Not so sure about this heating engineer...

2»

Comments

• jefaz07
    jefaz07 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Talldave wrote: »
    A good example of the sort of problem that could have been diagnosed with one of those neon mains testers - tracing the "live" call for heat through the thermostat and motorised valve.

In the OP's case, I cannot see why the thermostat was changed if the boiler was coming on in response to the thermostat. It's clearly the valve and until it's changed the problem won't go away!!!

The boiler wouldn’t come on in response to the stat if the valve motor didn’t work. That’s what I can’t understand here.
    How many valves are there?
    Is it a ‘S’ plan or ‘Y’ plan?
    Or other?
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 November 2019 at 9:16PM
    jefaz07 wrote: »
    The boiler wouldn’t come on in response to the stat if the valve motor didn’t work. That’s what I can’t understand here.
    How many valves are there?
    Is it a ‘S’ plan or ‘Y’ plan?
    Or other?

Wouldn't it if the microswitch were shorted?

It's puzzling that the thermostat apparently stopped working during the repair, which makes you wonder if there are dodgy connections in the wiring centre.
  • jefaz07
    jefaz07 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Talldave wrote: »
    Wouldn't it if the microswitch were shorted?

It's puzzling that the thermostat apparently stopped working during the repair, which makes you wonder if there are dodgy connections in the wiring centre.

Or he’s dropped a wire out during the replacement. And has no idea where it goes back!! The chances of the wiring Center being a mess are high.
    I used to cut the wire on the old valve and connect into another junction box I’d install if the wires were dodgy.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    A good starting point is if you can quote the make and model of the valve that is currently fitted. Some have a separate motor and valve assembly and some come in one chunk. If its the former,then there is no point in changing a motor if the valve itself is seized. The whole valve assy would need to be replaced which would likely involve a system drain off.

Many "engineers" are not that hot on electrics and so maybe the new valve has been wired in incorrectly?

Maybe he has fitted a different make and model of new valve?

This should be a relatively easy issue to diagnose and sort out.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • TheOne
    TheOne Posts: 137 Forumite
    So... during the time they were here, one of the guy tested the programmer and suggested that might be faulty. So I bought a new programmer and after the valve motor had been replaced it all seems to be working again! :)
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Will it still work with old programmer?
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Will it still work with old programmer?

I doubt anyone is going to reinstall it to find out. But installation might have jiggled connections in the wiring centre that were a bit dodgy?
  • TheOne wrote: »
    So... during the time they were here, one of the guy tested the programmer and suggested that might be faulty. So I bought a new programmer and after the valve motor had been replaced it all seems to be working again! :)

So how much have Laurel & Hardy charged to replace the three port valve motor, room thermostat and now the programmer?

You were right to be suspicious of these cowboys, all three items were faulty when you called them out!

No basic fault diagnosis has taken place here, just a pathetic poke and hope approach which is very common in garages with the customer paying for each failed attempt to fix the problem!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure