual's desire to consume. These might include cleaning materials, utility bills, council tax, contents insurance.

'Personal' bills are down to each individual, perhaps TV licence, petrol, food, newspaper deliveries.

It's the perfect job for a spreadsheet.
  • Cheekyoldcow - just wondering but what does IKR stand for?
    Team Plum - I agree, can't see the point of being married if you're not prepared to share your income and your outgoings - maybe this a generational thing but as soon as we got married 43 years ago everything just became 'ours'.
  • Maybe it is a generational thing but my wife and I have our own separate money but both put in a set amount each month to our joint account for food and bills. When we both want to spend our incomes on different things that cost different amounts, we just don't see it as fair to share all the money. I'm notoriously shrewd and she's quite frivolous so we'd only end up arguing anyway - and we wouldn't have any money at all to repair our boiler next week because she'd have spent it all on makeup, theatre tickets and presents for babies of people who she works with!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    If this bills thing has not been thought through before buying probably means the actual purchase was not though through properly either and there is not proper trust deed in place with sensible exit conditions and how to manage things like overpayments on the debts and a can't pay won't pay scenario.
  • Senseicads
    Senseicads Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    maddigunn wrote: »
    Cheekyoldcow - just wondering but what does IKR stand for?

Stands for I know right
  • maddigunn wrote: »
    Cheekyoldcow - just wondering but what does IKR stand for?
    Team Plum - I agree, can't see the point of being married if you're not prepared to share your income and your outgoings - maybe this a generational thing but as soon as we got married 43 years ago everything just became 'ours'.

My new hubby and I also have separate accounts, but for me it's because my ex-husband got us in to so much debt it took me years to clear 'my share' after we split, and I vowed never to let anyone do that to me again.

My new hubby had to jump through several hoops to prove his worth before we finally got married, and now we have a pot of money for 'us', but also pots for 'him' and 'her', also this way I don't have to justify my spending frivolous amounts on 'yet more' cute adorable stuff for the cats, cos it's my money I'm spending, not 'ours'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure