Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Not tight just careful
    • By Not tight just careful 27th Aug 19, 10:34 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Not tight just careful
    0 WOW
    Time-frame for compensation & expenses claims with British Airways for delayed or cancelled flights
    • 27th Aug 19, 10:34 PM
    0 WOW
    Time-frame for compensation & expenses claims with British Airways for delayed or cancelled flights 27th Aug 19 at 10:34 PM
    Hi all,

Never experienced this before but we were affected by the IT, customer booking system issues which B.A had on 7/8/19.

We had our flight from Heathrow to Mallorca cancelled by B.A whilst we were air-side and only had 50 mins before we were due to fly. Flights were rearranged for the next day with air Iberia (albeit 2 flights, first to Madrid and then to Palma) meaning we had to have a night in a hotel (2 x rooms as we were a party of 4 with 3 adults)

We of course kept all of our receipts for expenses and these were electronically submitted to B.A via the customer claims area of the website nearly 2 weeks ago.
    I initially I received an automated response with a claims reference but since then nothing!

Does anyone know how long these claims take to process and resolve? I know it has not too long has passed since submitting but I do have £550 of associated expense fees on my credit card which will require settling very soon. I guess B.A have a lot of claims outstanding so must be very busy but was just wondering what other peoples experiences with claiming were like and the time-frames involved?
    Cheers
Page 1
    • Westin
    • By Westin 28th Aug 19, 7:23 AM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 1,544 Thanks
    Westin
    • 28th Aug 19, 7:23 AM
    • 28th Aug 19, 7:23 AM
    Unfortunately, in the world of an airline/travel operator, hardly anytime has passed between your claim and today.

Typically I would say allow about 28 working days.

With I expect backlog from BA’s multiple mess ups, general poor management, over stretched BA staff, outsourcing to the cheapest provider of many sub functions and the news of upcoming pilot strikes, it could be longer.
    • Diddidi
    • By Diddidi 28th Aug 19, 9:11 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Diddidi
    • 28th Aug 19, 9:11 PM
    • 28th Aug 19, 9:11 PM
    Iím still waiting for a response from them for a delayed flight of 18 hours from mid July. Like you, I submitted receipts etc and had a confirmation number and then, radio silence. After one month had passed, I sent a chasing email. I will repeat at monthly intervals until someone responds eventually. Other airlines have paid up within about 3 weeks. As you say, BA have been a little busy recently
    • Not tight just careful
    • By Not tight just careful 1st Oct 19, 9:22 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Not tight just careful
    • 1st Oct 19, 9:22 AM
    • 1st Oct 19, 9:22 AM
    Now nearly 2 months in on this and not a word from the airline!
    Very poor really considering i had to pay over £500 of my own money out back in August to stay in London overnight due to the cancellation!
    • Westin
    • By Westin 1st Oct 19, 12:07 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 1,544 Thanks
    Westin
    • 1st Oct 19, 12:07 PM
    • 1st Oct 19, 12:07 PM
    If you have not even had an acknowledgement from the airline I would check that you completed the online claim form correctly and if necessary think about repeating the process again.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 1st Oct 19, 10:08 PM
    • 3,964 Posts
    • 2,472 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 1st Oct 19, 10:08 PM
    • 1st Oct 19, 10:08 PM
    Does anyone know how long these claims take to process and resolve?
    Originally posted by Not tight just careful

With BA, quickest for me was less than a week, longest was 6 weeks.
    • Not tight just careful
    • By Not tight just careful 4th Oct 19, 10:58 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Not tight just careful
    • 4th Oct 19, 10:58 AM
    • 4th Oct 19, 10:58 AM
    I was issued with a claims number from the get-go so it seems all is in-hand so to speak.
    Not a great scenario when you have shelled-out over £550 of your own money 2 months ago for hotels rooms etc and the airline are clearly in not hurry to reimburse.
    We are fortunate enough to be in a situation where the financial displacement does not sting too much but this will not be the same for all travellers and claimants I'm sure!

Whilst I do very much appreciate there will be a lot of active claim cases with the airline at the moment, I think the time-frame to respond and action is appalling!
    • Not tight just careful
    • By Not tight just careful 22nd Oct 19, 10:04 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Not tight just careful
    • 22nd Oct 19, 10:04 AM
    Still not a Dickie Bird!
    • 22nd Oct 19, 10:04 AM
    Beyond a joke really!

What are the experiences of others?
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 22nd Oct 19, 2:37 PM
    • 39,632 Posts
    • 163,781 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 22nd Oct 19, 2:37 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 2:37 PM
    Send them a DM on twitter, they usually respond quickly.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 23rd Oct 19, 4:41 PM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    Archergirl
    Now nearly 2 months in on this and not a word from the airline!
    Very poor really considering i had to pay over £500 of my own money out back in August to stay in London overnight due to the cancellation!
    £500 for one night!!!
    We were affected by the IT problems in Aug, had our flight re scheduled we had our compensation 23rd Sept
    • Not tight just careful
    • By Not tight just careful 28th Oct 19, 12:31 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Not tight just careful
    silvercar-Send them a DM on twitter, they usually respond quickly.
    Messaged them through Instagram over a month ago and they have never even viewed the message!
    • Not tight just careful
    • By Not tight just careful 28th Oct 19, 12:33 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Not tight just careful
    £500 for one night!!!
    We were affected by the IT problems in Aug, had our flight re scheduled we had our compensation 23rd Sept
    Originally posted by Archergirl
    4X persons, 2 X hotel rooms at the Hilton with meals- Soon adds up!
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 28th Oct 19, 12:50 PM
    • 3,964 Posts
    • 2,472 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Messaged them through Instagram over a month ago and they have never even viewed the message!

Have no experience with Instagram but have received quick responses on Twitter every time I've used it. Mind you, the standard response when chasing up on claims is that the claim is still being looked at and to be patient. Alternatively give them a call for an update and/or a timeline.
    • Not tight just careful
    • By Not tight just careful 28th Oct 19, 3:40 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Not tight just careful
    Have no experience with Instagram but have received quick responses on Twitter every time I've used it. Mind you, the standard response when chasing up on claims is that the claim is still being looked at and to be patient. Alternatively give them a call for an update and/or a timeline.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    I will try signing up for Twiter just for this reason (it's worth a go i guess)
    I'd deary love to be in receipt of a telephone number so that I can contact the claims handlers directly but one has never been supplied (not surprisingly) or found, despite trawling the web!
    • Not tight just careful
    • By Not tight just careful 12th Nov 19, 9:22 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Not tight just careful
    Just as an update to this...

Finally received a response agreeing to the compo but with a massively reduced level of expenses (which even fall far-short of covering the hotel for the night so will be fighting this)

Was promised payments to my bank account have been set-up but 14 days and 3 emails later, no response and no money!

I do believe my days of being a loyal customer of British Airways are done!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,963Posts Today

8,111Users online

Martin's Twitter