Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tine
    • By MSE Tine 7th Oct 19, 7:18 PM
    • 196Posts
    • 444Thanks
    MSE Tine
    Want to join our "Fab Forumite Feature Testing Group"?
    • 7th Oct 19, 7:18 PM
    Want to join our "Fab Forumite Feature Testing Group"? 7th Oct 19 at 7:18 PM
    We have some big news for MSE Forumites! You've been telling us for ages the Forum is broken and not working, so we're doing something about it. In early 2020 our lively moneysaving community is moving to a new shiny platform To find out more about what this means for you, have a read of this message from our Editor in Chief.

We want to make the new Forum as brilliant as possible for all our users, so this is where we need your help.

We’d like some of you to become a part of our Fab Forumite Feature Testing Group – you will be asked to give the MSE Team loads of honest and constructive feedback on the new platform over the next few months while it’s being designed and built. We’d really appreciate having a broad spectrum of MoneySavers involved with this monumental development.

If you’re interested in getting involved, please fill out this short survey and if you’re selected, we’ll be in touch!

In the meantime, if you would like to share any helpful thoughts or concerns at this stage, please leave your comments here – they will all be read and taken on board – even if we can’t reply to them all.

Thanks all!

MSE Tine
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 07-10-2019 at 7:28 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Oct 19, 10:14 AM
    • 10,335 Posts
    • 13,240 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I filled in the survey but didn't even get an acknowledgement email. That's bad UX design for a start...
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 13th Oct 19, 2:27 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 4,638 Thanks
    badmemory
    I don't feel I know enough about this sort of thing, but please to those who are helping with this, please remember that there are quite a few of us on here that are less than young (eyesight issues) & also less than tech savvy. (Not pensions related in this case but) your future self will thank you!!
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 14th Oct 19, 10:54 AM
    • 65,891 Posts
    • 58,018 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I'm in..................
    ““there really is no such thing as ‘the future’, singular. There are only multiple, unforeseeable futures, which will never lose their capacity to take us by surprise.””
    ― Niall Ferguson
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 14th Oct 19, 8:14 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles

• MSE Tine
    • By MSE Tine 15th Oct 19, 9:00 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    MSE Tine
    Thanks everyone - we will be contacting everyone this week to let you know what's coming

For those not sure if they are techie enough to join - we need a cross section of users Including those who don't feel they are particularly tech savvy. In order to make this as welcoming to as many of our existing and new users as possible it's important to hear from everyone

So please do join the group!

Thank you

MSE Tine

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 15th Oct 19, 9:38 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 1,031 Thanks
    vacheron
    I'm happy to help. I used to be a moderator of a couple of fairly large (10-20K registered users) Vbulletin forums a few years ago, so know my way around most of the existing and admin features for comparison.

PS. I still exclusively use the old style layout. Really not a fan of the newer layout, so hopefully some of the original heritage will remain in the new version!
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 15th Oct 19, 12:04 PM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    I'd be happy to help (I'd rather not have a badge for it though lol! Teachers pet springs to mind haha!)
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
    • MSE Tine
    • By MSE Tine 15th Oct 19, 12:19 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    MSE Tine
    I'd be happy to help (I'd rather not have a badge for it though lol! Teachers pet springs to mind haha!)
    Originally posted by Gordon the Moron
    Badges are entirely optional

Join the MSE Forum
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 15th Oct 19, 1:29 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    Exemplar
    I'm in 100%
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
    • Henry-Root
    • By Henry-Root 16th Oct 19, 12:27 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Henry-Root
    I'm in! As a user for over 15 years I'd be glad to help.
    If a job needs doing, do it
    • Henry-Root
    • By Henry-Root 16th Oct 19, 12:30 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Henry-Root
    Yes. Bung me on the list if it's not too late. Been using the forum for over 10 years.
    If a job needs doing, do it
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 16th Oct 19, 11:24 AM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 5,403 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    I'll give it a go
    • george4064
    • By george4064 17th Oct 19, 1:45 PM
    • 1,387 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    george4064
    Great initiative.

Submitted my survey response.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2017 - #003 £12,427.51 (104%)
    Save £12k in 2018 - #004 £9,165.94 (46%)
    Save £12k in 2019 - #007 £11,332.36 (94%)
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 18th Oct 19, 1:13 AM
    • 303 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    I responded in the survey that I use the green skin but I have used the blue when I first came here! I wish the question had allowed for some kind of 'both' answer because at the moment I've still spent longer on the blue than the green.
    • The frugal fairy
    • By The frugal fairy 18th Oct 19, 2:12 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    The frugal fairy
    Yes please
    • elsiepac
    • By elsiepac 18th Oct 19, 4:43 PM
    • 1,800 Posts
    • 12,960 Thanks
    elsiepac
    Would love to help out! Whilst I'm loyal to the forums, they really could do with an update and becoming more usable! Another one here who uses both skins so couldn't answer the survey 100% honestly - the blue is more readable day to day but the green is needed for certain features around thread manipulation!!

Things I'd love to see:
    • Ability to use tables/table tags
    • A far larger editing pane in the Advanced screen (fine to have a small one within the thread for quick responses)
    • Better editing options, even if only for Board Guides - the system is so clunky for what should be quick tasks, much better to have some kind of GUI interface rather than all the tags;whilst I'm fine with them, some older generation or less tech savvy people do occasionally struggle with them, so either an editor that allows visual formatting (think Notepad++ style) or that at least makes tags bold to help them stand out, or as complete GUI interface with option to revert to tags in an advanced screen
    • A better way to include pictures, whether it's hosting an image server or what, I don't know, but it's a pain right now and very outdated when you see how easy it is on other, newer, social media
    • Emojis/text colour boxes - on some screens/platforms the menu for them disappears up to the top of the screen for some reason which is annoying at best... also veeeeeery dated looking! (but they are quite unique so that's nice!)

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more I've thought of and didn't keep a note of!

Last edited by elsiepac; 18-10-2019 at 5:05 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Jan 20 £tbc/£250
    Vegan 27-8-13
    • MSE Tine
    • By MSE Tine 18th Oct 19, 4:54 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    MSE Tine
    Thanks everyone! We've decided to leave the option to join open till this Sunday evening and then we'll go through everything first thing next week
    Please make sure if you haven't signed up using the form that you do so before Sunday!

Join the MSE Forum
    • Podzilla
    • By Podzilla 18th Oct 19, 5:51 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Podzilla
    Me me me me!
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 18th Oct 19, 5:54 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    I've just realised I put the wrong username in my survey response thanks brainfog. I don't know if a MusicalTurtle already exists on this forum ...
    • MSE Tine
    • By MSE Tine 18th Oct 19, 8:19 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    MSE Tine
    I've just realised I put the wrong username in my survey response thanks brainfog. I don't know if a MusicalTurtle already exists on this forum ...
    Originally posted by Spoonie Turtle
    Oh dear hahahaha
    Don’t worry I’ll keep and eye out and get the techies to correct yours

Join the MSE Forum
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,298Posts Today

6,927Users online

Martin's Twitter