We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Tomato plant stem going yellow and bald

Options
wishuponastar
wishuponastar Posts: 779 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 8 May 2018 at 3:29PM in Gardening
PHOTOS NOW ADDED-PLEASE SEE NEAR THE BOTTOM OF PAGE.

I've got a few tomato plant babies that I've grown from seed and I repotted them the other week.

Anyway on one, the stem was nice healthy and purple with little hairs on it but since then it's developed a streak of yellow or discolouration on the stem, about 1 cm above the soil and lasts for about 2cm. The stem looks like it is getting thinner at that part too and has lost the hair on that bit also. I'm worried as it is starting to appear in a much smaller area on my biggest plant's stem now too.

The leaves are still green and healthy at the mo but it doesn't seem to be getting much bigger compared to it's buddies and as I say the stem seems to be getting thinner at that bit.

The plant is about 1 finger tall above the soil in about a yoghurt pot size container if that is any help.

Any ideas as to what caused it and how to fix it would be of use?

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yellowing/balding stems on tomatoes are often the sign of a virus, so ditch all the affected plants before it spreads to the others. Its still early enough to plant more if you need.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any chance of a photo?

I pricked mine out a couple of weeks ago, buried up to their necks. Now those stems are between 1" and 1½" with the two first leaves dying off.

The stems are not hairy (the shouldn't be) the stem buried was hairy.

But they "could" be described as "yellowing" but I'm not worried so it could be quite normal.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The embryonic leaves dying-off as the plant develops is nothing unusual but yellowing/discolouration on Tomatoes usually means something is wrong and IME it usually isn't worth the effort to try and correct it as you almost always end-up with weakened/compromised plants.

Some info on tomato viruses here but a google will turn-up a host of images of the different types.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=250
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    I'll take a photo tomorrow, it might take me a day or so to download it from my camera as I'm a bit of a technophobe and need to find my lead that plugs into my computer (it's been a while so could be anywhere).

I should have mentioned the discolouration is not all the way round the stem, it appears like how I imagine a stretch mark on the main stem would be if it was growing too wide too fast. If that makes any sense?

When I say bald, I mean the small tiny little hairs that are on the stem when you look close up, that's what are missing from the discoloured part.

It's like a loss of purple pigment so like a cream colour. The first leaves dried up and came off so it's just it's true leaves and they generally look pretty healthy to me anyway.

Pogofish, thanks for the link, I had a look, it doesn't look like that or anything I've seen online. I know what you are saying about starting again but I'm quite attached already to my tomato babies and would hate to give up on them. I lost a few little ones and these ones I have left were my best ones so really hoping they survive.
  • Linda32
    Options
    Tomatoes do get bad press with regard to virus etc. but I have found them pretty easy, so long as you do not start too early, which you have not done.

I have only ever had one case of blight in 14 years growing outside, and that was last year on two plants in a line, no others effected. Last year being warm and wet. I would hang onto your babies. :)
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    Thanks Linda, I've taken photos today, just need to keep looking for the lead I need to download...when I find it i'll put them on here.

My babies are indoors, haven't felt brave enough to put them outside yet.
  • Linda32
    Options
    No, unless you are on the tip of Cornwall, it is too early yet to put them out. I am in the East MIdlands and would not put them out before the end of May.
  • wishuponastar
    edited 23 April 2018 at 12:53PM
    Options
    Thanks Linda, I'll keep them inside.

I have found my download lead (last night) so should be able to get the pics up over next couple of days.

Plant update: The worst affected plant is still doing ok and leaves look healthy, it seems like as time has progressed that it looks like something has 'eaten' the first layer of the stem halfway round the plant if that makes sense, hence why it seems to have lost it's purple colour? But it doesn't start until about 1cm up so I'm confused as I would have thought if it was a bug then they would start eating from the soil line upwards or is this not the case?

They have been indoors so not sure what bug it would be... (after some reading realised it is likely to be cutworm)
  • wishuponastar
    edited 23 April 2018 at 12:54PM
    Options
    Further update: after loads of internet reading I think my tomato plant might have been affected by 'cutworm' damage.

As they tend to use the first little part of the stem to stand on and then munch which is what it looks like I've got. That would explain the hairless thing too. Not sure though, but that is my best guess.

Going to sprinkle egg shell around the base of my other babies just in case (as I was reading that can work well to deter the nasty things from eating the stems). Just hope it doesn't force them to eat the roots as a result.

If that is the case, am I better to turn the affected part into root? i.e. bury it just above this level?
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    I have my photos and I went to upload them but I can't figure out how to do this? Am I missing something obvious? Can someone help me how to do this? All I can see is the title and description separate boxes and the icons/smiles but no where to put the photo? I've tried copying the photo and pasting into the description box but nothing happens.

Update, the worst affected tomato plant is still growing, I repotted it a week or so ago and it has now grown to be one of the biggest so that is good. I've not covered the affected stem bit so much but figured that when I repot again I will.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure