Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 20th Sep 19, 9:45 AM
    • 622Posts
    • 197Thanks
    MSE Callum
    21 WOW
    Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News
    • 20th Sep 19, 9:45 AM
    21 WOW
    Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News 20th Sep 19 at 9:45 AM
    Holiday firm Thomas Cook has confirmed that it is seeking 200 million in extra funding as it attempts to prevent a collapse...
    Read the full story:
    'Thomas Cook worries? Here's what you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Nick R; 03-10-2019 at 4:29 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 24
    • juangarcia
    • By juangarcia 5th Nov 19, 4:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    juangarcia
    Hi,

I'm assuming that if TC do go under then so will their subsidiaries?

I've got a Disneyland Paris trip booked for my son and I leaving on January 1st. It was booked through MagicBreaks. The ATOL certificate is in the name Freedom Luggage Travel Group Ltd, which is all part of TC.
    I'm not concerned about getting my money back, ATOL will cover that. I haven't told my son about the trip yet, I was going to surprise him on his birthday at the end of December so he won't be disappointed if it does get cancelled.

Just a shame for all the staff if the worst happens.
    Originally posted by Castmember
    I had the same problem.

Finally, I had finded other companies for organizated my trip.

Good luck
    Last edited by juangarcia; 05-11-2019 at 4:53 PM. Reason: Add information
    I'm a fan of the travels around the world
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 6th Nov 19, 9:44 PM
    • 27,729 Posts
    • 118,046 Thanks
    candygirl
    Got my money back today, plus interest.Roll on Goa
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 6th Nov 19, 9:53 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Got my money back today, plus interest.Roll on Goa
    Originally posted by candygirl
    How did you pay for the holiday? Debit card or direct debit? And if debit card when did you apply for the refund?
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 7th Nov 19, 1:21 AM
    • 27,729 Posts
    • 118,046 Thanks
    candygirl
    How did you pay for the holiday? Debit card or direct debit? And if debit card when did you apply for the refund?
    Originally posted by bobblebob
    Credit card, but it was a flight only, n no ATOL protection.So relieved as it's my spends now, for my hols in 2 weeks 😁 I applied the day TC went under

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 7th Nov 19, 11:05 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Ah you applied via your credit card provider. Thought you had applied via the ATOL refund website
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 7th Nov 19, 1:15 PM
    • 27,729 Posts
    • 118,046 Thanks
    candygirl
    Ah you applied via your credit card provider. Thought you had applied via the ATOL refund website
    Originally posted by bobblebob
    Noooo.They did a charge back, so I didn't have to faff around with forms etc

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Chezzer0809
    • By Chezzer0809 8th Nov 19, 9:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chezzer0809
    Has anybody been successful in getting a refund through Halifax credit card for non ATOL protected flights? Have chased and tweeted now it's passed the 45 days quoted for a resolution and not getting any updates. They asked me a few weeks ago for proof that Thomas Cook had gone bust to progress the claim!!
    • purcel
    • By purcel 13th Nov 19, 7:00 AM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 16,483 Thanks
    purcel
    Put a Thomas Cook ATOL claim on the 9th October. Email received last night confirming my claim has been processed and a full refund will be paid into my bank account within 48 h.

Hopefully everyone else will get their refunds soon

Refund now received
    Last edited by purcel; 19-11-2019 at 6:59 PM.
    • Kernow666
    • By Kernow666 13th Nov 19, 9:46 AM
    • 3,383 Posts
    • 3,134 Thanks
    Kernow666
    poor old Simon Calder ( the go to guy on anything travel related ) hasn't had a refund either , he was banging on about it on twitter

time to start a crowdfunder I think
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 13th Nov 19, 10:34 AM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 1,711 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    Simon Calder has written an article in this morning's Independent reporting that over 200 people have contacted him to say they have had no refund from the CAA despite their assurance that claims would be paid by the beginning of December. He booked the day before failure to test the system and it appears to be failing at present, I doubt he is worried about his own refund
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 13th Nov 19, 10:36 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Simon Calder has written an article in this morning's Independent reporting that over 200 people have contacted him to say they have had no refund from the CAA despite their assurance that claims would be paid by the beginning of December. He booked the day before failure to test the system and it appears to be failing at present, I doubt he is worried about his own refund
    Originally posted by Alan Bowen
    Well the last time I looked at the calendar, it said the 13th November. So why is this even an issue yet? Pathetic journalism.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Nov 19, 1:51 PM
    • 35,766 Posts
    • 41,942 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Interesting article in the independent

Claims the refund target of 60 days cannot be made and suspects no ATOL refund have been made yet

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/thomas-cook-collapse-latest-refund-civil-aviation-authority-holiday-debit-credit-card-a9199961.html
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 13th Nov 19, 1:52 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Interesting article in the independent

Claims the refund target of 60 days cannot be made and suspects no ATOL refund have been made yet

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/thomas-cook-collapse-latest-refund-civil-aviation-authority-holiday-debit-credit-card-a9199961.html
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Sure I saw someone on Twitter say they had theirs, so thats a load of old crap as well

EDIT - hmm is it the same article reference earlier today?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Nov 19, 2:37 PM
    • 35,766 Posts
    • 41,942 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Yes , appears to be that article
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 13th Nov 19, 3:17 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Well the last time I looked at the calendar, it said the 13th November. So why is this even an issue yet? Pathetic journalism.
    Originally posted by bradders1983

The idea being for them to meet that target of December, refunds should have started to be issued already. Looks like little to none have so far
    • thecoffeehouse204
    • By thecoffeehouse204 14th Nov 19, 9:37 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    thecoffeehouse204
    Just logged into my online banking to discover my refund has been paid today , shows up as a credit by Rightpath insurance, made my ATOL claim on the 7th October. Thought it was odd I've had no communication but found an email in my junk folder from Tuesday to say it had been processed. Had only paid a deposit to TC so wasn't as large amount as some so maybe was fairly easy to deal with.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 15th Nov 19, 7:23 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    bobblebob
    I applied on the 7th but still not heard anything
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 15th Nov 19, 11:42 AM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 1,711 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    The CAA has confirmed they still intend to meet the 60 days deadline for refunds, but it is 60 days from the day you submitted the claim. There are two claims handlers dealing with some 350,000 claims. plus quite a few fraudulent ones apparently, and the money will be refunded automatically except where the information you provided does not agree with TC's own records
    • RS2OOO
    • By RS2OOO 16th Nov 19, 5:40 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    RS2OOO
    At 19:01 last night (Friday 15th) I received an email from ProtectClaims asking for statement evidence of all payments to Thomas Cook (all of which I can't provide as most was paid on vouchers) and asking for receipt confirming payment of the Atol protection, plus a copy of the booking confirmation.

My claim was submitted on 7th October.

I still do not know of anyone in person who paid by means other than Direct Debit and has received their refund from CAA.

Edit: Just received a read receipt for the email providing all the above requested information - 6pm on a Saturday!
    Last edited by RS2OOO; 16-11-2019 at 6:02 PM. Reason: Added further info.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 17th Nov 19, 9:28 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Are you sure that email is legit? Thats the problem when different companies are dealing with our claims. There asking people to send all sorts of evidence off and no one really knows if its legit or not
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,430Posts Today

7,020Users online

Martin's Twitter