Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Steve
    • By MSE Steve 24th Jun 16, 9:31 AM
    • 78Posts
    • 29Thanks
    MSE Steve
    MSE News: Martin's reaction to Brexit
    • 24th Jun 16, 9:31 AM
    MSE News: Martin's reaction to Brexit 24th Jun 16 at 9:31 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com founder Martin Lewis has posted a short homemade video with his initial reaction to the referendum result...
    Read the full story:
    'Martin's reaction to Brexit Ė what will it mean for the economy, mortgages, savings and more?'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 24-06-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Page 6
    • Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 1st Jul 16, 8:27 AM
    • 352 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    What an interesting article, thank you. I didn't realise that the figure was so high, with this in mind the benefit migrant workers bring is questionable to say the least. There is nothing xenophobic in your post, I have ethnic minority friends who voted.
    Originally posted by Bloomberg

So after these EU immigrants paid all their taxes and NI contribution, rent, food etc, they send their saving to their home countries to support their family means that they do not benefit the economy?
    Sorry to break it to you but I had a friend working for Western Union few years back who told me that many British Citizens of Asian and African origin do just that, send money regularly to the country where the family were from. You must know that there are many west Africans mums that had babies here until the Tatcher reform so that the babies could get British citizenship at birth, went back home and later the kids have returned to live here (now sending money back).
    Oh, and let's talk about how the very large number of British Retired Expats that have basically moved almost at once all their life saving and investment to Spain, Greece, Cyprus, Italy and Portugal and still get the entirety of their Pension spent there...
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 1st Jul 16, 2:38 PM
    • 10,957 Posts
    • 8,965 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    I know a guy who's working in Dubai for years and sends money back to wife+kids in the UK. It's happening the world over and is perfectly normal and natural.

If Dubai had all the financial controllers they needed, and the UK the engineers our companies require, etc., then it wouldn't happen, but you'll always get imbalances.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • jamesd
    • By jamesd 1st Jul 16, 11:42 PM
    • 23,514 Posts
    • 15,841 Thanks
    jamesd
    Hi, both my parents are Irish born in Ireland therefore I am classed as an Irish citizen even though I was born in England. They both hold an Irish passport though I hold a British one. I am considering applying for my Irish passport to maintain EU membership. Do you think I am eligible and will I be able to apply for an Irish passport for my children? Plus my husband whos parents are both English, will he be able to apply for an Irish passport as we're married?
    Originally posted by bells on it
    Yes for you, one grandparent born in Ireland or an Irish citizen parent is sufficient, not sure about your husband. The Irish consulate in London has asked for people not to make applications at the moment because of extremely high demand that they can't keep up with. There's plenty of time so you can afford to give them a few months to gear up for the load. There's a FAQ from them for people who are interested in doing this, well worth a read.

UK citizens also have the right to move to Ireland if they want to, without the restrictions that apply to EU nationals, with similar rights for Irish citizens in the UK. As a British citizen you'd be eligible to health care and social benefits, just like an Irish citizen.

The Irish government has said that they plan to try to continue this special relationship for British citizens. What this would normally mean is that even a person with no Irish ancestry could move to the Republic of Ireland and become a permanent resident after five years, obtaining Irish and hence EU citizenship that way.
    Last edited by jamesd; 01-07-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

2,005Users online

Martin's Twitter