The Crumpet family's journey to Mortgage Freedom:-)

Options

Comments

• Crumpets
    Crumpets Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2018 at 2:41PM
    Options
    Hi MV, Thanks for the tip about the Dyson! will check it out :)

The sun is out again, hooray :T I have two loads of laundry on the line drying, I could do with another washing line so I can get more out :rotfl: I have loads of jobs to do today as it's my first day in the house this week. I think I might need a list...

[STRIKE]washing on the line[/STRIKE] Done :D
    [STRIKE]Small supermarket shop[/STRIKE] Spent£60:eek:
    College work
    [STRIKE]Clean the car[/STRIKE] Inside and out :T
    Plant flowers in window boxes
    Pay cheques into bank
    Drop bags off at charity shops
    [STRIKE]Cancel Fridays milk delivery - still got loads![/STRIKE]

That's probably enough for now , it's too nice to be inside doing work but it has to be done unfortunately :( I did manage a run this morning so I've already had some fresh air. We have lambs on our lane and it's so nice seeing them frolicking around. I will hopefully get another walk in later to see them :)

Decluttering is continuing - one ebay item collected yesterday, some craft things donated to the local pre school and some paint donated to dd1's HE group. Hopefully something else is being collected from freecycle this evening :T Why does my house still look so full! :eek::o

I think I'm going to the cinema tonight - no vouchers to be used as it's a local independent one, it's expensive but a lovely treat. I'll drive and take a water bottle with me.
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 £78,323.18
  • Crumpets
    Options
    Not much to report in the way of money saving...feel like I've lost my mojo slightly. I have things listed for sale but they're not shifting, I think I might have to reduce the price. The house feels more cluttered than ever as everything is in flux. Feeling a bit down about it to be honest. I guess getting things out of the house is more important than getting top price for it. I did manage to take two large bags to the charity shop yesterday, and passed on a bag of outgrown clothes to a friend - I need to focus on the little wins :)

As the weather is continuing to be nice we might get one of our tents up in the garden and clean it ready to sell. We are trialing a new awning next weekend so need to get rid of old tents to make room and make cash to put towards a new one. We have two to get rid of :o

to help me feel like I am actually achieving something I'm going to list my small wins daily. Hopefully that will make me feel more positive about where we are in our journey.

Weekend small wins

1 ebay item finally collected - sold the item in March!
    2 bags to charity shop
    Out grown clothes passed on
    Ds to make a birthday card for friends party

That's it for now
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not only focus on the small wins, but celebrate them and reward yourself! The problem with decluttering is it can be exhausting when you're in the middle of it.
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Crumpets
    edited 22 April 2018 at 9:06PM
    Options
    Thanks for that Jimmy - you're right, all these small steps need celebrating, and it is exhausting so looking after ourselves is important. I'm just rewarding myself with a nice cup of tea and an early night :rotfl:

A slightly more positive post than this mornings :o I really pushed myself to be proactive today and not mope about and I'm really glad I did.
    • We got a tent up in the garden and it is now listed on the bay - 2 watchers so far :T (1 more tent in the shed but I'm not sure what condition it's in. We haven't used it for about 5 years :o)
    • I've accepted an offer on a large piece of furniture from the Swedish shop - £75 to the OP pot :T I can't wait to rearrange the furniture once this has gone :D
    • Took the kids and dog to the park with some tennis rackets and had a good run around. It made me feel so much better. :T
    • Sewed dd2's Brownie badges on - one less thing cluttering up the kitchen :p
    • Made pizza for dinner, dh and I had a lovely Mediterranean style one using up olives, peppers and sun dried tomatoes :T
    So no more moping - I feel my mojo is coming back
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad to hear mojo is returning! The lack of boot sale due to weather and busy-ness here has had a similar effect here - it's so annoying when the house is full of stuff due to go! (I can't complain really, most of it is in Mum's spare room!).

You should teach DD to sew her own Brownie badges ;)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Crumpets
    Options
    Ha ha, I like your suggestion of dd sewing her own badges on - i think it would be more trouble than it's worth! i can imagine the tears and frustration now (that's how I feel when I have to do them :rotfl:)

Shopping day today and due to my stocking up of the freezer it was quite a reasonable spend - £80ish. A very kind man gave me his parking ticket in the car park as well so that saved me £1 too:D

I also got a bit of admin done in town whilst I was there too - paid some cash and cheques into the bank Hopefully I'll have £100 to OP on Wednesday when the furniture has been collected :money: It feels like I haven't made an OP for ages! I can't believe it's May next week! I can't remember if I mentioned it but we have increased our regular OP from £150 to £500 so I can't wait to see the new balance :T

Boot camp tonight and dd1 came with me for the first time so it cost me £6 for us both - still pretty cheap for an exercise class so I can't complain :p

I've just discovered that my favourite band are coming to a city near me and tickets go on sale next month - I will have to find the money for the tickets from somewhere :D

Time to catch up on my Monday night quizzes - Only connect and University challenge (I'm happy if i manage to answer at least one question correctly :rotfl::cool:)
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That is an impressive regular OP. The months will be flying off the end date!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Crumpets
    Options
    Hi CathT, yeah I'm really pleased that we can allocate that much for now. It won't be forever but it's a 'for now' op amount :)
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Haha, yes, I wasn't entirely serious about badge sewing.... I know it's the theory, but the reality is different.... I shudder when the other leader suggests sewing at Brownies.... all those endless 'can you thread my needle' moments! :rotfl:

Re quizzes... I like to get a couple on Uni Challenge, but Only Connect just bamboozles me... the only time I ever got one was when it related to a scene in Love Actually - very high brow! :rotfl:
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Crumpets
    Options
    We do occasionally get something correct on only connect - I feel so smug when I do :rotfl: The finals are particularly difficult though!

Well I'm pleased to say that I have just made an OP of £103.18 :T This is made up of money from selling things and a cheque for closing an old bank account. I've received a message about another item I'm selling too so hopefully that will be another item gone and £5 in my pocket (I'll use this to pay for dd's movie night ticket though)

I'm so pleased that we got rid of our large item of furniture! We have so much more space now, I'm really getting into this minimalism lark :D We have another large item (an old church pew) to fix up and sell next :T

I have an unexpected day to myself to day so I'm making the most of it and getting some coursework done - I will finish the course this year if it's the last thing I do!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family