Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrsn
    • By Mrsn 25th Oct 19, 2:23 PM
    • 214Posts
    • 191Thanks
    Mrsn
    Any guidance please...
    • 25th Oct 19, 2:23 PM
    Any guidance please... 25th Oct 19 at 2:23 PM
    My husband was informed on the 14th October that due to operational reasons they were proposing redundancy to several departments and other offices in the UK.

His whole entire team (apart from management who somehow have had their roles secured) have now entered the 30 day consultation period but other than that we are completely in the dark.

The paperwork gives references to various different timescales but then says your manager should confirm this (hubby has asked but his manager is insisting he has no idea) and generally the whole thing is very up in the air so to speak.

He has worked there for 2 years and 8 months but I understand that for payment purposes itís only 2 years that counts and that he will have to given a statutory notice period of 2 weeks. Itís pretty much certain the role will become redundant because they wish to hand the department over to the Portugal office and the UK staff have been asked to prepare help sheets etc for those working in Portugal. Also because of redundancies throughout the other departments itís unlikely he will secure a role elsewhere with the employer.

Can anybody advise of what to expect once the 30 day period is over? We have 2 small children and trying to forward plan as much as possible!!
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 25th Oct 19, 3:40 PM
    • 38,040 Posts
    • 23,604 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 25th Oct 19, 3:40 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 3:40 PM
    Contractual notice applies.

Once a place I worked went through a round of redundancy where no manager was included untill they had done the dirty work for the company, they then got added to the list.

Consulting is a two way process, they should keep asking the manager when they will know what is going on.

What are the reps doing(union/elected) they should be engaged in dialogue with the company.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 25th Oct 19, 3:44 PM
    • 12,396 Posts
    • 10,995 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 25th Oct 19, 3:44 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 3:44 PM
    Given that you seem certain he will lose his job, the best piece of advice would be for your husband to start looking for another one now and not wait for official notice of redundancy.
    • ableandy
    • By ableandy 27th Oct 19, 2:28 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    ableandy
    • 27th Oct 19, 2:28 PM
    • 27th Oct 19, 2:28 PM
    To be able to advise fully on the process can you confirm how many people are likely to be made redundant?

Have the consultation meetings started?

What contractural notice is your husband entitled to?
    I am an Employment Law Paralegal and an experienced Human Resources Manager and offer my guidance as simply that ... guidance
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 27th Oct 19, 2:35 PM
    • 11,114 Posts
    • 131,334 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 27th Oct 19, 2:35 PM
    • 27th Oct 19, 2:35 PM
    Get your husband's CV up to day and start looking for a new job / newspapers/ FB / online job agencies etc and start to get his CV out there.
    Sun, Sea

• happyc84
    • By happyc84 6th Nov 19, 11:18 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    happyc84
    • 6th Nov 19, 11:18 PM
    • 6th Nov 19, 11:18 PM
    If your Husband is 41+ years old, the statutory redundancy is 1.5 weeks for every year work.

Terrible timing, and I hope the job market picks up. Been made redundant twice, not easy but can lead to new opportunities.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

2,014Users online

Martin's Twitter