Starting over 2017

Comments

• Dorastar
    Dorastar Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Have been on SC online and started the process of working everything out. Horrible feeling and it makes me realise just how shaky things can be. Even if I get a job tomorrow (unlikely on Christmas day lol) then it won't be at the level it was and we won't have enough to love frugally and pay the bills and debts so something has to give.
    Wondering whether critical illness insurance is ok under a SC plan as hubby has one which we could reduce and cash in some parts but I don't want to cash it in completely as he's had cancer in the past and his family health history isn't good. He's also got a small pension pot he could access but even with these together we'd still have £14k of remaining debt that we can't pay.
    Mortgage £128,626 going down slowly
  • I would have thought critical illness insurance would be ok, particularly if he's had cancer before.

It sounds like going through the Stepchange process will give you peace of mind, although it can be stressful initially.

I hope you have a lovely Christmas, despite your money worries :xmassmile
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Dorastar
    Trying but doing too much crying at the moment which isn't helping matters much.
  • Try not to worry so much Dora it can all be sorted.

I promise you that Stepchange will be able to help you and your situation will become manageable. DH and I spoke to them on the phone to set up our token payments and they were lovely. They don't judge and don't care how you got into debt; they just help and reassure you.

It's only money, not life and death. The most important thing at Christmas is having the people you love around you, not money.

I'll be thinking of you and hoping you feel better soon xx
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Dorastar
    Thank you for your reply, I have calmed down a lot now and had a good chat to hubby. We have been through tough times before and we will prevail, again. Just such an emotional roller coaster this year and I still have low days.
  • I know you'll be all right if you just stay positive. Things will get better. I'm glad you've had a talk with hubby and are feeling a bit more cheerful xx
  • Dorastar
    edited 27 December 2017 at 12:55PM
    Having a day of rest, reading up on all things financial and trying to work out the numbers. Got to take this by the scruff of the neck and deal with it.
  • Dorastar
    Right, mortgage provider has given us a three month holiday so that's a huge change right there. Have filled freezer with reduced meats in sales and got a plan of action. Hubby is working all the hours he can too so this part is my 'job' for now.
  • That will give you a breather for a few months. It's a lot easier to stop paying the credit cards though, as a general rule.

I hope you manage to get things sorted out. Have you put up your SOA yet?
  • Dorastar
    edited 29 December 2017 at 6:39PM
    Not got any credit cards, just mortgage and the two loans on signature, but if I'm not earning regularly I can't pay them and mortgage hence the need to look at a possible DMP if we have to.
    Haven't put SOA up tbh, another thing on the list. Have trimmed loads off it and know that two cars is the biggie left now but if I do supply days I can't really without one and hubby is on odd shifts. Once the boy is in high school next year then car sharing becomes more possible but atm his school is 5 miles away and last time we did the journey by bus it was an hour and a half each way.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure