Self-employed paid taxes to the NIC account

Paid £200 taxes to NIC account via FPS on 8th January. A month later my bank received a letter from HMRC saying they received £200
but since I didn't give any reference they had no idea what to do with the money. They sent it to me so I have a proof they did receive the money. I have being calling them ever since (5 times) trying to get the money back without much success. I had to pay £200 again (now to the correct account) but I would really like to have those £200 I sent to the wrong account back.

I am not sure what would be the best course of action. Should I do it in writing? Because every time I call them we are back at square one and I have to explain the whole story from the beginning. They never give me case reference number or anything like that. Any ideas?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, I'd say that your suggestion to write to them is the best option. It can take a while to resolve things by mail but you should have a full trail to refer to if needed.
  • If you sent it into your National Insurance account, phone them directly: 0300 200 3500 (NIC helpline) they will ask for your NIC number and explain what has happened.

I'm assuming you will have a credit sitting on your account which you can either as for a refund or just leave it in there until you have to pay your next years NIC?
  • I Casper that number a few times and no there is no account not I can login for nic unlike the account for taxes. Unfortunately
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure