The mindful MFW: A healthy, happy journey to a mortgage free life!

Comments

• Courgette
    Courgette Posts: 3,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh MW! You're my role model! All that family fun, career on track and your mortgage is getting tiny!

When you get chance can you remind me about the house swapping. I'd completely discounted it (strangers in my home??? No way!!!) but actually leaving the house empty for 2 weeks didn't feel great either so I'm much more open to it, DH is too

Glad to hear you've got some extra money coming in for DS2. That's a relief for you xx
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off ;):D :idea: :rotfl:
    Mortgage 1: [STRIKE]£95,000[/STRIKE] £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hello :) I've been reading your diary from the beginning this week and picked up some good tips. Lemon drizzle banana cake is now on my list of new things to do with dodgy bananas :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Have just caught up with your diary, holidays all sound amazing, pleased that your DS is getting some support via DLA. It makes sense if it allows you to more comfortably work three days a week!

Very impressed by all your finacial planning, amazing!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I came on to confess how I haven't even been thinking about money this month, and found all these lovely comments. Thank you! Although I definitely feel like a fraud now :o Will reply to you all in a mo.

I've just put September's current account spends into YNAB but as both our cards for this account stopped working I'm afraid there's still quite some more work to do! The most horrific thing is clothing, £160(!) as needed three pairs of kids shoes, 5 pairs of school trousers for DS as ones order in July are too long, and a major charity shopping spree for clothes for me. I had been feeling terribly guilty about this but over the weekend I swapped out my summer clothes and sorted out the rest of the wardrobe and there is probably only one £2 item I've bought this year that might end up back at the charity shop. My wardrobe is now full, but not busting, and I'm really enjoying having a fun selection of clothes that fit me to choose from. In a strange way I feel like I'm gaining my personality back, I feel more me than I have done in years. Having done Project333 in the past it feels quite uncomfortable to have 70+ items of clothing, but I've realised that I don't need to feel guilty, I just need to enjoy (and hold back on any more purchases for a while). I have a casual winter coat (£8.75) but may need a more work appropriate wool one, that's the only gap I can spot in my wardrobe at present.

Spotted a £50 Beetee charge instead of usual £15, after 1.5hrs on the phone to 4 different departments it turns out I accidentally had a double discount applied to my account for the last year or so, and I'm getting a £10 rebate as a good Will gesture for the hassle of all the calls. I've also been offered a £23 monthly cost for 18 months which I'm going to make my mind up about this evening and call back tomorrow. At least it's better than £50pm! That's why I love YNAB, without it there is no way I would scrutinise my outgoings.

We've got enough money in the holiday budget for an extra jaunt (apart from our Normandy Oct break!) so have just finalised a swap to Belgium for New Year:j!
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • museumworker
    themadvix wrote: »
    Amsterdam sounds great and it sounds like you found a good balance between saving on lunches etc and enjoying being away.

Great news about DLA!

It was such a great holiday thanks, I think we did get the right balance between Lidl packed lunches and a couple of expensive meals out:rotfl:.
    greent wrote: »
    Amsterdam sounds like a fab break - except for the part DD was ill :( xx
    Thanks greent, it was just one of those things that couldn't be helped but at least she got a couple of outings and was happy and comfortable in the place we were staying.
    Courgette wrote: »
    Oh MW! You're my role model! All that family fun, career on track and your mortgage is getting tiny!

When you get chance can you remind me about the house swapping. I'd completely discounted it (strangers in my home??? No way!!!) but actually leaving the house empty for 2 weeks didn't feel great either so I'm much more open to it, DH is too

Glad to hear you've got some extra money coming in for DS2. That's a relief for you xx

:rotfl:I'm laughing quite hard at the idea of being anyone's role model! This weekend we had to abandon a short family walk due to illness, and replace a £70 shoe cabinet DS broke during an anger spell! Apart from that we didn't manage much more than swimming lessons :rotfl:. But I am under the weather (that seems to be the only time I have to come on here!)

Houseswapping is brilliant, message me on FB and we can discuss further. We've honestly saved thousands, and it opens up so many possibilities, you get to feel like you're living somewhere rather than just visiting, plus we swap with people with lots of toys for our kids so it's easy to chill out at their home too. We're just in discussions for our 10th exchange, if you can believe that!

The extra money is a huge relief, we didn't think twice about replacing the shoe cupboard for example :rotfl: :rotfl:. The glamour of parenting a neurodiverse child :rotfl::rotfl:.
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
  • museumworker
    XSpender wrote: »
    Hello :) I've been reading your diary from the beginning this week and picked up some good tips. Lemon drizzle banana cake is now on my list of new things to do with dodgy bananas :)

Glad you've found some useful gems amongst my utter drivel :rotfl:, and let me know how you get on with the banana drizzle.
    jodles16 wrote: »
    Have just caught up with your diary, holidays all sound amazing, pleased that your DS is getting some support via DLA. It makes sense if it allows you to more comfortably work three days a week!

Very impressed by all your finacial planning, amazing!

Jodles :D

Hi Jodles, lovely to see you here and thanks for reading my diary. I'm good at the financial planning but then seem to only stick to it for half the month :rotfl: so I'm hoping to address this tendency, but with kindness and compassion rather than self flagellation which is my usual trick and just makes me contrite for a bit, then do it again!
  • museumworker
    Just sorted home insurance. 45 minutes online and have saved £220 on my renewal quote :j.

Hoping to have a little family outing today as an early birthday treat for me. OH took me out for dinner last night which was lovely.

Just finalising our Easter swap, yay! We've also agreed we can use their car for free so only costs are currently £400 in flights, for 8 days.

Accidentally bought a cordless vac from L!dl yesterday, £90 :o. I'm following the Organsied Mum Method and trying to hoover a little and often during the week. Having a bulky hoover makes this harder. I love it, I did my stairs in 10 mins yesterday and it got loads of fluff out! It only lasts 20 mins but will be great for just keeping on top of the worst of it. And it's the same price as two weeks of a cleaner was :rotfl:!

This week's ta dahh list:
    * Order DD1 bday present
    * Buy small things for DD1 to unwrap on bday
    * bake brownies x 2 (for my bday and DD1)
    * publish one blog post
    * sort back room for DBro staying
    * meet travel blogger
    * cycle bike home for family ride next weekend
    * possibly extra work day :(
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Happy birthday!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • museumworker
    newgirly wrote: »
    Happy birthday!

Thank you! We had a lovely afternoon out at a sculpture park, all very low key and somewhere we've wanted to go for a while. They encouraged us to pick their apples so we came back with dozens of them for packed lunches!

Amazing and unexpected news - DD1 has qualified for a full scholarship for her Saturday school. This is almost £200 a month so will make a huge difference to us financially. I had promised her a trip of a lifetime before she leaves for uni so this means I can start saving for it now. We'll done DD1!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Belated birthday greetings! And huge well done to DD :T :j
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport