From Flat to Farmhouse

FloppyDisk
FloppyDisk Posts: 864 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 2 January 2018 at 2:07PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hello everyone, I am hoping some of you might recognise my name and no, my mission hasn’t changed, I still have lofty ambitions of upgrading from my flat to something a little more spacious.

So where were we? Oh yes, paying £400 :eek: a month in interest on my mortgage! I need to start 2016 with a renewed vigour towards my financial management. Whilst this won’t be wholey directed at the mortgage, I have found the community of MFWers so helpful in getting the balance right. Despite having the all-important spreadsheet, I have gotten a bit lost with my finances with the poor interest rates and having to use current accounts for savings, so I need to do a proper audit.

As old friends will know, I have the slight disadvantage of being owned by an event horse who insists on having the best of everything. I am also severely hampered by my inability to cook and tend to fritter money away buying lunches. :o

It is lovely to be back and focused on security, I have missed you all!
Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
Mortgage now -- £350,085 BTL now --- £162,668

Comments

• Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,915 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Welcome back :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Oh no, an eventer! They come with so many "essentials" in my experience - enough saddle pads to do all 3 phases on any day of the week (not that one ever does, but best be prepared), boots to cover any/all sorts of weather/footing, and of course all the colours/trims have to match. ;) (Thankfully I haven't ever changed my mind on colour schemes, but I dread that day...)

What level do you compete? I get starry-eyed watching Badminton and Burghley each year and then remember that I think 3ft sounds quite enough, thank you. Might aim for the grassroots competitions there one day, just to say I've been. ;)
  • Floppy so lovely to see you.
    Is the horse with you at the moment? (Not like on your lap, OMG have you seen the amazon prime ad with the Shetlandponyflap?)
  • ahh yes.. Being owned by horses. I too can sympathise! My two are synchronized to my bank account - needing something every time there is funds in there!
  • Hello, nice to meet you :beer:

We managed to go from flat to farmhouse (well, crofthouse) in one leap without too much price difference between the two, but that did involve moving from Croydon to the north coast of Scotland! My vet did qualify for Badminton a few years ago though :)
  • Floppy so lovely to see you.
    Is the horse with you at the moment? (Not like on your lap, OMG have you seen the amazon prime ad with the Shetlandponyflap?)

If not on my lap, I'm not sure what you mean? (Yes, love it, although they have trimmed the ad as friend and I noted he was 1/10th lame when he came through the flap, nerds! Have you seen the knitted version?!!)

Thank you all for my welcome backs, from old and new! I sadly didn't have an NSD today as I had to buy a considerable amount of nice wine and bubbles as presents for vets, grooms, instructors etc who sort me out constantly. But savings account sorted at least! Win some lose some?!
  • FloppyDisk
    edited 24 February 2016 at 4:22PM
    Oops, no updates and probably for good reason as I have been useless and bought a rather large vehicle for the horse. All cash but it has left a dent in the savings, slowly filling in with a new part time job to help. And at the very least I can boast my first NSD in probably a good 6 months!

The new mortgage rates that are available in the region of 1% are very tempting but I think with my ERC it wouldn't work out. 17 months until my fix ends which is a bit of a milestone to push for now.
  • The horse has a driving licence?
  • FloppyDisk
    I am such a fraud. Can one be classed as MSE and have a horse? Between vet bills, pretty new tack, competition entries and feed the best part of 1k is going towards four-legged-financial-insanity.

I have decided the only way to make things cheaper is to cut down my fuel bills and move closer to the stables. Viewing a country house next week. :o
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    FloppyDisk wrote: »
    I have decided the only way to make things cheaper is to cut down my fuel bills and move closer to the stables. Viewing a country house next week. :o

I like this solution. ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure