From Flat to Farmhouse

Comments

• FloppyDisk
    FloppyDisk Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hiddenshadow I think I might well be in the same boat. All pantry houses require a lot of work and cash. I think the flat would get snapped up but it may leave me stuck in expensive renting for a long while, hoping for a property crash. Bit nervous but maybe I need to plough on!

At least big pay day expected this month with a bonus and back pay from 2nd job as well as the usual.

The donkey even managed to pull out a lovely dressage test on Saturday and we finally cracked the top ten at an event and got best ex-racehorse so I really don't want to have to rein in (wink) the spending there if it is coming to fruition.

Decisions decisions!
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £350,085 BTL now --- £162,668
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Ooh, well done on the event result!

I keep window shopping for ponies and am tempted by ISH and TB/Connemaras but I think ex-racers will always have my heart. Have owned 3 of them (plus a draft x and a WB baby) and they're the best.
  • Floppy we have a pantry buy our house!!!
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I wouldn't wait for a property crash, prices seem to be decidedly resillient of late.
  • FloppyDisk
    Right so, the plan is to sell up and use the equity and new mortgage rates to have a house in a location that suits me better for the same or less cost per month.
    I would very much like to keep hold of the flat but it just doesn't seem viable without massively compromising the next house, feeling mortgaged to the hilt and dealing with all the incoming tax changes.

The only solid financial argument is that I have an ERC to pay (though what I save in interest could wipe this out) until this time next year and more importantly that the management company have a long term plan to off-load the leasehold of the building.

However with my lifestyle now effectively based elsewhere, I feel like finances are not really the driving factor in all this, and that arriving home at 9pm earliest every night has made the decision for me.

She says, hoping that everyone will agree and calm the panic that has massively set in about selling a huge chunk of security.....

Also begs the question, how on earth do I inform absolutely fantastic lodger who I barely see for 5 minutes once a month?! Can't do it by text surely? But with political confidence settling it needs to go on thr market asap to catch the good mood!!
  • FloppyDisk
    Floppy we have a pantry buy our house!!!

Not sure that this solution solves my commuting issues but your house is basically my dream, why on earth has it not sold yet??
  • hiddenshadow
    Relocation plan sounds good (caveat that we're planning a similar deal, including paying ERC, just on a longer timescale, so may be subject to a bit of confirmation bias).

We get home at 8pm at the earliest and definitely agree that it wears you down. Really looking forward to ditching the commute. I think even if we end up working slightly longer hours (which we do when we work from home), being able to be flexible and multi-task (put laundry on at lunch time, etc) is worth the trade-off. And who knows, maybe we'll be more disciplined about our hours when it's a regular thing and not the odd one-off!

Re: the lodger, can you write her a letter and leave it on her door? Then you can invite her to chat in person/over the phone if she has any follow-up questions but you get the info across asap.
  • FloppyDisk
    I like your style shadow, but as she's never home I just went for a text and she is happy for a proper chat at the weekend. :eek:
  • hiddenshadow
    Hope the chat goes well - I always work myself up about those sorts of things and imagine the worst possible scenario but it invariably ends up being far less dramatic than I fear!
  • Apparently I am a deluded seller and it is overpriced.
    FloppyDisk wrote: »
    Not sure that this solution solves my commuting issues but your house is basically my dream, why on earth has it not sold yet??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback