Final settlement PRA

Hi, I’ve just sent my letter off to PRA with an offer of a final settlement to be paid in dec when we are gifted £1000 from a relative to help towards our debt.
The total debt with them would be £2500 at that stage so it’s a good chunk (currently paying £106 a month to them from a total of £456 a month in total to all creditors). Are they likely to ask for more info? Likely to accept? As it’s 40%ish is it more likely they’ll accept? It’s our biggest debt and would mean the £106 could be spread between the others.
Just feeling hesitant 😬 any advice/support/experience? Thanks

Comments

• Have you done a CCA request for this debt to check it is enforceable?

My only experience of settling with PRA was for an unenforceable debt and they settled at 10% of the outstanding balance - which was good for them as technically I could have ignored it completely.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi, I’ve just sent my letter off to PRA with an offer of a final settlement to be paid in dec when we are gifted £1000 from a relative to help towards our debt.
    The total debt with them would be £2500 at that stage so it’s a good chunk (currently paying £106 a month to them from a total of £456 a month in total to all creditors). Are they likely to ask for more info? Likely to accept? As it’s 40%ish is it more likely they’ll accept? It’s our biggest debt and would mean the £106 could be spread between the others.
    Just feeling hesitant �� any advice/support/experience? Thanks
    Have you done a CCA request for this debt to check it is enforceable?

My only experience of settling with PRA was for an unenforceable debt and they settled at 10% of the outstanding balance - which was good for them as technically I could have ignored it completely.

Good advice above, always CCA the debt purchaser first before making or accepting settlement offers, if they don`t or cant`t provide necessary paperwork, they will most likely accept a lot less to clear the debt, or, you could quite legally just walk away.

Link to CCA letter here :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Information-about-your-agreement-under-the-Consumer-Credit-Act-%28sole-name%29.aspx
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Just_Di
    Just_Di Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 September 2018 at 4:12PM
    I’ve just sent my letter off to PRA with an offer of a final settlement . . . .

Are they likely to ask for more info? Likely to accept? As it’s 40%ish is it more likely they’ll accept? It’s our biggest debt and would mean the £106 could be spread between the others.
    Just feeling hesitant �� any advice/support/experience?

I agree with the others that you should send a s 77-79 CCA Request to PRA to see if the debt is enforceable which could increase your bargaining power if it isn't.

Sometimes it makes sense to make a low opening offer and then work up to the maximum you can afford if pushed.

Debt purchasers typically pay 10p in the pound for debts so they have room to manoeuvre and still make a profit.

Who was the original creditor (MBNA or Egg/Barclaycard?) and when did you open the account?

In answer to your question about having experience with PRA, all I can say is that I beat them in court last year (PRA Group (UK) Ltd v Diana Mayhew) so I have a full understanding of their strengths and weaknesses.

I'm glad you're feeling hesitant. Take your time and do your research before parting with your money :)

Di
  • Thanks all, I know there are various loopholes and letter systems we can go through but tbh we borrowed the money (mostly interest free too) so My concience wants to pay it back albeit with a reduced offer! The stress of debts has weighed us down for too long and fingers crossed we’re in a position to hopefully pay it off within the year. We’re currently paying £456 a month via a debt management plan so making our way through it £15k paid already £18k to go ��
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I totally understand how you feel, from a moral standpoint. Yes, you borrowed the money and feel obligated to repay it. But as you've said - you want to do that at a 'reduced price' and so you should follow the advice about sending them a CCA request.

This will do two things - give you 'timeout' from your payments to them (they suspend collection activity whilst investigating) which would give you time to build up more money towards that F&F. If it comes back UE - you will have more leverage to get a good discount and can hold out for as long as it takes to get it. If it comes back enforceable, you've lost nothing and can then follow the advice to offer a low F&F and build on that through negotiation if necessary.

I have a UE with PRA and have not paid them anything since they confirmed it (some 6 months or so ago) and the last statement I received about a month ago has now offered me a 65% discount. The other 2 UEs are currently at the 20% discount mark. It's a waiting game -but one worth playing.
  • They have declined the offer unfortunately, what would be the best course from here (as discussed were not doing CCA so can I kindly ask no more suggestions about that). They’ve basically said the full amount is all they’d accept £2700 ish. Is it worth counter offering straight away or shall we switch to another crust or and offer to them? Thanks x
  • They have declined the offer unfortunately, what would be the best course from here (as discussed were not doing CCA so can I kindly ask no more suggestions about that). They’ve basically said the full amount is all they’d accept £2700 ish. Is it worth counter offering straight away or shall we switch to another crust or and offer to them? Thanks x

You could go back with a slightly higher offer. However, if they won't budge you are stuck. As you are paying them a nice amount each month, they have no reason to play nice. They might as well have a nice monthly, no arguments payment from you each month than accept a reduced settlement offer. After all they only have to wait 23 or 24 months and they will have the full amount settled. If it were me, that would be a no-brainer to stick with you making monthly payments of £106. They are only going to consider good reduced settlements where people are only paying small amounts in relation to the size of the debt. For example if you were paying £106 pm but you owed £10,000, that is going to take them 7 yrs 10 months to collect - and it may be worth them taking 50% to have the lump sum now.

I know you don't want to hear it, but the only weapons you potentially could have to achieve a decent F&F discount are to either reduce the monthly payments you are making or take the CCA route and hope for an unenforceable credit agreement.
  • 3011gillian
    3011gillian Posts: 136 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2018 at 10:27AM
    Thank you yes I can see that. Our thinking was start with the highest debt and work down but I can see how £106 would be a lot to them. We’re on a dmp so everything is budgetted and we’re paying £456 a month(basically everything I earn and we’re living on hubby’s salary) we’d not easily be able to offer less each month as it’s deemed what we can afford..
    We only have a set amount to offer so offering more isn’t really feasible do you think it’s worth trying our lowest amount approx £8 monthly payment on £1700 debt?
  • We wanted to start with the highest one so the £106 could then spread between the others and clear debt faster but if we’re clear the lowest ones it only gives an extra £8 to spread between the others �� not sure wether to save more and keep trying PRA or just to start with the lowest (just seems the slowest way to clear debts!)
  • I am confused - how are you paying £8 pm on a £1700 debt and £106 pm on a £2500 debt?

On a DMP you are supposed to treat all creditors equally and therefore each should get a percentage of your available funds in relation to the balance owed. In this way all creditors will be paid off in the same time frame.

If you are paying £8 pm to a £1700 debt then it will take almost 18 years to clear, whilst the one you are paying £106 pm to for a debt of £2500 will clear in less than 2 years.

I may have made an incorrect assumption that you are in a DMP - apologies if this is the case, but it would be good to know how your payment percentages to each creditor was worked out.

In answer to your question, you are likely to have more luck with a settlement offer on the £8 pm / £1700 debt as it is going to take the creditor a long time to recover the money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure