NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate expires,denal traetment started.

I have a NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate that expires on 30/4

I have been having problem with a wisdom tooth past month or two, went to see dentist last week and have an appointment in 1st week of May to have tooth out.

Should I receive my new certificate in next few days before old one expires?

If I don't receive one am I still eligible as the treatment started last week?

Comments

• Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes my statement only arrived past few days.
    Wish I could contact a dentist, not sure if I'll get any treatment as I have m.s.
    OP could try calling nhs as there's only a few days until next month
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Received mine few days ago. They don't do plastic card anymore, they sent out on paper now.
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It doesn't matter if you receive it in time or not. Dental charges apply from the day that the course of treatment was started. so the day they decided you needed that tooth removing.

On that day you were exempt from charges so even without the exemption card you will not need to pay
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Admittedly it was maternity exemption rather than income based but I know my dentist told me to make an appointment just before the exemption expired as if I needed work doing it would be free as identified during a period when I was free, even if the work was done when I didn't qualify
  • UKSBD
    UKSBD Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nannytone wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if you receive it in time or not. Dental charges apply from the day that the course of treatment was started. so the day they decided you needed that tooth removing.

On that day you were exempt from charges so even without the exemption card you will not need to pay

Thanks, I was hoping that was the case as I'm not sure if I will be eligible for a new card after 30th April.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    You should receive the replacement before the old one expires. If you're still entitled (it's best to check you still are) then you can use your awards notice as proof
  • UKSBD
    I never received a new card (no longer eligible)

Had my tooth out in 1st week of May, but as treatment had started prior to 30th April I didn't have to pay.

Have been in discomfort since having it out and now have abscess, so will be making new appointment in morning.

Is this still classed as part of the initial treatment or will I have to pay from now on?

I'm not so much bothered about paying as getting a fine if I get things wrong.
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would say not and you will have to pay
  • UKSBD
    Nannytone wrote: »
    I would say not and you will have to pay

I had the appointment this morning, told dentist my card had expired but I still didn't have to pay.

I know we are responsible, not the dentist, if we claim wrongly but hopefully I haven't done anything wrong.

I would like to know for sure though as I have another appointment in 10 days, could get expensive in fines if the dentist is wrong :-(

Anyone know how I find a definitive answer?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    UKSBD wrote: »
    I had the appointment this morning, told dentist my card had expired but I still didn't have to pay.

I know we are responsible, not the dentist, if we claim wrongly but hopefully I haven't done anything wrong.

I would like to know for sure though as I have another appointment in 10 days, could get expensive in fines if the dentist is wrong :-(

Anyone know how I find a definitive answer?
    I would say you're not entitled to this free dental treatment.

As you said yourself, it's not the dentist responsibility to tell you if your treatment is free or not. You should have made absolutely sure either way before you went today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure