Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mazzer13
    • By mazzer13 13th Oct 19, 9:00 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mazzer13
    Returning car after redundancy
    • 13th Oct 19, 9:00 PM
    Returning car after redundancy 13th Oct 19 at 9:00 PM
    Hi there, I was made redundant last week and my redundancy letter states I have to return the company car etc on of before the 20th of this month. The options they have given me is to take it to the head office (5 hours away) or a satellite office (3 hours drive away) Both are remote locations and there is no offer to help me get back home. The anxiety of going to any of the offices is weighing on my mind as I have no one who can pick me up from either location and I donít want to see any of my old colleagues. Itís it common that that one would have to return the car after they made me redundant spot should they be making provisions to retrieve the car? There is a ,local manager who I can drop the laptop and work phone off with but delivering the car back is just too much given the distance and no assistance to get back. I only git two weeks notice. Any help greatly appreciated!
Page 1
    • Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 13th Oct 19, 10:04 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    • 13th Oct 19, 10:04 PM
    • 13th Oct 19, 10:04 PM
    Get a taxi to the nearest train or bus station, or pay for a driver
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 13th Oct 19, 10:16 PM
    • 36,720 Posts
    • 47,393 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 13th Oct 19, 10:16 PM
    • 13th Oct 19, 10:16 PM
    National express or Megabus....
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 13th Oct 19, 10:19 PM
    • 36,720 Posts
    • 47,393 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 13th Oct 19, 10:19 PM
    • 13th Oct 19, 10:19 PM
    How long had worked for them
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 13th Oct 19, 11:57 PM
    • 3,876 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 13th Oct 19, 11:57 PM
    • 13th Oct 19, 11:57 PM
    Never make it easy do they, is there not an existing colleague to come and pick up the vehicle or drop it halfway in a central location.

Years ago I remember going in from Braintree's A120 to Loughton to be told within the hour of getting into work, we were being made redundant on a Monday morning, always kind of wondered why they didn't write to everyone recorded on the Saturday morning but that would have been to easy. After all they needed the parking fobs from us.
    Not leaving my 'childhood' Home without a fight
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 14th Oct 19, 1:03 AM
    • 3,264 Posts
    • 1,455 Thanks
    Xbigman
    • 14th Oct 19, 1:03 AM
    • 14th Oct 19, 1:03 AM
    What does your contract say? Just because a letter says its up to you to return the car it might not be. If it is up to you Its train bus or coach time.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • singhini
    • By singhini 14th Oct 19, 1:58 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    singhini
    • 14th Oct 19, 1:58 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 1:58 PM
    Ive previously worked at a company who operated in a very similar way (there was nothing specific in my contract saying I had to return the car. Only thing it mentioned is the car needs to be returned in the same condition that it was given to me and that £300 will be held back from my final salary to cover any damage and that this money will be returned upto 2 weeks post inspection of the car separately should no damage be found).
    What fleet Dpt would say is that if you were within a 3 hour drive you were required to return the car and only those people who were more than 3 hours away would get a one-way hire car back (I lived within 1 hour of head office). Anyhow I got lucky, when I was made redundant and was having my meeting with HR + my line manager I asked if they would kindly organise me one-way hire back home and my manager said yes because it was the company making me redundant). Fleet dpt then cross-charged the money against his annual budget.

Another colleague who was in a different sales team and who also was within 1 hour of head office had to arrange their own hire car and organised the hire company to collect him from head office and drive back to their depot and then drove home and the car was collected by the local car hire depot from his drive (think he paid £35).

Might be worth you speaking to your line manager or HR or fleet Dept (otherwise your going to need to organise a hire car / look into trains / other options.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 14th Oct 19, 4:22 PM
    • 4,697 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 14th Oct 19, 4:22 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 4:22 PM
    driiveme might be a option if your close to one of there rental locations
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 14th Oct 19, 6:25 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 602 Thanks
    Blatchford
    • 14th Oct 19, 6:25 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 6:25 PM
    If you hand the car over to anyone else and its damaged, then they will be perfectly entitled to come after you. Even if it isn't, how do you prove it wasn't. It really doesn't matter what other people might have done. Or even what you want you do. It would be very foolish to do anything other than what you have been told to and get a signed receipt that the car is ok.
    • blue.peter
    • By blue.peter 15th Oct 19, 8:16 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    blue.peter
    What were the arrangements when you received the car? Did you have to go to a distant place to collect it, or was it delivered to you? Might the company repeat that arrangement, whatever it was?

Have you tried talking to someone appropriate at the company to explain the problem and see if they'll compromise?

I'm wondering if the letter that you cite might be in a standard form that doesn't consider unusual siuations. It's possible that the letter just gives the standard requirement, and that the company might be willing to be a bit more reasonable in your case.

The only time I've ever been involved in a situation like this was many years ago, when I was a very junior member of staff in a branch office. My manager took me out to another town, from where I had to drive my former colleague's car back to the office. (The car in question was a Morris Marina, which'll give you some idea of the date!) Maybe something of this sort could be arranged for you?

If you have to see a solicitor to discuss the redundancy in general (e.g., for advice on a compromise agreement), it'd be worth raising this issue with them then.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Oct 19, 8:21 AM
    • 20,197 Posts
    • 51,443 Thanks
    elsien
    Why do you want to avoid your old colleagues? There's no shame in redundancy, just one of those things. Unless there's a bit more going on here.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • peterbaker
    • By peterbaker 15th Oct 19, 8:43 AM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 1,523 Thanks
    peterbaker
    Why do you want to avoid your old colleagues? There's no shame in redundancy, just one of those things. Unless there's a bit more going on here.
    Originally posted by elsien
    That surmise was unnecessary. Clearly you either have no sensitivity to others feelings, which makes me think your own capability as a business representative is questionable, or you've no experience of redundancy in the private sector except perhaps as someone dishing it out, again without much feeling.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Oct 19, 12:21 PM
    • 20,197 Posts
    • 51,443 Thanks
    elsien
    Ok, that may well not have been particularly well phrased, my apologies.

I have been through the redundancy process and I do know what it's like. I was coming at it from the angle thatl if any previous colleagues were able to help with a lift back somewhere more accessible it could make the return a lot easier for you. Because I didn't have an issue with my colleagues, just the managers around the decision making process. Which is why i asked - if you can get someone you had a halfway decent relationship to help out it might save some strife. That's all.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • blue.peter
    • By blue.peter 15th Oct 19, 1:05 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    blue.peter
    PS to my earlier thoughts:

Is the car owned by your employer, or leased in? If it's leased, does the leasing company have a depot relatively close to you to which you could return the car?

It's well worth talking to someone at the company and asking questions like this and my earlier ones. People you might try include:
    (a) whoever signed your redundancy letter;
    (b) your manager;
    (c) her or his manager;
    (d) whoever you're dealing with in the company's HR department.
    (Yes, I know that you said that "I donít want to see any of my old colleagues". I also realise that there might be some overlap here. I'm just trying to give you something to think over, and hope that this leads you to someone you're willing to talk to and might be able to help. If you're lucky, you might know somebody who'd be willing to lean on the fleet manager, or whoever matters in this context, a bit.)
    • cajef
    • By cajef 15th Oct 19, 1:06 PM
    • 5,103 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    cajef
    When I took a voluntary redundancy package my employer arranged for my company car to be picked up from my home a couple of days after I finished my employment with them.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 5th Nov 19, 1:37 AM
    • 632 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    My ex employer tried to say I had to return laptop etc 100's of miles away when I was made redundant, I decided it was their laptop and I should not have to pay the cost to return it or the risk associated so simply replied that the laptop would be available to be collected from my house, just let me know when so I can ensure I am in.

They arranged a colleague to collect.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 5th Nov 19, 7:28 AM
    • 10,711 Posts
    • 9,672 Thanks
    prowla
    My opinion is that I would tell them to collect the car, unless it specifically states it must be returned to them in your contract.
    It'd also be worth confirming that you are still insured to drive it.
    If it's a perk/benefit, then I thought redundancy law was that you keep it to the end of the redundancy. (But cross-check that, don't take my word for it.)
    Also, take photos of the car to ensure you have a record of its condition at the point of handover, so you don't get any follow up.
    (And don't forget to check all nooks & crannies for anything of yours there! I once left a not-cheap phone holder in a car I sold and only realised after it was gone.)
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 6th Nov 19, 8:40 AM
    • 4,080 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    Mistral001
    I assume that the company is paying for the fuel that it takes to drop it off at one of the places they have suggested. Have you asked them to pay for your train/bus fare also? If they will pay for the fuel, surely they will pay for a bus/train ticket
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

545Posts Today

5,099Users online

Martin's Twitter