Suspended for gross misconduct...help

Options

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I really think you should see if you can negotiate resigning with a neutral reference. That way you can at least stand a chance of gaining decent employment in the future.

Time away from work will also allow you to concentrate on your health issues.
  • waamo
    Options
    Take time away and get some help.
  • ds383
    ds383 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Would I negotiate that after the meeting is over or before?
  • waamo
    Options
    I strongly suspect that after the meeting you will no longer be an employee and have nothing to negotiate.

Go in, explain your health problems and ask them. If they say no then frankly you won't have lost anything.

It will probably look better in the future to have resigned rather than be sacked too.
  • ds383
    Options
    But surely as an employer shouldn't they try and support and help employees who have alcohol abuse problems and not just fire them?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ds383 wrote: »
    I do measure it in a shot glass. I take a certain amount of shots, and never go over the same amount. I only do this several times a week. I only work 32 hours. On my days off I don't drink at all.

Well that's alright then - measuring the vodka, never exceeding 13 shots and only doing it several times a week sounds perfectly normal. My only hope is that you aren't driving to work.

BTW - if you habitually drink half a bottle before attending work, presumably without your employer noticing that you're intoxicated, then how could a couple of glasses of wine have made you visibly drunk at your disciplinary?
  • waamo
    Options
    ds383 wrote: »
    But surely as an employer shouldn't they try and support and help employees who have alcohol abuse problems and not just fire them?

Why should they? I'm beginning to think you are taking the pee too.
  • ds383
    Options
    Because when I show up for work, I work extremely hard. I do over time whenever they ask. I'm a good, valued worker, respectable and kind to everyone and I enjoy my job.They have documentation on their site about what to do with employees who have alcohol problems and it suggests helping and supporting them in their recovery?
  • ds383
    Options
    No, I don't drive.

I had more than a few glasses of wine, I had a bottle. For some reason wine gets me more drunk than vodka.
  • waamo
    Options
    Good luck. Your going to need it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts