health and safety issue?

Comments

• worried123 wrote: »
    Thank you force awakens...i was beginning to think it was just me

I think you misunderstood force's reply......
  • worried123
    worried123 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 July 2017 at 12:41AM
    However, i never said that i `think` i work for them. my employment status was never an issue - i `do` work for them....i am glad that i dont work for `sangie` thats for sure. i would like to think that i did understand forces reply - i have just looked at other threads - unfair dismissal as one and think i got off lightly with sangie....good grief!!! who is she?
  • worried123
    Does it cheer you up at all to know that you have cheered me up? I am struggling with PRINCE2 project management ATM - the most boring course I have ever done. Your predicament made me think about breaking your task down into work packages..... perhaps this boring course is having a good effect after all! :D

I am glad that i have at least cheered somebody up....good luck with your course - hope it becomes less boring and thanks again for your helpful suggestion...constructive help..thank you.

on that happy note i will bow out of this thread before i am blasted again by somebody. all the best.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    There are thousands of interviewers and we all have the same machines...work is downloaded and uploaded from the machine...it wouldn't be possible to use anything smaller
    we used to use really heavy machines
    Sounds like they need to upgrade their IT more often.
  • As a market researcher using the lap top I totally get where you are coming from, it's is heavy. Add to that the rucksack we are supposed to carry it in plus the leads and plugs ( in case the battery dies) yep it's a killer on the arms

I just stopped carrying the rucksack, that was left in the car, and I've never ever managed an umbrella , always a hat ( none of my co workers use umberellas, always rain hats)

Life I have to admit was easier with paperwork :)

Oh, I'm actually a Worker. I've no gaurenteed hours, they don't have to offer work, I don't have to accept. I get holiday and sick pay and I'm free to work around other employment
  • worried123
    Hi - can i ask whether you code in an outcome at every single door and even code in miss three doors after succesful interviews on bus (not pre selected as we know these visits must be coded) but on straight door knocking - bus - etc....

nice to meet a fellow sufferer !!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    worried123 wrote: »
    There are thousands of interviewers and we all have the same machines...work is downloaded and uploaded from the machine...it wouldn't be possible to use anything smaller
    I'm almost certain that in this day and age, it would be eminently possible to use something smaller ... or lighter. However I can well imagine that an employer wouldn't necessarily want the cost of upgrading all the tech all at once!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • No we don't have record on the laptop every house called at , I record that on paper for my own use.

Ideally we would get get an interview every address and be offered a table and chair. I've done many an interview on the door step in the rain at night. I've followed people around whilst that are washing their car even. Yes carrying the laptop ( ours are 2 in 1's) for four or five hours is a pain on the neck/shoulder and elbow. So I always park close to where I need to be and go back sit in the car for 10 mins every hour or so
  • worried123
    edited 18 July 2017 at 2:01PM
    Thank you - it really isnt relevant to code every address called at - and this was my gripe to start with - (i feel from the description of the rucksack that you possibly work for a company whose initials are i.m........i do a tiny bit of work for them as well.....addresses are on paper ...and you dont have to record...Our addresses are on the machine

Yes i know the feeling - in the evening and nobody asking you in and thinking you will pass out if it gets any colder......pitch black - all that stuff and they want us to code at every door as well

sorry - as you can tell i am stressed and upset at them wanting us to code in at every door...scrolling to find the address as they arent in proper sequence - when you have coded something or ended an interview it opens up into a different survey.....so you have to close all of that and open up the relevant survey again....

..trouble is we dont really have a voice......
  • worried123
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I'm almost certain that in this day and age, it would be eminently possible to use something smaller ... or lighter. However I can well imagine that an employer wouldn't necessarily want the cost of upgrading all the tech all at once!
    Hi Sue - thank you.
    I think there is one company that uses a very small machine....but we are a huge research company and so is the one that petethespider works for - we have similar sized machines - they are two in one as pete said and the keyborad detaches from the screen to make it as light as possible...but i do recall that before we got our most recent machines a couple of years ago the chaps in IT said something along the lines of it not being possible to have machines any smaller or lighter as it was to do with data safety.......i honestly think they couldn't be smaller - because of the type of work we do...we have to show people video clips etc and it wouldn't even be possible to put onto anything smaller the amount we have to show to respondents.......i know nothing about technology but i do feel that we couldn't possibly have smaller machines.......sadly. Also we have had several upgrades over the last few years...I know of male interviews...young, huge strapping guys with neck and shoulder problems from holding the machine the doorstep.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure