Hotel Booking Situation

Thanks in advance,

Myself and several family members have booked a hotel to stay at after my sisters wedding.

I booked in March 2017, wedding is in June 2018. Since I booked, it looks like the hotel has declined considerably. We learned of this through some acquaintances who went to stay but ended up leaving as all the rooms they were offered were dirty, and the famed hot tub facilities not working.

Trip advisor seems to confirm that many of the recent hotel guests have had similar problems (including one yesterday).

When I booked, I had to pay for the night, as I was only staying one night. This was non-refundable on cancellation because it was only one night. The link to the terms and conditions in my confirmation email is now dead, so I can't see them. The website and T&C's have been updated in 2018.

If the hotel turns out to be as bad as we are expecting, what recourse do I have to get my money back? We have already tried to book alternative accommodation in the area, but nothing is available now.

Thank you.

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The link to the terms and conditions in my confirmation email is now dead, so I can't see them. The website and T&C's have been updated in 2018.
    What is the name of the hotel?
    The reason I'm asking is that although the T&C's have been updated since you booked, it's often possible to find cached webpages and there may well be one available for around the date of your booking.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You already know the T&C's as you have already told us it's non refundable so you have your answer.

As for cancelation hotels are one of those leisure things that allow non cancellations.
    You need to asses the situation on the day, complain if anything is wrong and demand it's put right if they agree with your complaint.

If they don't put it right then technically you go somewhere else and sue for a refund and any consequential loss you suffer in doing so.

If you can't get anywhere else then you can stay and sue for loss of enjoyment. That's pretty hard to do if your just there on a stop over for the wedding.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    As above, but perhaps pack a tent if there is nothing else available???

You will have to assess the situation once you arrive.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • What is the name of the hotel?
    The reason I'm asking is that although the T&C's have been updated since you booked, it's often possible to find cached webpages and there may well be one available for around the date of your booking.

I wasn't aware that records like that available, very interesting!

I can't post proper links as I just joined.

The hotel is called Bayswell Park Hotel. I booked in March 2017

I don't intend to stay if the room turns out to be terrible, It was expensive but we were staying as a luxury rather than a necessity, I can just as well organise to go home after the wedding (not sure what the bride and groom will do).

If we identify problems and they cannot be resolved, do I need to do anything in order to be able to claim for recompense later?

Thank you for your help and quick responses!
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 May 2018 at 8:21PM
    http://web.archive.org/web/20170421065658/http://www.bayswellparkhotel.com:80/terms.html

Are those the original terms? (Although they look like weird T&Cs - they're more related to using the website).

You may be able to post a link by changing http to hxxp
  • .bayswellparkhotel.com/termsandconditions.pdf

Is the link in the email that I originally received. The link you posted has the site looking the way it did when I booked, but I think you’re right those are just website terms.

I booked via credit card, is there a possibility of being able to claim the money back via the credit card company? I’m guessing it would end up being too long ago to make a claim, but I’ve never done anything like that before.

I emailed the hotel getting them to confirm that they would be able to provide service.

A family member called to do the same, and asked how many rooms were booked by our wedding guests for that night, they proceeded to send him all the details of all the guests staying (including non-wedding guests). Can’t imagine that is legal, it just fall under data protection or something.

Thanks all for your help so far.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Found them on Tripadvisor

Just done some simple sums

Average review score last 4 weeks = 2.91

And Between Feb 2017 and March 2017 (when you booked) = 3.59

The only real trend I noticed is that reviews in the last 4 weeks tend to be either 5 or 1; love it or hate it. Whereas the ones around the time you booked were more evenly distributed across the 1-5 scale.

You might be right in the hotel deteriorating, but given recent reviews are quite polarised I'd be a bit cautious about the feedback given.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it's a one night stay, providing the bed linen is clean I'd live with any niggles and enjoy the wedding. Getting het up in advance is going to inevitably spoil your enjoyment. Hotel rooms in my experience are usually a bit tired but clean.
  • Les79 wrote: »

Just done some simple sums

Average review score last 4 weeks = 2.91

And Between Feb 2017 and March 2017 (when you booked) = 3.59

The only real trend I noticed is that reviews in the last 4 weeks tend to be either 5 or 1; love it or hate it. Whereas the ones around the time you booked were more evenly distributed across the 1-5 scale.

You might be right in the hotel deteriorating, but given recent reviews are quite polarised I'd be a bit cautious about the feedback given.

The reason for our doubts about this place are not from Trip Advisor, although we looked there afterwards. Some friends of the family had booked and walked out because of the state of the rooms they were offered, that the hot-tubs were all out of commission, and that the staff were rude to them and no manager was available.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure