Nationwide Flex

Nationwide are very odd.

I applied for a Flex Account and credit card about 14 months ago. I was turned down for both but offered their “Basic” Account.

I recent applied again for a credit card with them and was approved for £11k.

So I thought great, Illl ask them to upgrade my Basic Account. They told me “No”! .....lol

Go figure?

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    maxximus75 wrote: »
    Nationwide are very odd.

I applied for a Flex Account and credit card about 14 months ago. I was turned down for both but offered their !!!8220;Basic!!!8221; Account.

So I thought great, Illl ask them to upgrade my Basic Account. They told me !!!8220;No!!!8221;! .....lol

Go figure?

Answer is in the Basic Account.

And don't forget when you apply for a having a current account upgrade, you will be checked with one of the credit agencies. Looks like somethings flagged up.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Apply for an account elsewhere. Switch the basic account out and close.

In a few months time, apply for the Flex account.
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It just surprises me that they can approve me for a £12k CC and not a full account.....lol
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Blimey, inflation is running high, £1000 increase in less than 3 hours! :rotfl:
    It just surprises me that they can approve me for a £12k CC and not a full account.....lol
  • maxximus75
    Hahahha.

Slip of the fingers...... :)
  • In past, there was a problem with upgrading basic account. The way to go, was to open new standard account.
  • Its definitely worth persisting though guys. I switched from a Halifax Ultimate Reward account after years of being with the Halifax because the travel insurance stopped covering my pre-existing medical condition (I had a stroke). Nationwide carried out a telephone screening and I was accepted straight away at no extra cost. It was going to cost me £150 for additional annual travel insurance to cover the stroke so well worth the switch for me as we go away 3 or 4 times a year
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    In past, there was a problem with upgrading basic account. The way to go, was to open new standard account.

Upgrades are based on credit info and account conduct.
    New accounts are usually just based upon the former.

This can make a new account easier but I would question why they didn't offer a FlexAccount (without overdraft) if the OP didn't have any credit nasties?
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    This can make a new account easier but I would question why they didn't offer a FlexAccount (without overdraft) if the OP didn't have any credit nasties?

Maybe the recent acceptance for a £11/12k credit card flagged up as a nasty?

Also, aren't Nationwide's credit cards actually provided by a third party? Maybe the acceptance for a credit card is based on an entirely different approach to risk.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • maxximus75
    The request to upgrade the account was before they approved me for the credit card.

I’m not sure if I’d be eligible to apply for the flex account if I already hold the basic?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure