Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Kelvin
    • By MSE Kelvin 15th Oct 19, 6:03 PM
    • 82Posts
    • 195Thanks
    MSE Kelvin
    0 WOW
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell hotel staff the vending machine is dispensing free snacks?
    • 15th Oct 19, 6:03 PM
    0 WOW
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell hotel staff the vending machine is dispensing free snacks? 15th Oct 19 at 6:03 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I regularly stay at a certain budget hotel, which has a vending machine near the entrance. Recently it's had an 'out of order' sign, but when I last stayed, I spotted some other guests using it. When I tried it out, I got a free pack of crisps. So the machine is working... it's just not asking for any money before dispensing items. Should I tell hotel staff?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Oct 19, 6:33 PM
    • 20,965 Posts
    • 124,288 Thanks
    maman
    • 15th Oct 19, 6:33 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 6:33 PM
    I'd hoped this board was a safe space from these anonymous, daft and pointless mse posts.
    • MSE Kelvin
    • By MSE Kelvin 15th Oct 19, 6:38 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    MSE Kelvin
    • 15th Oct 19, 6:38 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 6:38 PM
    I'd hoped this board was a safe space from these anonymous, daft and pointless mse posts.
    Originally posted by maman
    Sorry to have upset you maman. Was tricky to find a suitable home for it as it doesn't fit easily under any of the usual MSE categories, but have moved the thread to the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments board.

Cheers,

MSE Kelvin

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 15th Oct 19, 8:16 PM
    • 7,293 Posts
    • 7,891 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:16 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:16 PM
    If the fault has just occurred then I think the hotel should be informed. If it has been like that for days or weeks and they haven't noticed, I would be less inclined to do so, and more inclined to check if there's anything I fancy before it's emptied completely.
    • iclayt
    • By iclayt 15th Oct 19, 8:29 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    iclayt
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:29 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:29 PM
    The late night reception staff are probably well aware :')
    • Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 15th Oct 19, 8:40 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:40 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:40 PM
    Yes, you should,

It may also be worth speaking to a councilor to understand why you struggle to understand how decent people act.
    • JuliusCaesar
    • By JuliusCaesar 15th Oct 19, 8:44 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    JuliusCaesar
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:44 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:44 PM
    Go down in dead of night and completely empty it.
    • joannebt
    • By joannebt 15th Oct 19, 9:12 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    joannebt
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:12 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:12 PM
    No point vending machines are not run by the hotel and staff will just empty it, remember all the refunds you have been refused in the past because "it's not their machine", however you should take the chance to get all the purchases you are owed due to previous vending machines failing to give your previous purchases.
    • francophilissima
    • By francophilissima 15th Oct 19, 9:32 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    francophilissima
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:32 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:32 PM
    YES. Next question?
    • REJP
    • By REJP 15th Oct 19, 9:51 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    REJP
    Snack machine giving free snacks.
    I respectfully suggest OP looks up the meaning of the word dilemma.
    This is not a dilemma, it is a matter of not stealing from what is already a budget hotel, owners probably finding it hard to make a living. Tell Reception and pay up.
    • Matt8888
    • By Matt8888 15th Oct 19, 9:52 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Matt8888
    “Recently it’s had an out of order sign but when I last stayed I spotted...?!” It is hard to believe it has been out of order during several of your recent visits and on the latest occasion you saw it dispensing free snacks. This would have been picked up during the first restock since the fault, and restocks probably happens every couple of days. To add further doubt, if it had been dispensing free snacks, between those who discovered it, and those they told, it would have been emptied by morning, such is human nature. This all seems rather doubtful.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 15th Oct 19, 10:23 PM
    • 13,026 Posts
    • 29,128 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Stealing is stealing...

Whichever way you look at it.
    • tallmansix
    • By tallmansix 15th Oct 19, 10:43 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    tallmansix
    I think the person asking this question already knows that correct answer is to offer reception the money to cover the crisps and inform them of the broken machine.

However, I think they are looking for people to give reassurance and say "it's okay, take the crisps and maybe some more items and say nothing because I would as well" and thereby justify the theft of crisps and make themselves feel better.

The fact that you have to ask a wider audience suggests there is doubt in the decision to do nothing about it so far.

Personally I would offer the reception staff the money for the crisps, betting on the fact they probably wouldn't accept it but would thank me for my honesty - win win, free crisps and +1 kudos for honesty.
    Last edited by tallmansix; 15-10-2019 at 11:53 PM.
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    2019 Discounts, coupons and cashback = £1,443.52
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 16th Oct 19, 12:08 AM
    • 4,972 Posts
    • 12,415 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Sorry to have upset you maman. Was tricky to find a suitable home for it as it doesn't fit easily under any of the usual MSE categories, but have moved the thread to the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments board.

Cheers,

MSE Kelvin
    Originally posted by MSE Kelvin
    Obviously the MSE team were never taught to recognise scarcasm........
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • debt4life
    • By debt4life 16th Oct 19, 12:37 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    debt4life
    Have you seen how much those places charge? Take what you can while you can.
    • darryluk
    • By darryluk 16th Oct 19, 6:12 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    darryluk
    Please stop these posts!
    These posts are so irritating and annoying. What is the point? I have even begun to think the MSE team is thinking them up to fill space. There is no answer to the issues, just a place for people to feel morally superior.
    • gaving7095
    • By gaving7095 16th Oct 19, 6:52 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    gaving7095
    Oh you're new here, then? XD
    • gaving7095
    • By gaving7095 16th Oct 19, 6:54 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    gaving7095
    Go down in dead of night and completely empty it.
    Originally posted by JuliusCaesar
    LOL excellent :-)

Also, be sure to steal the towels & kettle from your room, along with the batteries from the TV remote.
    • hdknight88
    • By hdknight88 16th Oct 19, 7:22 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hdknight88
    Funny!

How many people would pick up a £1 coin if found outside?

I'm sure the vending machine suppliers will take into consideration these types of situations.

But, I suppose if I accidentally left my front door open, would I considered it theft if someone helped themselves to my stuff?
    • eao
    • By eao 16th Oct 19, 7:32 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    eao
    Tell them and pay the normal ie supermarket price for a single packet of crisps or other item. If they insisted on the regular machine price, give them back the item.
    If they insisted on giving me the item gratis i would refuse; i do not want to profit from people's mistakes...remember the golden rule.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,388Posts Today

6,179Users online

Martin's Twitter