Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Comments

• mr_jrt
    mr_jrt Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've recently purchased my first flat, and it has a gas combi boiler (I think it's about 7 years old) that's due its annual service, and as I'm getting a lodger in, I believe I need a gas safety certificate as well.

Looking at my options, the cheapest boiler services look to be around the £80 mark, and going by BG a gas safety cert looks to be about £24 per appliance (so £48 as there's a gas hob as well). With that in mind, BG's "HomeCare One with a Gas Safety Certificate" looks reasonable, as at £14/mo that comes in at £168, vs. £128 for the bits separately, making the boiler cover effectively £3.33/mo.

Any thoughts on that - i.e. have I missed anything?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    mr_jrt wrote: »
    I've recently purchased my first flat, and it has a gas combi boiler (I think it's about 7 years old) that's due its annual service, and as I'm getting a lodger in, I believe I need a gas safety certificate as well.

Looking at my options, the cheapest boiler services look to be around the £80 mark, and going by BG a gas safety cert looks to be about £24 per appliance (so £48 as there's a gas hob as well). With that in mind, BG's "HomeCare One with a Gas Safety Certificate" looks reasonable, as at £14/mo that comes in at £168, vs. £128 for the bits separately, making the boiler cover effectively £3.33/mo.

Any thoughts on that - i.e. have I missed anything?

Yes - if the property is let then you can usually claim back tax for these costs so make sure that you keep all receipts etc.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    A 10 year old boiler,my oh my,, mines 35 years old.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 June 2017 at 6:08PM
    Got my renewal 'offer' from BG for HC4 at £506 (£42.15 pm), but in the post this morning I got an offer from another provider - seemingly with a similar level of cover - for £5 for three months then £19pm fixed for 2 years. Assuming BG doesn't go up next year (LOL) this could save me almost £600!

Is this TGTBT?

PS. There is a £50 callout fee for boilers older than 7 years, which mine isn't, and drains callouts.
  • Just purchased my first Home and have devided to get boiler cover. Ive been hunting around and all the big boys are exensive.

Ive come across 2 reasonably priced companies:
    The first is 247 Home Rescue - they seam to have loads of poor reviews about customer service and miss selling.

The second is Home Emergency, but cant seam to find much about them, have spoken with them on the phone ans they seam good enough. Has anyone had any dealings with them that they could share.

If anyone has any other suggestions of companies.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    jjhamilton wrote: »
    Just purchased my first Home and have devided to get boiler cover. Ive been hunting around and all the big boys are exensive.

Ive come across 2 reasonably priced companies:
    The first is 247 Home Rescue - they seam to have loads of poor reviews about customer service and miss selling.

The second is Home Emergency, but cant seam to find much about them, have spoken with them on the phone ans they seam good enough. Has anyone had any dealings with them that they could share.

If anyone has any other suggestions of companies.

There are hundreds of posts on this thread which you should read that address your query . In essence you will pay a lot of money for good cover, and as your boiler gets older, you will find it more of a problem.

Read this thread on 24/7

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5141494
  • HomeServe_company_representative
    HomeServe_company_representative Posts: 114 Organisation Representative
    Hi there,

We do believe we price our products fairly. The prices are in line with the value that we give our Customers, both in terms of peace of mind and the products and services offered, and the costs of providing this. And, actually, improving the value we give is something we are continually working on. We’ve focused on rewarding our Customers’ loyalty by enhancing our products to cover more whilst providing a better and faster service for the same price.

Also, we try to ensure our pricing specifically takes into account our Customers’ individual circumstances and we’re always happy to discuss cover levels and pricing with individuals. For new Customers we are very clear in all our communication that we are offering them a first year price and that it will change for the second year onwards. We ensure that Customers are aware of any renewal changes a number of weeks in advance so Customers have time to review the renewal and contact us.

With regards what you’ve mentioned around our fine, this is an historic event and since then we have strengthened our ties with our regulator. We're a different business to what we were and we accepted that fine in recognition of how we let our standards fall – standards that we have invested heavily in upholding since.

If you do wish to discuss anything further, you can locate our contact information on our profile.

Kind regards

Rebecca
    Here To Help Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of HomeServe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • lisle
    lisle Posts: 198 Forumite
    My renewal came from BG £310.09 for the year (£25.83 per month), an increase of 13%.
    Just rang customer services & they have offered me same cover for £18.08 per month, annoyingly I have been paying £25.83 a month for this year's cover!
    I'm on a roll, Sky's next!
    I'm in the £2.00 club! terramundi cracked open Christmas Day £748 :p Started a new one Boxing Day!
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    24/7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hi ,

I have a boiler 6 years old , looking for insurance for boiler only with zero excess , anybody have any recommendations please ?

Thank you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure