Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Steve
    • By MSE Steve 24th Jun 16, 9:31 AM
    • 78Posts
    • 29Thanks
    MSE Steve
    MSE News: Martin's reaction to Brexit
    • 24th Jun 16, 9:31 AM
    MSE News: Martin's reaction to Brexit 24th Jun 16 at 9:31 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com founder Martin Lewis has posted a short homemade video with his initial reaction to the referendum result...
    Read the full story:
    'Martin's reaction to Brexit Ė what will it mean for the economy, mortgages, savings and more?'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 24-06-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Page 2
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 24th Jun 16, 12:38 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 3,792 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    I know it's a big concern to you but to the vast majority of the UK population it's a side issue that won't be given any priority and will eventually be dealt with at some point in the exit negotiations. No help to you, and you'll be living with uncertainty for quite a while, but the rest of us have more pressing concerns to worry about.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I'm British, born and bred, and it is a major concern to me. Why? Well my doctor and dentist are both immigrants, as are most of the nurses and auxiliary staff at my local hospital. And all the staff at my two favourite coffee shops, and the owner of my favourite cafe. Not to mention the drivers of the buses I use for my commute and a number of my friends.

Oh, and most importantly there is the thing that you seem to lack, but I have managed to retain a grip on: The notion that it isn't all "me, me, me - to hell with the rest of you, I'm all right". I still manage to maintain empathy for fellow human beings who find themselves in a difficult, potentially life changing position through no fault of their own, empathy that you have lost, or more probably, never had, in the first place.

Your post is an insight into how Britain will look over the coming months and years, I hope you reap what you sow.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 24th Jun 16, 12:38 PM
    • 4,195 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    boatman
    If it's so simple, why has nobody officially clarified yet precisely what applies?
    And what would apply to the UK citizens living and working in other EU nations?

Perhaps it is actually rather complex to solve.
    Originally posted by colsten
    The nitty gritty is not so simple, but I just cannot see Brits getting chucked out of Europe any more than us chucking people out of UK, won't happen. Those Brits abroad provide a lot of money for those countries, they need it.
    • jamesd
    • By jamesd 24th Jun 16, 12:43 PM
    • 23,514 Posts
    • 15,841 Thanks
    jamesd
    what Martin thinks is going to happen to EU citizens who, like me, live, work and own property in the UK. ... What will happen to our right to work and own property here? What about our children's university fees?
    Originally posted by BadTemperedCat
    People from almost all countries are free to own property here so you can continue to own or sell that as you wish.

In the short term you will continue to have the right to live and work here because the UK is still in the EU. Longer term what will happen to you is likely to be one of the major concerns for other countries in the brexit negotiations but it seems unlikely that you will have anything urgent to do and more likely that if you have been here for many years you will be granted an ongoing right to live and work here, in exchange for the same deal for UK nationals in other EU countries.

University costs are currently much cheaper for Scottish residents at Scottish universities and I have a close relative who relocated there as an adult to take advantage of this. The structure of UK student loans is unsuited to those who may leave the UK so what will happen in that area for non-UK prospective EU students in the UK is unknowable at present.

Best wishes for dealing with the uncertainty that inevitably affects you more than many others.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 24th Jun 16, 12:44 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    GingerBob
    I always suspected that the majority of my fellow citizens were as thick as -you know what!. Yesterday's vote confirms this.
    Last edited by GingerBob; 24-06-2016 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Remove invective - before mods do.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 24th Jun 16, 12:50 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    I always suspected that the majority of my fellow citizens were as thick as -you know what!. Yesterday's vote confirms this.
    Originally posted by GingerBob
    Typical dummy spitting response from a poor loser. You don't like the result so resort to insulting those who dared to vote the opposite way to you.
    R.I.P. U.K. Democracy.
    • tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 24th Jun 16, 12:54 PM
    • 17,158 Posts
    • 45,225 Thanks
    tesuhoha
    When Leave were campaigning they said no one here would be made to leave.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 24th Jun 16, 12:59 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    GingerBob
    Typical dummy spitting response from a poor loser. You don't like the result so resort to insulting those who dared to vote the opposite way to you.
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller

I certainly don't like the result. The little islander mentality of the thick populous will cost us all a significant amount of money. Glad I moved my pension fund out of shares a few weeks ago. And glad I got my euros yesterday. I see the obnoxious vultures are already circling over Scotland, N. Ireland and Gibraltar.
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 24th Jun 16, 1:04 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    sportsarb
    I certainly don't like the result. The little islander mentality of the thick populous will cost us all a significant amount of money. Glad I moved my pension fund out of shares a few weeks ago. And glad I got my euros yesterday. I see the obnoxious vultures are already circling over Scotland, N. Ireland and Gibraltar.
    England got its vote to leave the EU, only fair get our vote to leave England.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 24th Jun 16, 1:07 PM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    lstar337
    Everybody had the right to vote however they wanted. Please don't insult people for the way they voted. It is hard enough to get people to vote as it is, fearing what will happen if they vote 'the wrong way' isn't going to help that situation.
    • Castle
    • By Castle 24th Jun 16, 1:07 PM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 3,332 Thanks
    Castle
    If you are concerned about your status here or your British friends status abroad, read up the Vienna convention.
    Your residency rights should not be affected by a change in a country's status after your immigration here
    Originally posted by lazer
    An article which suggests otherwise:-
    http://www.connexionfrance.com/Vienna-Convention-1969-expats-rights-residence-Brexit-17867-view-article.html
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 24th Jun 16, 1:14 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    GingerBob
    Everybody had the right to vote however they wanted. Please don't insult people for the way they voted. It is hard enough to get people to vote as it is, fearing what will happen if they vote 'the wrong way' isn't going to help that situation.
    Originally posted by lstar337

Most of 'em haven't got the intelligence to vote. Surely you must have heard some of the jackass-like chuntering during vox-pop interviews recently - politicians and public alike? I wonder if I can obtain Irish citizenship?
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 24th Jun 16, 1:21 PM
    • 10,410 Posts
    • 36,653 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Irish citizenship is reasonably easy to obtain especially if you already have family there.

This artlicle & this one list other possibilities.

(Strategic marriage no longer an option for me, but I may consider further education!)
    • Blouseortrousers
    • By Blouseortrousers 24th Jun 16, 1:33 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Blouseortrousers
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but does this mean that RBS will no longer have to sell off England and Wales branches under the Williams and Glyn brand?

The eu directive is what made RBS have to do so so do you think that customers will remain with RBS now ?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 24th Jun 16, 1:41 PM
    • 31,665 Posts
    • 19,638 Thanks
    xylophone
    the thick populous
    Populus?

Populous is an adjective.

It is necessarily the case that anyone who disagrees with you is thick?
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 24th Jun 16, 2:04 PM
    • 10,957 Posts
    • 8,965 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    It's pretty obvious that there will be financial implications. We're already seeing the pound in free fall, markets hammered, threats to the UK's credit rating, and much more. That we're going to see inflation (well above pay rises), a drop in GDP, job losses, and curtailment of inward investment is pretty inevitable.

However, what worries me more is that this is just the first lurch on a long slide towards racism, intolerance, and right wing extremism. That we have so many happy to see the country start moving in this direction means that this is also inevitable, I'm afraid.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 24th Jun 16, 2:18 PM
    • 10,884 Posts
    • 7,220 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Most of 'em haven't got the intelligence to vote. Surely you must have heard some of the jackass-like chuntering during vox-pop interviews recently - politicians and public alike? I wonder if I can obtain Irish citizenship?
    You haven't exactly got a record of posting rationally in any subject, so we can all safely ignore your rangts as we always do, whatever we think about the eu vote.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 24th Jun 16, 2:29 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    GingerBob
    You haven't exactly got a record of posting rationally in any subject, so we can all safely ignore your rangts as we always do, whatever we think about the eu vote.
    Originally posted by bigadaj

But you haven't ignored me. You've responded.
    • Jhoney
    • By Jhoney 24th Jun 16, 2:40 PM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    Jhoney
    We are where we are
    I hope the economy doesn't self implode and that the things that were good about EU legisation etc is enacted into law tout suite.

Where those laws are ridiculous or red taped to death, it is at least a chance to step back and refine them.

I hope any changes are slow, considered and for the better with some foresight applied for the 'what if' factor. We don't what another internet (yea), dark net (uh oh) situation with any of it.

None of the leave lot have much economic or government experience. And PLEASE don't give FARAGE the foreign office brief!...Or health for that matter.
    • IanManc
    • By IanManc 24th Jun 16, 2:41 PM
    • 927 Posts
    • 1,708 Thanks
    IanManc
    The little islander mentality of the thick populous
    You mean populace. No irony there at all ........
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 24th Jun 16, 2:49 PM
    • 22,818 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Wow thanks for your empathy.
    Originally posted by BadTemperedCat
    WOW. What a way to show appreciation for the tax and NI those people pay, and how they contribute to the wealth of our economy. It is very sad to see the lows our country has now sunk to.
    Originally posted by colsten
    People who have friends, neighbours and colleagues from other countries do care what happens to them. Caring is something that humans do.
    Originally posted by Eric Disley
    I'm simply pointing out that the politicians (and don't forget they will most likely be pro-brexit Tories) who will be negotiating the terms of the exit over the next couple of years will have to focus primarily on the issues affecting the majority of the population. If you don't think that's what'll happen you're only fooling yourself. Of course there is room to care what happens to those who have made their homes here, but if you think that's a high priority for Boris and Gove you're being naive.

And I voted Remain and have been a member of the Stronger In campaign from the beginning. But I refuse to wear rose-tinted spectacles.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

308Posts Today

2,108Users online

Martin's Twitter