Is there anyone I can report housing benefit folk too?

Long story short as I have mentioned this before. Last year I had a housing benefit overpayment. It had been going on for 4-5 years, to do with change of tax code and me not notifying them, I thought I did but took it on the chin and arranged repayment.

So last month no housing benefit. I phoned to enquire why only to be told a pack of lies, no problem just a system issue you will get it backdated in next payment run. The following day in comes a letter about another overpayment for the previous year for £400. Impossible as I I told them when my tax code changed, I told them this and they told me to appeal an put it in writing.

So I did I put it in writing, I gave them times and dates I called from itemised phone bills. 2 weeks went on no reply, I said to the Mrs "I bet the next thing will be they never received this" so I phoned yep never received anything. So I sent it again made sure I sent it recorded, gave another few days, no nothing, I said you have received it and gave the tracking number "Ah well that must have got misplaced.

I smell something fishy going on here. My letter was blunt and to the point along with all times and dates I called them, I caught them out, I told them someone at that front desk is not doing their job clearly, and I was even told a pack of lies when I called to inquire why my money was not in. I told them to listen to these so-called recorded calls.

So you see the issue here. Where do I go now?

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Go through your local council's complaints procedure. It will be on their website..

If you are still unhappy try the LGO

https://www.lgo.org.uk

But they'll expect you to try and sort it locally, first.
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Go through your local council's complaints procedure. It will be on their website..

If you are still unhappy try the LGO

https://www.lgo.org.uk

But they'll expect you to try and sort it locally, first.

Do you think I have good cause to or would I be making a !!!! of myself?
  • A phone call reporting a change in tax code won't alter your Housing Benefit claim until you send in documentary evidence of the change in income.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
  • n1guy wrote: »

Have you made a formal complaint in writing to the Council?

If not the LGO won't look at it.
  • n1guy
    _shel wrote: »
    Have you made a formal complaint in writing to the Council?

If not the LGO won't look at it.

No. I didn’t know what to do or where to go hence this post
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    n1guy wrote: »

No comment

I've learnt from long experience that making a judgement having heard only one side of the story is fraught with difficulties.

All I'd say is that you have a history of problems with your HB. You can either continue moaning about it on this forum or take the issue up the food chain. We can't sort it for you
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    n1guy wrote: »
    Long story short as I have mentioned this before. Last year I had a housing benefit overpayment. It had been going on for 4-5 years, to do with change of tax code and me not notifying them, I thought I did but took it on the chin and arranged repayment.

So last month no housing benefit. I phoned to enquire why only to be told a pack of lies, no problem just a system issue you will get it backdated in next payment run. The following day in comes a letter about another overpayment for the previous year for £400. Impossible as I I told them when my tax code changed, I told them this and they told me to appeal an put it in writing.

So I did I put it in writing, I gave them times and dates I called from itemised phone bills. 2 weeks went on no reply, I said to the Mrs "I bet the next thing will be they never received this" so I phoned yep never received anything. So I sent it again made sure I sent it recorded, gave another few days, no nothing, I said you have received it and gave the tracking number "Ah well that must have got misplaced.

I smell something fishy going on here. My letter was blunt and to the point along with all times and dates I called them, I caught them out, I told them someone at that front desk is not doing their job clearly, and I was even told a pack of lies when I called to inquire why my money was not in. I told them to listen to these so-called recorded calls.

So you see the issue here. Where do I go now?

If the opening post is in relation to the saga here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5886428
    Then why don't you just update on that one

You will have to formally ask for any recorded phone calls and be aware some systems only keep them for so long, so be sharpish asking.
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    check online for your council complaint process. If you do not receive a satisfactory response then contact lgo per the link below

https://www.lgo.org.uk/make-a-complaint/fact-sheets/benefits-and-tax/housing-benefit-claims
  • n1guy
    tboo wrote: »
    If the opening post is in relation to the saga here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5886428
    Then why don't you just update on that one

You will have to formally ask for any recorded phone calls and be aware some systems only keep them for so long, so be sharpish asking.

So here’s the issue. They have no record of any contact or so they say, my telephone bill says different.
  • n1guy wrote: »
    So here’s the issue. They have no record of any contact or so they say, my telephone bill says different.

...and?

If you did report a change they would have said provide documentary evidence of the change as soon as it is available.

I assume if you did have a telephone conversation you then sent in the documentary evidence of the change in your income as soon as it was available?
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure