Private healthcare

Dear all:

I know nothing of private healthcare other than you need a policy (or pay upfront).

I wouldn't normally consider it however, I have a boil on the end of my nose that is unsightly and I need it removed. I am going to work in China in January where I will have private healthcare but I don't want to seem to be taking the proverbial with a pre-existing thing that I have saved up for the occasion.

My plan was to get a policy with a provider (the cheapest possible) and then get this done.

Are there any other alternatives?

Yes, the NHS but I am waiting for a consultation and again...China in a few weeks, not likely to get done any time soon.

Are there walk-in places that deal with minor things such as this?

I got a quote from Spires but it was expensive.

Thanks
Graham

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    BUPA do pay as you go
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,839
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Graham1982 wrote: »
    Dear all:

I know nothing of private healthcare other than you need a policy (or pay upfront).

I wouldn't normally consider it however, I have a boil on the end of my nose that is unsightly and I need it removed. I am going to work in China in January where I will have private healthcare but I don't want to seem to be taking the proverbial with a pre-existing thing that I have saved up for the occasion.

My plan was to get a policy with a provider (the cheapest possible) and then get this done.

Yes, the NHS but I am waiting for a consultation and again...China in a few weeks, not likely to get done any time soon.

Thanks
    Graham

I assume you don't actually mean this? Obviously no policy will pay for a pre-existing condition. That would be like taking out house insurance the day after it has burnt down!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    You can see a consultant without having insurance.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,620
    Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    You can see a consultant without having insurance.

I assume they've investigated this route as they said Spire was expensive. But, as already said, no insurance (at least none I'm aware of) will cover a pre-existing condition, so I don't see they have any other option than to pay for private op.
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,620
    Forumite
    Graham1982 wrote: »
    Dear all:

Thanks
    Graham

There are NHS walk in centres, but I'm not sure if they deal with things like boils.

Have you tried this link to find your local one to see what they do;

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/walk-in%20centre/locationsearch/663

If it's painful and at risk of getting infected they might treat it. Or, you could try your local hospital emergency unit.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,839
    Forumite
    edited 12 November 2019 at 11:38AM
    uknick wrote: »
    There are NHS walk in centres, but I'm not sure if they deal with things like boils.

If it's painful and at risk of getting infected they might treat it. Or, you could try your local hospital emergency unit.

Many larger NHS GP practices (like the one I use) did carry out minor surgical procedures like this. It would be done free on the NHS if it was judged medically necessary and they would sometimes do it for a fee if it was judged to be purely cosmetic.

However, in recent years many (like mine) have stopped offering this sort of service because of the pressure on "normal" GP appointments. Medically necessary ones are now referred to the local NHS hospital, often with a very long wait. Those that are only cosmetic or desirable have to put up with it or pay privately.

It may be worth Googling for private GP practices locally. It may be something they would take on.

Round here a private GP would charge c. £100 for a 30 min appointment. Most private consultant appointments at a Spire or similar would be c. £240 to £300 per hour or maybe a flat fee per consultation (perhaps c. £160) regardless of length.
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite

Round here a private GP would charge c. £100 for a 30 min appointment. Most private consultant appointments at a Spire or similar would be c. £240 to £300 per hour or maybe a flat fee per consultation (perhaps c. £160) regardless of length.

the amount that Consultants charge for the 1st consultation is largely determined on what most insurance companies are prepared to pay (I had a meeting recently with the Spire patient services manager) Consultants normally will charge that maximum rate.

I've seen quite a few this year on a self-pay basis. So the consultants have charged me £250 for 1/2 hr consult. You might then want to ask his/her secretary for a fixed price cost for any surgery. Fixed prices will include everything (apart from any meds) and will include the 15 minute follow up appointment afterwards.

Otherwise a follow up will be around £150. I've just paid a £160 one for 15 mins with my neurologist.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,523
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    uknick wrote: »

Please don't try the emergency unit. A boil isn't an emergency and they've got enough to deal with with real emergencies. If it's infected the GP can prescribe antibiotics.

However if you've seen the GP and are waiting for a further consultation, are they wanting to rule out something more serious and is that why the private healthcare costs are higher?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,869
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    going to work in China in January where I will have private healthcare but I don't want to seem to be taking the proverbial with a pre-existing thing that I have saved up for the occasion.

But you are prepared to do so with a private healthcare provider here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure