Repellent for mozquitos - make my own essential oil or what to buy?

Hi all. I'm going away (if my toothache goes away) to Thailand for 4 weeks on Saturday.

I'm allergic to mosquitos and to say I'm a bit paranoid about getting bitten is an understatement. I've done quite a bit of reading over the past few weeks but still completely unsure what to buy and take - since I'm backpacking space is a little bit of an issue.

I've been taking Vit B tablets the past few weeks, and I've bought some mosquite milk. Does anyone think that'll be enough or is there perhaps another product I should take that people find effective in SE Asia. I also heard you can make your own essential oil with citronella, tea tree oil and a few drops of vodka, along with a few other things like garlic powder. Sounds a bit mental to me but if it works then prepared to make it up.

I've read through this very good thread on here but that was back in 2010 so hope there's some better products 8 years later for the blighters:
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2367427

I used to live in Brazil where I was eaten alive and hospitalised twice due to one infection and also the dreaded Dengue fever so don't want to contract anything when in Thai.

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The only really effective repellent that lasts for several hours without re-application needs to contain DEET. You can buy this in any Thai pharmacy or convenience store, there's no need to pay a lot more in UK. Autan is a popular brand, very small easily portable bottle.

More natural remedies containing citronella etc are also available there in profusion, but their protection doesn't last long and Thai mosquitos tend to laugh at them disturbingly.

Beware of Aedes 'daytime' mosquitos that carry dengue lurking in the footwell of cars and under bus seats etc. Dengue can be very nasty, I had it twice in Thailand.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • shapala
    shapala Posts: 616 Forumite
    eDicky wrote: »

Beware of Aedes 'daytime' mosquitos that carry dengue lurking in the footwell of cars and under bus seats etc. Dengue can be very nasty, I had it twice in Thailand.

Thanks.....I've actually just found some Jungle Formula (Deet) Maximum spray as I was sure I had some in the cupboard.

Oh gawd......those Aedes blighters sound like cousins of the Brazilians mozzy's. Sorry to hear you contracted Dengue - indeed it is awful having had it myself once in Sao Paulo. Gonna be as vigilant as I possibly can be with the mozquito milk, Vit B's, Jungle formula and the wristband wife has bought for me. Fingers crossed!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    eDicky wrote: »
    The only really effective repellent that lasts for several hours without re-application needs to contain DEET. You can buy this in any Thai pharmacy or convenience store, there's no need to pay a lot more in UK. Autan is a popular brand, very small easily portable bottle.

More natural remedies containing citronella etc are also available there in profusion, but their protection doesn't last long and Thai mosquitos tend to laugh at them disturbingly.

I used to buy this from Boots.
    Then it disappeared from the shelves everywhere & I wrote to SC Johnson to ask where to buy it and they sent me 6 bottles FOC. :T

Last time I needed some, I bought from the internet.
    Now I'm having a job finding it at a reasonable price from the UK.
    I have one more bottle left and will need to source some more or decide on a different brand in the next 2 months. :(
    I can buy 5 bottles for over £40 including delivery.
  • Facepaint_Paula
    Facepaint_Paula Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 24 April 2018 at 8:30AM
    Avons Skin So Soft Original is really good, we use the dry oil spray
  • Pollycat
    Avons Skin So Soft Original is really good, we use the dry oil spray

But it's not marketed as mosquito repellent.

I've used Avon S-S-S on top of my after sun containing mosquito repellent and under 'proper' mosquito repellent since 1996 when it was recommended in a Thomson holiday book about Sri Lanka & Goa.
    It was the 'bath oil' at that time and was incredibly greasy.

It's gone through lots of different names and packaging since then and has grown into an urban myth.
    I'd never recommend it as a stand-alone mosquito repellent.

I mentioned the recommendation to my Avon representative at the time and she said it does all sorts of things that a beauty product wouldn't be expected to do. :eek:

There's a thread on here with uses for S-S-S but I'm on my phone.
    Will maybe look it out later.
  • michele-p
    michele-p Posts: 818 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 April 2018 at 12:07PM
    Just a word of warning, the Avon spray did NOT work for me last year. Worst bites ever - I'd avoid and stick to DEET. We had 100% deet once for The Gambia, careful as it melted my plastic sandals a bit, but I didn't get bitten!
  • I can strongly recommend lifesystems,
    its DEET and to be honest I really did not want to use DEET myself but I was going to the Amazon rain forest so I was not taking any chances with any thing else. I put sun screen on first then this, no problems at all.
    https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/insect-repellents/expedition-100-plus-spray
    Jane x
  • Pollycat
    michele-p wrote: »
    Just a word of warning, the Avon spray did NOT work for me last year. Worst bites ever - I'd avoid and stick to DEET. We had 100% deet once for The Gambia, careful as it melted my plastic sandals a bit, but I didn't get bitten!

Maybe it didn't work because it's not actually mosquito repellent..
  • shapala
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Maybe it didn't work because it's not actually mosquito repellent..

Thanks for the replies. Bought a few more things and have about a kilo of repellents now, including anti mozzy shampoo and soap now.

I'm not going to risk it with Avon - I've heard good things about it but it works for some people and not others and recent reviews on Amazon say it didn't work at all. Since I'm allergic to mozzy's, I not willing to risk it and quite sure the products I've bought will be more than enough.

Does anyone have any recommendations for deodorants? I know that mozzy's are also fans of perfumes so don't think I'll take any but (ahem) I am willing to admit I have strong BO so need something to stop everyone running away from my own scent, including my wife who complains even when I'm wearing deo & EDP/EDT :rotfl:
  • shapala
    Hi all

Just returned from my trip and certain places we went the mosquitos were everywhere. I used the mozzy milk, anti mozzy deo stick, took Vit B and citrizene every day.

Only got bitten 4 times in total. I did wear loose trousers each day (not great due to the heat and humidity). I ran out of the DEET spray within 10 days but I think the other things I used kept the mozzy's away.

Hope it's useful for others for future reference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure