Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 24th Aug 09, 3:15 PM
    • 1,243Posts
    • 3,577Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt
    • 24th Aug 09, 3:15 PM
    0 WOW
    Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt 24th Aug 09 at 3:15 PM
    What’s this about?

Taking hand luggage only makes budget flying cheaper, as so far none charge for it. Though there is usually a 10Kg weight limit (see Budget Airline Fee-Fighting for the different allowances).

So we want to tap MoneySavers for tips on the cheapest, lightest cabin luggage available. Remember it will need to pass the size test at check-in; easyJet & Ryanair have allow a max of 55cm high, 40cm wide and 20cm deep.

This was inspired by a company called Flylite, which sent us one of its small-size cabin bags. Can you find one cheaper and lighter?

Big pockets help beat weight limits ...

Plus if you know of any cheap coats with big pockets, which you can stuff with extra weight, post 'em too. As an example, MoneySaver terry227 came up with the ingenious idea of wearing an engineers’ coat as they come with so many pockets (looks like these).

What to do

If you have tips on the perfect cabin luggage, then click reply and let other MoneySavers know. Please include how much it is, how much it weights and a link to the item if possible.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 01-09-2009 at 3:36 PM.
Page 5
  • MaxTheDog
    A backpack all the way for me, very light, flexible. Speed past everybody else in the scrum to the plane as well
  • elfen
    http://www.millets.co.uk/product/104355.html

This iswhat I'm taking. Is small but rather spacious (think mini Tardis of bags) It's really comfy, it has a pocket from travel docs/passport/pen/anything else, and a pocket for MP3 players and headphone cable, so I may be emptying it out and using it when we go to the beach too. It only weighs 600g, and you can fit a good deal in there (I've got 4 days worth of clothes, spare pair of shoes - I'm a 7- and all my travel toiletries in there. Anything else, I'll stick in the pockets of my Helly waterproof (has 4, dont know if they still sell them or not)
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
    • simondm
    • By simondm 6th Sep 09, 10:19 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    simondm
    Dunlop Case
    I bought two of the Dunlop cases yesterday from Sports Direct after reading about them on this thread. Rather than hacksaw the top handle off, you can unzip the lining and drill through the four handle fixing bolts from the inside. Then the whole handle (and a piece of plywood) can be totally removed, leaving four very small holes in the mesh fabric. A tidier and lighter option than the hacksaw fix.
  • Eurotraveller
    I've just copied this from the Easyjet website which indicates that an additional bag for purchases is permitted.

"In addition to the “Standard Hand Baggage” you may also carry:
    (a) one of the following: An overcoat; an umbrella, or a shawl; and
    (b) one standard size carrier bag of goods purchased from the departure airport."

I received major hassle flying with Ryanair from both Edinburgh and Glasgow Prestwick at summer. I have been using the same cabin case for years without any problem. The "checker of the boarding pass" also insisted that the airport purchases be put in the case.
    On the flight I sat beside a gentleman who introduced me to the wearing of a coat with loads of pockets idea. On my return journey I wore as many outfits as I could, 2 pairs of trousers, two Tshirts, two dresses and a Jacket and no one batted an eyelid! Success.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 6th Sep 09, 6:23 PM
    • 17,786 Posts
    • 13,907 Thanks
    hollydays
    You wore two dresses and two pairs of trousers?
    Didn't Mrs Eurotraveller mind?
    • DomConway
    • By DomConway 7th Sep 09, 1:20 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    DomConway
    Very useful thread - perhaps it should be linked from the Budget airline fee-fighting page.
    • terryya
    • By terryya 7th Sep 09, 11:10 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    terryya
    I bought two of the Dunlop cases yesterday from Sports Direct after reading about them on this thread. Rather than hacksaw the top handle off, you can unzip the lining and drill through the four handle fixing bolts from the inside. Then the whole handle (and a piece of plywood) can be totally removed, leaving four very small holes in the mesh fabric. A tidier and lighter option than the hacksaw fix.
    Originally posted by simondm
    Nice one. I think I might actually tidy my scruffy handles up now. I had considered drilling the studs out but had left it until the last minute and the suitcases were full!
    • benjus
    • By benjus 16th Sep 09, 3:29 PM
    • 5,323 Posts
    • 3,275 Thanks
    benjus
    I have one of these:

http://www.tjhughes.co.uk/fcp/product/brands-for-less/Buy-Before-You-Fly/IT-Frameless-Expandable-EVA-Trolley-Case/226

(the 18" one)

Probably the best value of the trolley cases I looked at - it's light, has a nice semi-hard case, a decent capacity (41 litres) and fits within Ryanair/Easyjet restrictions. Costs £16 (plus £5.50 delivery).
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • richardw
    • By richardw 21st Sep 09, 9:16 PM
    • 19,061 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    richardw
    When we have a 20cm compliant bag, how long will it take them to change the rules to 19.5cm to catch us out?
  • JKJUK
    I have one of these:
    IT-Frameless-Expandable-EVA-Trolley-Case
    (the 18" one)
    Originally posted by benjus
    Thanks. I like the look of these but TJHughes website gives no weight or dimensions for 18" case. Benjus could you post weight and dimensions of the 18" case if possible.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 30th Sep 09, 7:59 PM
    • 5,323 Posts
    • 3,275 Thanks
    benjus
    Thanks. I like the look of these but TJHughes website gives no weight or dimensions for 18" case. Benjus could you post weight and dimensions of the 18" case if possible.
    Originally posted by JKJUK
    Including wheels, handle etc, it comes to roughly 52cm x 35cm x 20cm - the bottom is a bit thicker but squashes down to 20cm if it's not overfull. I don't have anything to weigh it with but it feels like about 2kg.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • niceday999
    • By niceday999 6th Oct 09, 1:22 PM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    niceday999
    I got this one from Amazon. Its fantastic
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/JanSport-Weekaway-Luggage-Chocolate-squares/dp/B0014E48HC/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1254831287&sr=1-50

it measures 51 x30 x20 and holds 44L
    Its very light ....
    it has lots of pockets and you can carry it lots of ways.....i have been looking for ages and its very light....hope this helps someone.....
    Last edited by niceday999; 06-10-2009 at 1:28 PM.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 6th Oct 09, 6:00 PM
    • 19,061 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    richardw
    Looks like it is 22cm and too big

http://www.epacks.co.uk/epages/BT3437.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3437/Products/%22JanSport%20Weekaway%22/SubProducts/%22jansport%20weekaway-0002%22
    • Eleanory
    • By Eleanory 20th Oct 09, 11:58 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Eleanory
    I've just bought two cabim suitcases from Debenhams online, reduced from £60 to £20, with a voucher for a further 10% off. With p & p the cost of both came to £40.50. Tripp, with handle and wheels. I haven't flown yet but will let you know. I plan to fly to Belfast International at the end of September with bmibaby. Only going for three days so won't need to pack much. I saw the offer on www.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by Eleanory

Travelled end of September on bmibaby Cardiff-Belfast Intl. The case was well within limits.
    • HanSpan
    • By HanSpan 21st Oct 09, 6:54 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    HanSpan
    For carrying toiletries on board I've found somewhere that sells cheap empty bottles far cheaper than chemists:

http://www.baseformula.com/viewProducts.php?SubCatID=24

Five 100ml clear for only £2.14 plus 9p each for a standard screw top. I'm not sure how much postage would be as I bought little round pots as well but I remember thinking it was perfectly reasonable. If you're feeling flush you can pay a few more pence for green or blue bottles for variety!
  • Andyjenk
    Since writing the following I've used the bag. It worked and fitted EasyJets luggage measurer. Unfortunately the velcro did not stay together! This meant it was possible to lose items when stowed. Fortunately I took an alternative for the return journey - two Morrison's large carrirer bags (38p each!). I put everything in one (including the empty Iceland bag) and placed it inside the other (empty bag upside down over full bag). Then I turned the whole lot upside down, ending up with a fully enclosed bag with 2 carry handles. Just remember to turn the bags over before opening. This worked a treat. Sorry I posted before a full test. Another potential drawback is if you need to leave your luggage unattended - anyone can interfere with them. Padlocking the handles together should solve that, however.

Original:

Iceland have an Insulated Reusable Bag for £2 measuring 52.5 X 39.5 X 27.5 cm. The 52.5 cm includes a 7cm section containing 2 plastic rods as carrying handles beyond the velcro top closure, and as these will fold back along the top of the bag the effective height is 45 cm. although it is 17.5 cm wide it will easily squash down to 20cm if you don't completely fill it (the bottom could bulge out up to 10 cm and stay within limit!). The insulation is extremely thin and mainly means you have an inner surface which is simple to wipe clean.

On my kitchen scales it weighs about 200gm (6.5 oz).

Because the inner and outer dimensions are almost the same it will hold considerably more than a wheeled case of the same external dimensions. If, like me, you have been caught out because the wheels on your old wheeled case make it just too large, you can play safe and use it as a measure. Alternatively, make two 20cm piles of books, place either side of the bag and check that the bag fits under a ruler placed across them.

I find the plastic rods make for very comfortable carrying.

There is also a plastic insert base stiffener which can be removed if you don't want it.

Negatives?

a) Bright red with white "Iceland logo" and "use me again and again..."
    b) No wheels, but the bag is so much lighter than a wheeled case this should not normally be a problem.
    c) Not baggage-handler-proof, but YOU'll be looking after it!
    Last edited by Andyjenk; 23-11-2009 at 9:29 AM. Reason: Extra word would aid clarity
  • pinkcandyflossprincess
    home bargains sells the clear bottle packs, i found a good set of travel products in a shop(dont know he name but most shopping centre have one..it sells perfumes, shampoos etc :confused the set is 1.99and contains mini products as shower foam, deodrant, shaving foam etc.
    they do last 2 weeks, i normally fill the refill bottles with shamppo and conditioner etc and had enough for a 2 week break, home bargains was selling mini lynx and dove shower gels for 19p dove shampoo and mini deodrant aeosols,
    the lush hair bars are good but about a fiver each, i do normally take a massage bar for skin to combat sun and they smell amazing so double as perfume.
    i used to send of for free samples and stash them, great for face creams and you dont have to worry about bringing it all back!
    it is easier i find to just buy after checkin though as there is usually a boots where you cn grab a meal deal for plane plus if you are a bloke, a can of lynx etc, and products for babies if needed.

i found a suitcase on argos and tesco that are both about £13 and fit the criteria.
    ***MSE...My.Special.Escape***
  • grubby23
    I bought this one here from argos

Revelation by Antler Silver Zip Case 20in.

075/6206

Seems to be slightly too deep, however, in the reviews it says that it fits into the Easyjet cage. I measured it today, and it seems you can squeeze it to under 20 cm. Will try it out the next days, hopefully it fits.

Anyone knows if the cages for easyjet and ryanair are the same size or is the one from Ryanair smaller?

Thanks
  • Flaviafishcake
    FLYLITE DISCOUNT CODE! 20% discount with the code "FLYLITE" All products have a maximum dimension of 55x40x20, meeting Ryanair and Easyjet's restrictions!!
    • namakemono
    • By namakemono 4th Feb 10, 4:13 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    namakemono
    Just taken delivery of something not unlike the following from Amazon Germany- perfectly sized, roomy inside, will report back after I use it next weekend!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlop-Overnight-Weekend-Sports-Holdall/dp/B0019MLFKW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lp_1

Only thing that's annoying is no shoulder strap.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,054Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter