Can I ask for intrest on Overpayment?

Options
Hi all, this is not exactly a question of recovering bank charges per se but not sure where else this fits. Having just checked my credit file for the first time in a long while, I have found that new dat ( Debenhams) have held onto an overpayment of £680 on a store card which I thought closed in 2103!!

I’ve naturally contacted them and the £680 is being paid back to me with no quibbling at all, however I’m now wondering how much that money would have accrued and if there was any way to recover this?

Does anyone have experience of such a situation?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. Deposit taking is subject to separate regulation.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    however I!!!8217;m now wondering how much that money would have accrued and if there was any way to recover this?

Zero.

You overpaid it. Not the card company. Some people do overpay and it is used up on the next purchases. So, there is no wrongdoing here.

However, interest would have been around £20 had you left it in an interest paying account.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure