PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :j I've seen the first red-tailed bumbler of 2018 as it was stuffing its face on the broad bean flowers (the autumn sown ones, the others aren't ready to flower yet). So happy. Not so happy about the cabbage whites I've also seen flying around up there, they're one of the two reasons I don't do brassicas. The other being a gang of co-operatively working wood pigeons who land on any netting one at a time until their weight bows it down to the point they can all peck brassicas.

It's a constant war of behavioural evolution as we gardeners pit our wits against the winged rats. So far, the rats (and those pesky fruit stealing blackbirds) are winning a lot of the time.

maryb, I'm sorry to hear about hubby's health problems and hope for a full recovery. One thing you can do here is let the council (our allotments are council-run) know there is a problem and you can get a pass on any allotment inspections for a while. Perhaps an idea for you?

NewShadow, I haven't bought a house (could possibly RTB my council flat but won't) but have watched and listened to many a friend and acquaintance go through the process of making this big decision.

One thing which I'd offer into your decision making is to wonder if you are feeling any buy-fever because of social/ familial pressure to buy now rather than later? This can often be very subtle, such as hearing about everyone else who seems to be buying and feeling left behind or doubting the wisdom of your own plans. Sometimes it's not at all subtle as beloved people say blunt things like; your sister has bought, your brother has bought, the milkman's dog has bought, why the flip are you wasting money on rent?!

I well remember the house-buying mania of the late 1980s. To call it hysteria isn't far from the truth, it was all over the media and all over every conversation. If you weren't buying THEN you were going to lose the opportunity to buy EVER, as in for the rest of your life. Heck, you'd be lucky to live in a cardboard box under a bridge, you fool, if you didn't buy property asap.

I was an impoversished newish graduate and in no way able to 'get onto the property ladder' (despicable term imo) so watched gape-jawed as people borrowed up to the hilt. And watched a lot of them lose their homes within a few years, and several more endure horrible stress as they struggled with galloping mortgage rates. A lot of them didn't get out of negative equity for 10+ years (nearly into the new millenium) and were stuck owning property, somethimes in parts of the country where they had moved away from (for work) for years.

The narrative of house-buying always being a good thing tends to elide over these difficulties, and others. I have also seen a lot of people get into trouble with RTB properties as they haven't understood that a heavy discount at the start doesn't get you the extra income to pay for all the things which your landlord is paying for each year, plus upgrades and refurbishments.:(

Glorious weather here, also, spent about 9 hours on the lottie yesterday. Admittedly, some of that involved drinking wine and gossiping with a pal, as well as hard work, but you have to have balance, do you not? Going back there later, another pal due to visit, there was rumours of cake being involved............. :D
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    A garden party, what fun!

Our allotments are run by an association which took them over from the Council. The secretary pounces on anyone she thinks is not keeping up to the mark on the grounds there is a long waiting list

Funny thing is, the people at the top of the waiting list happen to be her friends who now all have at least 1 and a half plots. She admitted once she doesn't like allocating plots to beginners because they're all enthusiastic to begin with and then two months later it's overrun with weeds

I don't think there is too much pressure for plots at the moment so we might be ok. And she has been made to divvy up responsibility with a treasurer and chairman so I think it is being run properly now.

Once DH is home I'll be able to get a bit more on top of things. We got one of the four big beds planted up with potatoes and DH earthed them up just a couple of days before he went to the local hospital for what we thought was a not very important test (They turned round and said you're not going home. Three days later, triple heart bypass surgery). I've got onions in another bed which are doing quite well and there's room for the beans and courgettes and a row of chard. I fancied growing chard after hearing from you GQ, how tasty and easy it is

Third bed is raspberries which will look after themselves. Fourth bed is currently covered with black plastic and I think we'll see if we can leave it like that for the season which should give the couch grass a headache

So with luck it should be manageable. Only real problem is the grass paths which DH maintains with a strimmer which I can't manage since I injured my back a couple of years ago. However I might be able to persuade someone to do the wide paths between the plots for me and our narrow little paths which divide the beds could probably be kept down with long handled shears which I can do

Sounds like a plan?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • maryb
    New shadow having bought a biggish house (though awkward and never has enough space of the type you actually need). I would say don't overhouse yourself as it can be a burden. Another advantage of buying a smaller place is that if you need or want to sell, you are more likely to be able to sell to a first time buyer with no chain. That gives you flexibility as you can go back to renting for a bit even if you end up buying another place

What might be useful is to spend the intervening period looking at typical layouts of the sort of houses that were built in their thousands ie Victorian terraces and interwar semis and seeing how they could be made to work for you.

A lot of two bed terraces have a bathroom extension on the ground floor and I have seen some that have a really useful space in the ventilated lobby that has to separate kitchen from bathroom. This could be used for washing machine and dryer and general storage.

That's just an example but you can get a lot of ideas from looking at the room layouts on Rightmove or Zooplankton
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • maryb
    Zooplankton?? Hasn't predictive text moved into the 21st century yet?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2018 at 9:05AM
    :) Sounds like you're well up with the allotment and I agree about the covered bed, you don't need to be looking for any extra work atm. What a fright for you and hubby, shows you how quickly things can change.

Chard is such a useful vegetable and I eat it 12 months a year. My orginal seeds were sown in 2009 and they've been popping up ever since. The supply of ferals has been dwindling, however, so I stumped up a whole 75p for a pkt of silver chard and will sow afresh (and let some set seed ;)) this year.

:o I have a remark to make about my buy-now-use-later stashette of loose leaf tea. I bought in Feb 2017, anticipating a substantial price hike, and stuck a bit of tape on the outside of the pkt with purchase date and price. Emptied pkt into the tea caddy and just thought I'd nip onto Sainsbug's website to see how much the product had gone up.

Ahem. The packaging has been redesigned but the price, 15 months on, is that same - to the penny.:rotfl:Epic fail but at least I win sometimes as my tuna stash pre-dates the can shrinkage.

ETA; I had to disable predictive text on my mobile because it came up with such random nonsense when I was trying to send relatively normal messages to pals.

Agree about the house types. We have a lot of victorian and edwardian terraces here and they're pretty much of a muchness. Hard to find one without a rear extension and most people have the washer and dishwasher in the lobby bit between the kitch and the downstairs bathroom.

Also, re parking, you might not care about it but it could be huge factor to someone else, off-road parking might be a good thing to have.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2018 at 9:46AM
    New Shadow - re the "house or not to house - that is the question".

Personally - I'd say:
    - Don't relocate 200 miles (or any distance) unless you actively want the location you are thinking of relocating to or finances dictate that you have to. So, if you have a genuine choice about whether to do that = don't (unless you really like that place).

- Societal pressure. Well that's something that is new to me. Outside the workplace - I've just never experienced it before in all the adult decades until I moved. I do find a noticeable amount now and made the decision "It ain't on - they shouldnt be doing it". It's in a very different context to buying a house - but yep...it's pressure. I'm coming to various conclusions about how to deal with it - none of which are "Agree and go along with it". I think the basic method any time "someone Starts...:cool:" that I'm working out is along the lines of quick "No!" and then walk away or change topic quick. Repeat however many times necessary until Naughty Pressurer realises you realise and it ain't working. Don't explain (you don't need to - you're not in the wrong). Don't justify (you don't need to - you're not in the wrong). You could do worse than doing same tactics if you are indeed feeling pressurised to buy.

Having said that - I think sheer logic dictates it's a good idea to buy if one possibly can. That is based around the fact public sector housing is becoming steadily less and less available and even that doesnt have 100% for life secure tenancy it used to have. Private sector housing sounds SO insecure these days - 6 month tenancies and no rent control and the like that I recall from my days back renting:eek:

It's a logical argument to say "Buy a standard size house (ie 2 or 3 bedrooms)". All else being equal - I agree with that. But I do have to admit that many of the houses in "Area I would choose if (lack of) money didnt prevent it" are a bit larger than that and my personal decision in that respect would be "I want that area and it would suit me as an area so much - that I'd ignore the fact the house itself might be too big for me and buy it anyway if I could". So - overall - buy correct size house - but, if there is an area that is very obviously Your Area then - ignore house size being too large and buy anyway if you can afford it.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi NewShadow, just a random list of stuff that popped up as I read your post, possibly in reverse order, sorry about that!
    - how come you're moving 200 miles at your own choice and changing jobs? Do you know the area? People there? It's a very big deal - I've done it a couple of times, and didn't take care of myself enough when I did it, it became a huge problem both times.

- buy the space you want, don't over-buy. The maintenance is a serious issue, e.g. I've now had two of my three walls repointed - I live in a tiny semi detached, if it was a house the size of my sister's, the bill would have been double.

- you're right to focus on the structural stability. Windows, flooring, can all be sorted.

- outside space: at the very least, surely you'd want to be able to sit outside on a hot evening? And as a self identified prepper, you'd want your own herb bed or something, no? :rotfl: sorry! Think about transport too. You're not worried about parking, do you have a pushbike? Where would you store it (and guess what I'm thinking about right now!).

- what direction does the house face? For the rising sun, for shade by other buildings, to shelter from the weather, for the view outside your window, for comfortable space outside, even if there's no garden, just a yard.

maryb sorry to hear your OH is so ill - you sound like you're coping really well, both with the hospital visits and with the allotment. And yes, it's a lesson about what can happen out of the blue, it's why I keep trying to get things in my house and garden on an even keel.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    Thanks guys.

The moving is future proofing - switching from South to North Wales because my dad's health is...not great and degenerative. He's 'fine' now but it's unlikely that will be the case in 5 years. I can get a transfer at work to a north wales office - HR will find me a new post at grade - which is about an hour on a train from dad, compared to my current 4/5 hours.

I came up with a 5 year plan about 2 years ago and it's been going well so I could make some compromises and speed up the timescales if I pushed.

GQ - you're right that there has been a general undercurrent of 'renting is dead money' but I've always been able to push it away on the basis that I wanted to do it once and right.

I worked out a 26% LTV would give the best interest rates and that I would be aiming to buy post Brexit - and post Brexit economy shock - with a general idea I could get a house on the lower end of the market and clear the loan in 15-20 years (prior to 55).

That all sounds great but the waiting got harder when the deposit hit £20k and I can now comfortably get a 15-20% mortgage for houses in the target area.

I guess I just need to remind myself that the houses that are on the market now might not be around, but there has constantly been around 5 or 6 houses in my target area within/below my rough budget and that waiting/being disciplined will let me get all the related logistics sorted.

Psychologically, it's really weird that it's hit me now.

I'm getting the same generalised background anxiety as before a job interview but it's like standing on the edge of a cliff - Like I want to jump now (even when I have preps planned and I logically know it's not optimum) just to get it all over with...

Wonder if I can blame the very non-british weather :p
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • NewShadow wrote: »
    Decent internet

I'd suggest looking for a house in an area that is "cabled up", so you can have fibre BB.
  • maryb
    New Shadow just remembered something that we came across when my DD was househunting. She found a nice two bed terrace with a reasonable amount of garden, but not too much. We noticed there was a gap in the fence between her and the next door garden (she was end of terrace. When I looked at the documents it turned out that next door had a right of way through the middle of her garden in order to access their own garden and they would drag their bins out that way.

So watch out for that if you go for a terrace because I saw you put that you don't want to have to drag the bins through the house
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure