Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,675Posts
    • 28,901Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 594
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 13th Nov 19, 6:35 PM
    • 7,633 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    The volume on the adverts on the Microsoft Solitaire games, bad enough that the ads kick in every half a dozen games but in spite of having the volume turned off for the games it still blares out even before the ad starts and it is then a fumble for the mute switch before the bland music wakes up Dad
    Originally posted by duncanthedog
    I'm playing a word game on the android tablet at the moment. Blasted confounded adverts even if you pause the game, and some of them are for the Labour Party!!!!!

But my real reason for coming here, is yet again the fiasco of Freeview retuning.
    Turn on the TV. . ."New channels have been found. . ."
    SO I have to retune the TV, then manually tune the PVR, because if I use Auto tune it finds some weird duplicate channels, and that mucks up series recording etc.
    And then I have to reinstall all the scheduling, which is a complete PITA, because I'm running custom firmware to do that, and it can only be accessed through a web browser. And the wi-fi connection to that works when it feels like it.

Why the *(&*&*^&^ can't they leave the channels where they are?
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 13th Nov 19, 6:46 PM
    • 3,587 Posts
    • 6,601 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    Ha yes, in Olden Times you didn't need to adjust your channels from one decade to the next!
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 13th Nov 19, 6:49 PM
    • 3,587 Posts
    • 6,601 Thanks
    coffeehound
    People that go to work with a coffee in their hands. Why not get up 10 mins earlier and have coffee at home and which is not prone to be knocked about by commuters.
    Originally posted by od244051
    That would be missing the point: it's a Lifestyle Choice
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 13th Nov 19, 9:58 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 5,142 Thanks
    Marvel1
    Internet speed is 0.25Mbps = cannot watch TV.
    • Sheel
    • By Sheel 13th Nov 19, 11:22 PM
    • 44,957 Posts
    • 40,448 Thanks
    Sheel
    Nothing now that i've taken my bra off.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 14th Nov 19, 8:16 AM
    • 56,051 Posts
    • 154,303 Thanks
    colinw
    I'm playing a word game on the android tablet at the moment. Blasted confounded adverts even if you pause the game, and some of them are for the Labour Party!!!!!

But my real reason for coming here, is yet again the fiasco of Freeview retuning.
    Turn on the TV. . ."New channels have been found. . ."
    SO I have to retune the TV, then manually tune the PVR, because if I use Auto tune it finds some weird duplicate channels, and that mucks up series recording etc.
    And then I have to reinstall all the scheduling, which is a complete PITA, because I'm running custom firmware to do that, and it can only be accessed through a web browser. And the wi-fi connection to that works when it feels like it.

Thought I sorted all this yesterday by re-tuning everything but no, turned the TV on this morning and they are asking for another re-tune, like you I wish they would leave it alone, we lose a few channels up here as well all in the name of freeing up bandwidth so people can watch cat videos faster on their mobiles
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 14th Nov 19, 8:35 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    Nothing now that i've taken my bra off.
    Originally posted by Sheel
    You live in a world that I know nothing of
    • colinw
    • By colinw 14th Nov 19, 9:29 AM
    • 56,051 Posts
    • 154,303 Thanks
    colinw
    You live in a world that I know nothing of
    Originally posted by duncanthedog
    I think it is OK for blokes to wear bra's these days
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 14th Nov 19, 9:40 AM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 15,928 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Originally posted by colinw
    There are plenty of clubs where it's very common - or so TimeOut would have you believe...

Dogs wearing bras is a bit more niche I suspect
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    • colinw
    • By colinw 14th Nov 19, 9:41 AM
    • 56,051 Posts
    • 154,303 Thanks
    colinw
    There are plenty of clubs where it's very common - or so TimeOut would have you believe...

Dogs wearing bras is a bit more niche I suspect
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    Oh yes I was replying to a dog could carry his bones in one I suppose, use it as a sling shot to get the squirrels
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 14th Nov 19, 11:14 AM
    • 7,633 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Thought I sorted all this yesterday by re-tuning everything but no, turned the TV on this morning and they are asking for another re-tune, like you I wish they would leave it alone, we lose a few channels up here as well all in the name of freeing up bandwidth so people can watch cat videos faster on their mobiles
    I ended up leaving the PVR, at least until we can't get something we want.
    The telly comes up with the "retune" message. That works OK on auto retune though.

The wi-fi to the PVR relies on a usb dongle. Has to be just the right type, and even then it has a mind of it's own.
    PVR must be getting on for 7 years old though.
    This one, a Humax, you can run alternative firmware on, which has various advantages.
    People also seem to like them better than the newer model.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 14th Nov 19, 12:47 PM
    • 4,867 Posts
    • 7,902 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    “ Why the *(&*&*^&^ can't they leave the channels where they are?
    Our lovely elderly neighbour doesn't believe in buying new when the old still works. Fair enough, but her tv aerial just doesn't seem to be strong enough to cope with a re-tune.

Every time she 'loses' her favourite channels, Mr S has to lug her tv over the road to our house, re-tune it using our aerial, then lug it back and re-connect it.

He's suggested that she replace her aerial, but she just says there's no need because the one she has still works !
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 14th Nov 19, 1:29 PM
    • 7,633 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Our lovely elderly neighbour doesn't believe in buying new when the old still works. Fair enough, but her tv aerial just doesn't seem to be strong enough to cope with a re-tune.

Every time she 'loses' her favourite channels, Mr S has to lug her tv over the road to our house, re-tune it using our aerial, then lug it back and re-connect it.

He's suggested that she replace her aerial, but she just says there's no need because the one she has still works !
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    They've been weakening the transmitter signals for ages I believe, mostly to (as Col says above) allow people to watch cat videos on their phones.

Let's admit it, the good old TV aerial is more or less a thing of the past.
    I'm seriously wondering about getting a Freesat aerial and PVR when I change this present PVR. More and more content comes from the internet.

The tech is there to make it all work well, but the infrastructure isn't upgrading as quickly as the tech is moving.

And there's always a cost!
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 14th Nov 19, 3:35 PM
    • 7,633 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Will this blasted bad weather ever end?
    It feels as if apart from a couple of days it's been raining and blowing since September!
    It's all the fault of the weather people on the telly!
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 14th Nov 19, 6:10 PM
    • 3,496 Posts
    • 5,003 Thanks
    ceredigion
    It is Thursday would of sworn it was Wednesday. I've lost a day can I have it back please.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 14th Nov 19, 6:13 PM
    • 19,054 Posts
    • 41,038 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Not sure exactly where I would wear it ....

Like a Jock Strap I suppose?
    Weekly Distance Walked 26 km / Total For Year 1361 km

Quod scripsi, scripsi
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 14th Nov 19, 6:30 PM
    • 7,633 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    It is Thursday would of sworn it was Wednesday. I've lost a day can I have it back please.
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    No.

(I'm always doing that! )
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 14th Nov 19, 6:31 PM
    • 7,633 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Not sure exactly where I would wear it ....

Like a Jock Strap I suppose?
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    No Sleazy mate. No . . .
    I've got this b****y horrible image in my head now. . .
    • tealady
    • By tealady 14th Nov 19, 7:59 PM
    • 3,202 Posts
    • 4,243 Thanks
    tealady
    No Sleazy mate. No . . .
    I've got this b****y horrible image in my head now. . .
    I suppose you could pretend you are auditioning for the next RuPauls Drag Race
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th Nov 19, 10:20 AM
    • 56,051 Posts
    • 154,303 Thanks
    colinw
    Me! walking in front of a bus yesterday it is the sort of thing I criticise other people for, I still don't know how I ended up doing it, the bus was slowing so assumed it was stopping for light and I thought I glanced at the far light and saw red, but obviously not, bus driver was not amused surprisingly
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,054Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter