Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Marcus
    • By MSE Marcus 7th Oct 19, 7:26 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 81Thanks
    MSE Marcus
    Forum Announcement
    • 7th Oct 19, 7:26 PM
    Forum Announcement 7th Oct 19 at 7:26 PM
    Dear MSE Forumites!

Im Marcus and Im the Editor-in-Chief at MoneySavingExpert.com.

I have some really important news to share with you and I hope you will all be as excited as we are here at MSE Towers.

MSE Forums began almost 17 years ago and has become one of the UKs biggest communities. Its a lively, active place to share everything from MoneySaving tips to the best slow-cooker recipes. Were incredibly proud of what you, the Forumites, have built, and see it as an invaluable part of our wider mission to help consumers.

For our regulars though, you will have noticed over the past few years that the bit we do the technology that supports our Forum - has been creaking at best, and completely broken at worst. Weve reached the stage where our present platform is simply unsustainable when it breaks, were not able to fix it.

We want your Forum to live for at least another 17 years.

So, weve made the big decision to significantly invest in a new platform which all of you will be moved across to. We aim to keep the best of the existing Forum, but tackle the frustrating bits that you tell us you dont like.

To be clear, some things will change. But staying as we are is not an option, and the alternative would be closing the MSE Forums which we have no intention of doing.

After many months of planning, research and an awful lot of meetings, weve found a new provider and work has started on the behind-the-scenes technology.

Your new platform will hopefully go live in early 2020. But in the meantime, we need your help! Were looking for a top team of Forumites to help us with the finishing touches, especially the look and feel of our new Forum. If youre interested in becoming a member (there may be a Badge!) of the Fab-Forumite Feature Testing Group, please let us know by registering your interest here

We realise some of you may feel apprehensive about all this. But closing the Forum simply wasnt an option to Martin, myself or the rest of MSE. That means, despite the challenges, were hoping you will embrace the new Forum.

As always, we welcome your constructive feedback and keep your eyes peeled for regular updates from me and the Forum Team over the coming weeks.

Marcus Herbert
    Editor-in-Chief, MoneySavingExpert.com
Page 2
    • rhialwencomp
    • By rhialwencomp 8th Oct 19, 12:10 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 13,915 Thanks
    rhialwencomp
    All I really care about is the tick/cross on the competitions board.

I'd like to keep the old green, but I assume that's not an option.
    • quoia
    • By quoia 8th Oct 19, 12:14 PM
    • 13,360 Posts
    • 141,854 Thanks
    quoia
    Ooh! Does this mean there will be the function to jump to the first unread posts in a thread?
    Originally posted by Spoonie Turtle
    Not sure which MSE world you are frequenting BUT this already exists - been doing it for as long as I can remember being a member (over 15 years)
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ()
    () Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
    • Morbier
    • By Morbier 8th Oct 19, 12:22 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    Morbier
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ensure we can still access the "old-style" forum! I'm too old and stupid to start learning from scratch ...
    Originally posted by MimiJane
    I'm not sure I'd agree with being too old to learn something new ... but that's another discussion .... but, as I said in my previous post, PLEASE have a section on how to use the new version - both for main PCs and tablets/phones.
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)
    • quoia
    • By quoia 8th Oct 19, 12:23 PM
    • 13,360 Posts
    • 141,854 Thanks
    quoia
    Please keep it accessible from a desktop & not gone to rubbish like some others have. We don't all have massively expensive mobiles this is MSE after all!
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Agreed.

I would estimate that over 95+% of my usage of MSE is "desktop" (OK actually a very old laptop) and only a tiny percentage on a tablet if I'm out and about.
    Think I've used a mobile to access just twice in "an emergency"
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ()
    () Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
    • MSE Tine
    • By MSE Tine 8th Oct 19, 12:33 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    MSE Tine
    Hi everyone!

Thank you for all the comments and questions so far. Please keep them coming and we will compile an FAQ with as many answers to your questions as we can and post it up nearer the weekend

MSE Tine
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • gm0
    • By gm0 8th Oct 19, 1:21 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    gm0
    It's clunky but it works but still no surprise that at some point forum software migration is needed.

Yet in no circumstances should you break the desktop browser UX by chasing mobile friendly web uber alles. For goodness sake don't even consider an "app only" approach. Any mobile web "improvement" for small touch screens should be invisible to the desktop user base (different channel/style sheets) or pass a "does it make it worse on the desktop - ah yes - then don't do it - test. Level up not down.

By all means pick and configure a platform that improves the desktop UI (less clunky) but don't lie to yourselves that making it "Mobile like" is in any way an improvement. It just isn't. Don't be "those" digital developers who think their one size fits all.

And while you are at it challenge the provider and make sure the new platform has a good modern take on accessibility requirements - screen readers etc and that the navigation design is not needlessly hostile to these users in pursuit of softer goals such as looking funky on a mobile which is *less* important than reaching the partially sighted users with MSE content and commentary.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 8th Oct 19, 2:10 PM
    • 5,168 Posts
    • 3,398 Thanks
    Robin9
    There are places where improvement is due eg Energy where you can post under Water, LPG, solid fuel but not Gas or Electric. No wonder new users get confused.

What needs improving behind the scenes I don't know but overall I don't think its too bad - but never use tablet or phone versions. And yes the GREEN version format please
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • kpwll
    • By kpwll 8th Oct 19, 2:56 PM
    • 3,803 Posts
    • 11,965 Thanks
    kpwll
    If the site becomes unfit/unable to use/access on a desk-top or laptop, I won't be buying a new, *larger tablet or using a smartphone just to access this site.

Some people have difficulties reading/viewing items on small screens.
    * Mine is 7" and is rarely used because of it.
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 8th Oct 19, 3:13 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    Not sure which MSE world you are frequenting BUT this already exists - been doing it for as long as I can remember being a member (over 15 years)
    Originally posted by quoia
    Not on the 'new' (blue) forum layout. Existing members were able to keep the old green style which had it, but the current blue one doesn't and as a recent member I don't have access to the green one. So, no 'jump to first unread post' for me and the myriad other more recent members.

Agree with these above who've asked for a guide how to use the site. I consider myself fairly tech-savvy but I still can't work out even basic things like multi-quote and I can't find a tech FAQ anywhere on here. The other forum I frequent (also vBulletin) has a couple of FAQs (one basic and one more in-depth) and a site support section, where members help each other out with the tech questions, no mods or admin privileges required.
    Last edited by Spoonie Turtle; 08-10-2019 at 3:16 PM.
    • kpwll
    • By kpwll 8th Oct 19, 3:27 PM
    • 3,803 Posts
    • 11,965 Thanks
    kpwll
    Not on the 'new' (blue) forum layout. Existing members were able to keep the old green style which had it, but the current blue one doesn't and as a recent member I don't have access to the green one. So, no 'jump to first unread post' for me and the myriad other more recent members.

Agree with these above who've asked for a guide how to use the site. I consider myself fairly tech-savvy but I still can't work out even basic things like multi-quote and I can't find a tech FAQ anywhere on here. The other forum I frequent (also vBulletin) has a couple of FAQs (one basic and one more in-depth) and a site support section, where members help each other out with the tech questions, no mods or admin privileges required.
    Originally posted by Spoonie Turtle
    If it's the same on the 'blue' version, for multi-quote click on the 'apostrophes' (next to the 'quote' button) for all the extra posts you want to include and the 'quote' button for the last post.
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 8th Oct 19, 3:48 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    If it's the same on the 'blue' version, for multi-quote click on the 'apostrophes' (next to the 'quote' button) for all the extra posts you want to include and the 'quote' button for the last post.
    Originally posted by kpwll
    It's not the same, but thanks, I tried that principle based on my other forum experiences
    There are two buttons, quote and multiquote. I assumed it was multi multi multi then quote - no.
    Multi multi multi? - nope
    Multi multi multi reply? - no ...
    Multi multi multi go advanced? - no

(I did try searching for it but still found nothing.)

Edit: I should add, I use the desktop site on my tablet.
    Last edited by Spoonie Turtle; 08-10-2019 at 3:52 PM.
    • pooch
    • By pooch 8th Oct 19, 3:54 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    pooch
    There are places where improvement is due eg Energy where you can post under Water, LPG, solid fuel but not Gas or Electric. No wonder new users get confused.

Originally posted by Robin9
    This site used to have a Gas & Electricity board, but it was renamed as the Energy board as part of the preparations for the latest and greatest forum skin.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4882648

Next you'll be expecting the return of the MSE Martin picture complete with his rabbit ears on for Easter!

Perhaps MSE should concentrate their efforts at getting the basics right, such as the correct current time in the UK!
    (as opposed to expecting all readers to have to create an account, sign in, and change the time zone in their user account, just to show the correct time )
    • G_M
    • By G_M 8th Oct 19, 3:58 PM
    • 50,493 Posts
    • 63,075 Thanks
    G_M
    I've not noticed many issues (using the old green version on a laptop with Firefox) though of course no idea about the IT behind it all.

But I agree more active Mod support is needed to weed out trolls. When doing so, time is needed to review whole threads and/or postig history, not just individual posts. That means more human resource.
    • pooch
    • By pooch 8th Oct 19, 4:37 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    pooch
    With all the calls for a general return to the old green style board, I wonder if MSE Martin has concluded yet that, despite allowed time (almost 5 years now) some of us still don't approve of the change to the new blue style?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=68027616&postcount=121

However, these were the reasons put forward at the time for the new style:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5224895

The difficulty now is with yet a new forum design, does MSE move further forwards with their design, or do they return to the forum design that, from the comments above, so many MSE users obviously still adore.

As for this latest proposed update, whilst I see that the MSE says "we welcome your constructive feedback", will anyone actually listen this time? (because they certainly didn't last time*)

* - it's not just me saying this now, here is a comment by one of the BG's from back in 2015 about the redesign, and the feedback given then
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69198458&postcount=5
    Last edited by pooch; 08-10-2019 at 4:57 PM.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 8th Oct 19, 4:38 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 2,922 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Looking forward to a shiny new platform
    Originally posted by Misslayed
    Please, no, anything but this

Please, it needs to be functional addressing the requirements of the users. Please, never form over function. I've seen too many sites go this way.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • Dan29
    • By Dan29 8th Oct 19, 5:39 PM
    • 4,510 Posts
    • 4,079 Thanks
    Dan29
    All I really care about is the tick/cross on the competitions board.
    Originally posted by rhialwencomp
    Could we please have the ability to view the competitions board by threads ticked, threads crossed or threads with neither?
    • LHW99
    • By LHW99 8th Oct 19, 6:19 PM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 2,140 Thanks
    LHW99
    Some sub-forums, eg Autoenrollment on the Pensions board are not well visited, and requests have been made to amalgamate that board with the main Pensions one - to no effect.
    Is it necessary to have "sub-forums" rather than additional main forums for popular topic types.
    And here's plus 1 vote to keep the older green layout for PC - it shows what you need without being distracting (its not entirely the colour, more what is presented and how).
    • gaydrianmole
    • By gaydrianmole 8th Oct 19, 7:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gaydrianmole
    The difficulty now is with yet a new forum design, does MSE move further forwards with their design, or do they return to the forum design that, from the comments above, so many MSE users obviously still adore.
    Originally posted by pooch
    Or do they go hot pink and really twist your melon, man?
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 8th Oct 19, 7:17 PM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 6,102 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Xenforo hopefully!
    • msdoc
    • By msdoc 8th Oct 19, 9:40 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    msdoc
    I’ve never experienced any issues with the forums however I do agree they need a slight update. I’m mainly a phone user for the site, I think for the competitions thread in particular the ability to mark if you’ve read a thread, also to be able to attach an end date to the thread ( instead of just in title ) which then automatically changes it to finished. This will help with searching for threads and maintain the comp boards tidyness! X
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,272Posts Today

5,377Users online

Martin's Twitter