Low Carb Diets Support Thread

gunsandbanjos
gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
PPI Party Pooper
edited 16 February 2014 at 11:11PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Bright and shiny new thread as requested.

Continuation of this thread.

Updated recipe list here
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Comments

• gunsandbanjos
    PPI Party Pooper
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • gunsandbanjos
    PPI Party Pooper
    Mercy's recipe list

Thanks Mercy:A
    Bertrand Russell
  • gunsandbanjos
    PPI Party Pooper
    Been feeling ill since yesterday but managed to mostly stick to plan, had a minor blip this afternoon with 2 mini creme eggs.
    Bertrand Russell
  • gunsandbanjos
    PPI Party Pooper
    Where is everyone? Feeling all lonely...

Just had 2 hard boiled eggs mixed up with butter and a few slices of cheese. Still feeling rubbish:-(
    Bertrand Russell
  • eleanor73
    eleanor73 Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 February 2014 at 2:01PM
    Been feeling ill since yesterday but managed to mostly stick to plan, had a minor blip this afternoon with 2 mini creme eggs.

That is a minor blip! I managed to get through valentines night without chocolate (normally it is a chocolate fest!) I even bought a bar of dark to grate over some rasperries with cream but after my main I didn't fancy it. Still to eat this eve maybe.

Can't be bothered today. Hungry but don't fancy anything!

Thanks for starting a new thread GunsandBanjos! Hope you feel better soon!
    Since starting again after beanie: June 2016: Child development DVDs, Massive Attack tickets. July: Aberystwyth trip, hotmilk nightie. Aug: £10 Hipp Organic vouchers, powerpack. September: Sunglasses. October: £30 poundland vouchers.
  • gunsandbanjos
    PPI Party Pooper
    Thanks Eleanor, still feeling rubbish but trying to get on with it.

Sweet finally got some of those crispbreads from H&B, they are not the worst thing ever, just had one with lots of butter and cheese. They ate edible ish.

Got some yummy chicken satay sticks from sainsburys http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Cooked_Prepared_Meat_And_Poultry/Taste_Original_Mini_Chicken_Satay_12_per_pack_120g.html
    They are 3g carbs per 100g, they are great for a snack, had a couple with garlic mayo earlier - they are 99% chicken.
    Bertrand Russell
  • eleanor73
    eleanor73 Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Will look for the Satay sticks. Love Satay. I ate some raspberries but now I feel a bit bloated. To be fair it's probably the most sugar I've had since Dec.
    Today has been one of the hardest days. It's Saturday and I'm in alone as my fiance is out but I knew I would want to drink as they are all out on a big one. Also my Mum and Dad are out for dinner with my Aunty and they asked me but I am sick of being a pain in restaurants and changing the menu and not enjoying my food as much as fed up with salad and protein. I've not been into food since this diet. I know everyone says that it's still nice etc but I am fed up with meat, eggs, cheese and salad leaves!! Might make another curry tomorrow! Just not interested so have eaten rubbish all day-meat, cheese, a boiled egg and raspberries. Fed up!
    Since starting again after beanie: June 2016: Child development DVDs, Massive Attack tickets. July: Aberystwyth trip, hotmilk nightie. Aug: £10 Hipp Organic vouchers, powerpack. September: Sunglasses. October: £30 poundland vouchers.
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2014 at 9:13PM
    :j

Hello again all!

Am LC'ing again. You'll see i tried before (old posts)-but if I'm honest it was scuppered as i was seriously hitting the voddie (!!!!!!)-not drinking at all at the moment-just don't fancy it-no cravings-2 months no booze! Thank Jason Vales book for that...lol!

Ok...started last Sunday. 30gms carb a day (I know not hard core Atkins 20 gms but find that a bit restrictive for healthy veg etc & i do like a small bit of berry fruits!). Don't think I went keto properly uuntil Tueday (usual on Mon/Tue-peeing LOADS of water!). I'm keeping an eye on keto with ketostix (I'm a bit anal with that & exact carb counts & recipes-sadly enjoy it!). I think the 5:2 is the ONLY other sensible option..but prefer the LC way-no fast days! Since stopping drinking I'm afraid to say I became a bit addicted to sainsbury/tesco finest shorbread with choc (4 massive blocks a pack!)-eating minimum 1 pack sometimes 2 1/2 (omg!) a day! Resultant weight gain of around 1 stone 4 pounds in 7 weeks-also had loads of sugary bran flakes...far more cakes than usual...pizza etc etc & a lot of sandwiches (doorsteps of cheese!)... I guess a lot of this is down to not drinking...brain is used to carbs/alcohol so easy to get 'hooked' ???! After watching that BBC 2 DOCUMENTARY RE: SUGAR/FAT-THEY CONCLUDED THAT THERE IS no OFF SWICH FOR FAT+CARBS/SUGAR COMBINED-SCARY (!).

I do however go to the gym 3 times a week-weights/kettlebells & short tabata (its a killer-only 7 minutes!) training for cardio.

So........off i started last Sunday. Absolutely NO calorie counting-quite a lot of cream, cheese, etc.....but also low carb veg like cabbage, frozen sprouts, sweed mash etc....& using ALDI splenda type thing as a sweetener (0.5 gms carbs/teaspoon).

Even had a curry takeout last night! Large Lamb Karai, chicken seek kebab (a bit of chickpea flour in it apparently) & 25gm chapati (12 gm carb!).

START WEIGHT-LAST SUNDAY-90 KG-14 STONE 3 OR 4 LBS-KETOSIS ONLY STARTED TUESDAY-NOW 87KG-13ST 10LBS!

I'm aware some water weight goes but happy with that!

My rules...

30 gm (give or take 1 carb or so!) carbs a day...at least 2 portions low carb fruit/veg a day, max 13 carbs approx 1 sitting, no calorie counting.

I do take girlfriends fibergel twice daily to...ahem help with number two's (!)....but am today adding 2tbsp flax in daily instead.

Also after extensive reading I'm upping the fats-I use MTC ( i think?)-cheap coconut oil-minimum 2 tbsp a day (gross I know but I have in coffee with cream)-this contains MGT triglicerades that QUICKEN fat burn/ketosis.

As an example breakfast I may have bacon, eggs, small measured ammt beans, either savoury or sweet (with splenda)-low carb pancakes...dinner usuually meat (4 shoulder pork chops from aldi-£2-jerked!) & veg...lunch nibbles of cheese...or a 5 gm carb crispbread & cheese....value tandoori chicken fillet etc...when I get more organised will make/freeze casseroles, chilli etc.

bread if needed? Burgen soy/linseed-12-3gm carb/slice-1/2 slice fine-or 5carb crispbread! Another tip-aldi cream of chicken or mushroom soup-7.5gms carbs/1/2 tin!

Another tip-whole linseed (flax)-asian shops-£1-20 a big bag-grind yourself-holland & barret-3 times that!

Lots of water too.

Also...having had depression in the past (not on meds)-my mood is FAB-much much better than when eating carbs.

So..........will carry this on-feel great!

Also...never had the dreaded 'carb flu'-just went to the loo a lot for 2 days!

For anyone wanting to try low carbing-& to indeed once weight is lot incorperate a lot into new way of eating for life...it WORKS. Yes-it DOES INVOLVE A BIT (WELL FOR ME!) OF anal lable reading...knowing carb conten....etc..plus buy a digital set of scales-essential!

Last tip of the day! Cheapest 'splenda' type sucralose sweetener-0.5gms carb/tsp-ALDI! Order from Ebay-the 'crazy sweet' brand i think-LIQUID sucralose-1 drop =2 teaspoons-NO CARBS/CALORIES-lasts for much longer than powdered aldi stuff. For me as well (received it this am!) I like my coffee/pankakes sweet so the 6gm or more of carbs saved will allow another portion healthy fruit/veg!! TIP 2! Google amazon sucralose powder-£14 3100 gm-mix in 25% concentration with boiled cooled water & add to empty sweetener dropperbottle-it'll last a year & save a fortune!

Thats it for now...hop to catch up (maybe not daily) with some feedback & recipes! Many other guys on here...or is it mainly lovely ladies lol!
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Debtmonkey!

Happy place, mostly women but blokes do use this thread. :D

You've done well with the weight and your motivation is ace!

When you post your recipes pls do em as a separate post and pm me so I can include them on the list.

I expect you know the recipe list but if not there's a link on post 3 of this thread or page 1 of the older one.

I love flax as it helps with 'things' :rotfl: and there are some good ideas on the recipe list. My current fave is the 'flax cracker type thing' as it is so easy to do and gives a good crunchy base for alsorts.

Hope you like it here! :j

Mx
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • gunsandbanjos
    PPI Party Pooper
    Got some cauliflower cheese in the oven for dinner, still feeling crappy but trying to get through it.
    Bertrand Russell
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure