"Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it."

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    My office should be done today, which means I'll be able to start unpacking the stuff to go back in there and get on with sorting out my paperwork.

Apparently the sitting room and hall should also be finished (but I'm sceptical). No builders tomorrow, so will have a lie-in.

Second curtain pole is due to arrive today, so I should be able to put curtains up too...

The house is finally warm, and as it is trying to snow I'm hoping door-opening will be kept to a minimum. The new flooring has definitely helped. So curtains, furniture and rugs will all be an improvement.
  • greenbee
    So apart from the dining room (which needed a few bits doing at the end) everything ended up being finished at the same time (i.e. there was something unfinished in each room which prevented it being back in use) but they finished on time and I'm delighted with the results.

Getting things straight was slightly daunting, but my lovely cleaner has been incredibly flexible in helping minimise the dirt spreading to the rest of the house, and in the last couple of weeks has been in frequently to help me clean up as I move things round. Some bits of the floor still need hand washing as the manufacturing/storage/installation dirt doesn't come off with a mop, but can't be seen unless you're on your hands and knees inspecting it! It does feel odd though.

So the stove was installed on the builders' last day, and as I had a new chimney pot put on, I had to wait until the following monday to start using it. As I was busy it took a few days to do as it needed 3 burns (gradually increasing the amount of fuel/time/temperature) to clear the fumes. It's now running pretty well - it kept warm overnight and kept going while we were out during the day today. I'm going to see whether I can keep it going tonight (I guess it depends on when I get up).

My mum arrived on Tuesday and has been a huge help in getting me straight. We have moved furniture (some of it not things I would have thought of, but they've worked...), unpacked books, packed up kitchen stuff as we've been looking for stuff while cooking, put up christmas decorations, cooked lots of bits of Christmas dinner (we took them with us) and for boxing day and done a certain amount of cleaning. We've also bought a couple of things (new sofa, upholstered footstool, lamp) that are needed. And had ideas (I have a lot of old oriental rugs. I also have eight dining chairs that need reseating... I'm going to see whether the two could be put together!). So the house is looking pretty good at the moment...

Builders will be back after NY to make a start on the kitchen & utility. So I need to make quite a few decisions - new front & back doors and floor tiles are the most urgent. Plus I want to get blinds delivered while they are still here so they can put them up as I know I won't do such a good job. I have a very long list of things to get done before they are back, and a lot of decisions to make but I finally feel like the house is coming together as a proper grown-up house rather than being chaotic and hopeless.

The office and my bedroom are both complete tips. I'm hoping to get some of my bedroom furniture rearranged in the next couple of days as I will have people here. The office requires organisational skills and filing. It may also need to involve alcohol.
  • Hello. What stove did you choose? Did you manage Christmas at home in the end? Happy Christmas!
  • greenbee
    Happy Christmas to you too...

I ended up with an Arada Ecoburn Plus 5 with a multifuel grate (I have yet to try the solid fuel, but as I forgot to bring anymore logs into the garage and have used all the dry ones, I might do this today). Several people recommended it, it has a good efficiency rating and I like the look - neither traditional nor contemporary, but with a large window. I didn't want the stove to be the most interesting looking thing in the room!

My mum stayed for Christmas, but we went over to my brother's for the meal as my kitchen (and oven) aren't up to cooking the whole meal. Plus my brother is MUCH better at roast potatoes than I am ;) Maybe next year (or the year after if we can get away with going to my mum's next year....)
  • juliejim
    juliejim Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sounds like it's all coming together greenbee. Will the builders be finished for when you start your new job?
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
  • greenbee
    edited 29 December 2017 at 12:26PM
    I hope so Julie! That's the deadline they are being given (I must make decisions on doors and floor tiles and email them so they can order them for when they start).

My aunt has been here for a few days, and I've just dropped her at the station. I was planning on driving my mum home today (originally she was going by train, but there are some things I want to go back to hers - old CD player which she would like, shelves that I've had on loan for 4 years, Christmas presents she was given that won't fit in her suitcase despite everyone knowing she was travelling by train... - and some things I want to pick up like the log splitter to deal with the vast pile of bits of tree on the patio) but I've got a filthy cold and am definitely not fit to drive. So she's staying today and we'll have to decide whether she gets the train tomorrow or I'm well enough to drive her there and come back on Sunday.

In the meantime we're making a start on packing up the kitchen now we don't need so much stuff as there are no visitors. And we might make some decisions on where some of the pictures go (must order decent picture pins and maybe get the builders to put them up while the electrician is doing stuff in the kitchen).

I have ordered privacy blinds, and sent off for some fabric samples so I can get a couple more blinds made up. I have lots of fabric here, but realistically am not going to have much time to make blinds, so thought that for the ones I don't have the right fabric for I'd take advantage of the sales...
  • greenbee
    Fabric samples arrived today, and I found two that work, so blinds for the ensuite and downstairs loo are now on order. Fingers crossed my measurements/maths are correct!

I've also ordered a small log holder, some picture pins and some heavy duty picture hooks.

I'm slightly overwhelmed by how much stuff is going to have to go into the garage - fridge, freezer, cooker, WM, TD and all the furniture/units. I think some bits of furniture will have to go into the dining room. As will most of the food, as that can't really go in the garage. I just hope they can stick to the two week timeline for getting things out, done and back in again. Two weeks with no laundry or cooking facilities is going to be a long two weeks..
  • greenbee
    Happy New Year!

I'm off to a good start and need to keep up momentum. I stayed with friends over NYE/NYD and have been sent home with some lights that should work in the main bathroom and the dining room. The dining room lights have also given me ideas for the ensuite.

I have 3 weeks until I'm back at work, so need to make the most of this time to get the house organised and my financial paperwork sorted out. And get back to running. Clearly eating properly won't be happening until the builders have gone again! I managed to sit down on NYE and make a list of what needs to get done each week. So the plan is to use daylight hours to do the things that need doing out of the house (e.g. going to choose tiles, clearing the garage, gardening) and when it's dark sort out inside stuff (putting up pictures, sorting out the offices, working on my finances). I'm going to take advantage of the no kitchen situation to spend time with friends for meals - I normally try to avoid social situations revolving around food, but this is a good time to make an exception!

Plan for today:

Spend an hour tidying the garage
    Tidy the freezer
    Select tiles & doors
    Email builder re. tiles & doors
    Measure & plan utility room
    Email re. kitchen units (these are second hand)
    Get work laptop up and running
    Go for a walk (bottle bank/friends in village)
  • greenbee
    So
      I tidied the garage... Not sure there's room for everything that needs to be in there, so I need to see what more I can do.
      I tidied the freezer
      I went to look at tiles (not inspired, so need to think some more about it)
      Looked at washing machines, dryers and fridge/freezers in preparation for deciding on models
      Cleared half the stream and raked up the rest of it into piles in the middle ready to fish out tomorrow.
      Logged into some online accounts and now need to call some of them to find out why I can't see what I need to, as well as having a think about where my investments should be. I may combine two pensions, and I also need to find out how to make manual payments into my pension while I'm not getting company pension contributions during my probationary period.

I now need to think about setting up some savings accounts and a cash ISA so I can build up a new emergency fund once the building work has drained current savings (and work out how big it should be) and then hopefully start overpaying the mortgage. I want to start overpaying now, but I know I need to do all the other stuff first.
  • juliejim
    juliejim Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Happy Birthday Greenbee - hope you have a lovely day!
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport