PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

TOOOOO Many Tomatoes, Help Please

Comments

• skyepark
    skyepark Posts: 419 Forumite
    passata

tomato soup.

tomato juice
  • Firehorse
    Firehorse Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not sure about the GI rating, but how about chutney. I love it when my dd has a glut of toms, can't make enough of it.
    New Mantra: I must not visit MSE until after I've completed all my chores!!!!!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Depends how big they are but I really like stuffed tomatoes
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Mummy_Jo
    Mummy_Jo Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not sure about the GI Rating but what about a ratatouille? A good way to use up loads of veg. You could always freeze it and use it later too
  • loren83
    loren83 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    npsmama wrote: »
    Slice them.
    Coat them with olive oil.
    Dry them on a baking sheet in the oven on lowest temperature.

When leathery, place in a jar. Cover with olive oil and herbs.

Tada! 'Sun-dried' tomatoes!

Ooooh I do this to! Sprinkle them with a little salt sugar and pepper too. They are great thown into some pesto spaghetti with some rocket. My fav instant meal :drool:
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    Pasta sauce - saute onions & garlic, add the tomatoes, a squirt of tom puree, teaspoon of italian herbs, a tin of chickpeas, some frozen sweetcorn and peas. Simmer for a while - this freezes really well and actually tastes better with age :)
  • ecsb
    ecsb Posts: 158 Forumite
    In our greengrocers they have a big basket of cherry tomatoes for £1.What could i use them for? Nothing too complicated please.
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    I eat them instead of sweets :)
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • Roast them in the oven with a splash of olive oil, salt and pepper and then serve them as a veg with part of a meal. Or if you prefer them raw make an easy salad with lettuce, feta and olives or with mozzarella and basil. Or roast in the oven as above and then blend with hand blender to make a nice sauce for chicken / fish.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I got a huge bag of cherry toms for £1 last time I went to Borough market, and I turned them into a nice pasta sauce. I just sauteed off some onion and garlic, then added the tomatoes, a dash of white wine and some fresh basil. I put a lid on the pan until the the tomatoes burst, then I simmered it for twenty mintues or so until it thickened. It was lovely and froze really well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure