Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 24th Aug 09, 3:15 PM
    • 1,243Posts
    • 3,577Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt
    • 24th Aug 09, 3:15 PM
    0 WOW
    Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt 24th Aug 09 at 3:15 PM
    What’s this about?

Taking hand luggage only makes budget flying cheaper, as so far none charge for it. Though there is usually a 10Kg weight limit (see Budget Airline Fee-Fighting for the different allowances).

So we want to tap MoneySavers for tips on the cheapest, lightest cabin luggage available. Remember it will need to pass the size test at check-in; easyJet & Ryanair have allow a max of 55cm high, 40cm wide and 20cm deep.

This was inspired by a company called Flylite, which sent us one of its small-size cabin bags. Can you find one cheaper and lighter?

Big pockets help beat weight limits ...

Plus if you know of any cheap coats with big pockets, which you can stuff with extra weight, post 'em too. As an example, MoneySaver terry227 came up with the ingenious idea of wearing an engineers’ coat as they come with so many pockets (looks like these).

What to do

If you have tips on the perfect cabin luggage, then click reply and let other MoneySavers know. Please include how much it is, how much it weights and a link to the item if possible.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 01-09-2009 at 3:36 PM.
Page 3
    • HelenKA
    • By HelenKA 26th Aug 09, 9:13 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    HelenKA
    In Morrisons this week I saw a shopping trolley style of bag for £5. I used the same thing (Luckily also £5 but from fleabay) for our holiday this year. We did check one bag - for the shower gel/shampoo/sun cream - in but other than that we only took handbaggage. The good thing about this bag is that the wheels sort of fold into the bag so they don't take up so much room in the measruing box.

It held plenty for me and came in way under weight. Infact we decided that you would need to have a cement block of the correct dimensions to go over the 10kg allowed!
  • TOM FARRAR
    rollercase
    I got our Ryanair sized bags from Makro at £9.99 but our biggest saving is the Post Office pre paid Visa Electron card you have to put £50 on it to start then all our Ryanair flights do not have the £5.00 per person each way booking fee so a £1.00 or £5.00 flight only costs us that.. and I think its the same with Easy Jet YOU CAN HAVE A DAYOR WEEKEND IN DUBLIN FOR £5.00
    each way using this and no repeat no extras
  • Incapuppy
    but our biggest saving is the Post Office pre paid Visa Electron card you have to put £50 on it to start then all our Ryanair flights do not have the £5.00 per person each way booking fee so a £1.00 or £5.00 flight only costs us that.. and I think its the same with Easy Jet YOU CAN HAVE A DAYOR WEEKEND IN DUBLIN FOR £5.00
    each way using this and no repeat no extras
    Originally posted by TOM FARRAR
    Great hand baggage tip, thanks
  • skankyassedho
    Sports Direct (and sportsdirect.com) are doing a 20" Dunlop trolley case well within the measurements (approx 50 x 34 x 19cm) and v light for £7.99
  • jimsweetman
    TESCO Relic small trolley case
    At £12.97 this case fits the EJ and RyanAir requirements for hand baggage. Apart from the price, it is polyester constructed so it stays the same size. When looking at trolley luggage watch out for the wheels as some labels do not give overall dimensions. This case weighs 3kg so that gives you 7kg to play with on RyanAir but EJ has no weight restriction. Get some electronic bathroom scales at home. Save hotel plastic shampoo bottles for your liquids - 100ml of shampoo should last you a week away.
  • mitzimog
    Ikea travel set
    I bought the 'Upptacka' cabin bag with wheels, which comes with a matching briefcase, for £19 when Ikea had it on sale. It's currently £45 if you have an Ikea Family card. It's the perfect size, very lightweight, rolls smoothly, looks different from other bags so easy to recognise, and is nicely designed inside. I have also gotten a lot of use out of the briefcase--which is big enough to double as an overnight bag if all I need to bring is a lightweight change of clothes in addition to my laptop.
    Even at the higher price I think this set is a good deal, much more functional than the "cheap" cabin bag my husband bought on sale for £20 at Debenham's recently.
  • mitzimog
    link for that Ikea bag
    Link for that bag from Ikea:
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30132513
    • JJS
    • By JJS 27th Aug 09, 6:04 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    JJS
    What’s this about?

Big pockets help beat weight limits ...

Plus if you know of any cheap coats with big pockets, which you can stuff with extra weight, post 'em too. As an example, MoneySaver terry 227 came up with the ingenious idea of wearing an engineers’ coat as they come with so many pockets ( looks like these ).

Originally posted by MSE Jenny

I think the link to the jackets should be
    www dot portwest dot com slash products2.php?item=142
    Sorry can't post link - site says I'm a new user, cos I forgot my password!
  • cmahon
    cabin luggage
    the best hand luggage i have found was in ikea lightweight and folds flat it is the corrwct hand luggage size for easyjeat and ryanair have used on both ithink it was under £10
    • richardw
    • By richardw 27th Aug 09, 7:32 PM
    • 19,061 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    richardw
    Was it this http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30132513
  • Glynnie
    Cabin luggage
    On a recent trip to Jersey with BMI baby I had tried to keep costs down by only taking hand luggage. This proved very difficult as they want cabin luggage to measure no more than 55x40x20cm and they check on several occasions to make sure your luggage will fit in their size cages/boxes. We took rucksacks which just fitted with effort of pushing and squeezing into place. The staff seemed to be willing our luggage not to fit! Incidentally, the magazine on board the plane advertised a case which can be "easily taken as carry-on luggage" and measures 50.8x35.6x22.9cm. Have they tried putting that in their cage and getting it out in one piece?
    • clearvisor
    • By clearvisor 27th Aug 09, 9:20 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    clearvisor
    thank you
    I've found a couple of bags that are just within those dimensions, to make the most of your allowance. First, I found this bag (garish, touristy picture of Tower Bridge on it, so awful that surely no-one will try to steal it; H 45cm, W 40 cm, D 17cm) on Ebay for £2.50 incl p&p (can "buy it now" and more than 10 available so probably have loads) - looks very light but described as "heavy duty". Second, and a bit more substantial, Amazon have a rucksack (loads more comfortable to carry, H=46cm W=36cm D=14cm, 520g) for £14.15 incl. p&p.

I'm all in favour of hand luggage only - no hanging about in queues, etc. - also, I don't care what I look like on holiday so am happy not carrying loads of stuff to get dressed up in!
    Originally posted by Noggin the Nog
    Ordered two, thanks clervisor
    • JGal
    • By JGal 27th Aug 09, 9:28 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    JGal
    I've never bothered with cabin bag only but am flying with Ryan air next week for the first time and have not booked hold luggage.

I'm interested to know now how they decide if a luggage is acceptable. Some one has mention they have an open cage or box, presumably with inner dimensions equal to the max luggage size. So I'm guessing they ask you to fit luggage in this - which must also mean a bag could have external dimensions a lot bigger than the maximum as long as it's not full and be squashed down to fit in their measurement cage/box.

But for a small case you have to be careful with external fittings - eg wheels & handles as it's unlikely a case can be squashed down.

Can anyone confirm??
    • mystic_trev
    • By mystic_trev 27th Aug 09, 10:54 PM
    • 5,147 Posts
    • 15,365 Thanks
    mystic_trev
    I've never bothered with cabin bag only but am flying with Ryan air next week for the first time and have not booked hold luggage.

I'm interested to know now how they decide if a luggage is acceptable. Some one has mention they have an open cage or box, presumably with inner dimensions equal to the max luggage size. So I'm guessing they ask you to fit luggage in this - which must also mean a bag could have external dimensions a lot bigger than the maximum as long as it's not full and be squashed down to fit in their measurement cage/box.

But for a small case you have to be careful with external fittings - eg wheels & handles as it's unlikely a case can be squashed down.

Can anyone confirm??
    Originally posted by JGal
    Yes - wheels handles etc have to be within the max luggage size.

As I use Ryanair, Easyjet and BA on a regular basis, I wanted a hand baggage option to cover all eventualities, so bought a Samsonite bag which will expand from 20cm depth to 25cm when using BA
  • watsonworld
    General Comment On Hand Luggage
    I bought some discontinued cases from the Tesco catatlogue - 3 for £20 ! They were Barbie pink ! which is probably why they weren't a best seller !but I made light of it by adding graffitti - "I'm not gay but my boyfriend is !" - "Reduce your footprint - stand on one leg !" etc. They're bright enough to be seen from space so probably wouldn't get nicked ! The lining was all torn in one of them so the nice Customer Services lady gave me £10 off ! I did have to hacksaw the wheels off the mid sized case to get it to drop into the "cage" but I already had one of those fold-up wheel and handle contraptions which slips into the side pocket.

I'm more than a bit miffed about the fact that I always fly within the rules but some travellers seem to get away with oversized and often numerous items of carry-on completely unchallenged !!!!!!!!!!!

As for cosmetics - the wife and I managed only 2 items of carry-on, for 2 weeks in Greece ! I just used her shampoo / shower gel etc and came back with virtually nothing - (thus making space for a few souvenirs !)
  • Incapuppy
    but I made light of it by adding graffitti - "I'm not gay but my boyfriend is !"
    Originally posted by watsonworld
    Hilarious :rolleyes:
  • bomb
    Thanks for all the posts - have just stayed in all day waiting for my lost checked baggage to be located and couriered to my house courtesy of Alitalia and regret not taking hand baggage only - The tripp luggage looks a real winner.
  • jenniferann
    hand luggage
    A lot of the cases mentioned sound good, but none of them actually take full advantage of the 55 x 40 x 20cm allowed. Most seem to be about 50cm max. high and 34cm wide, which is wasting an awful lot of packing space, important particularly with Easyjet who don't have a weight restriction. Also, so many of the cases you see are more than 20cm deep.
    I'm constantly on the lookout for the perfect case and a few years ago I found one at Debenhams that seems to have been discontinued. It is so unusually wide (but it still fits in those metal things at check-in) that air crew have often looked surprised.
    Manufacturers: Please make a case that makes the most of these (pretty standard) measurements. You (and we) would be on to a winner!
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 28th Aug 09, 7:46 PM
    • 3,094 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    bagand96
    A lot of the cases mentioned sound good, but none of them actually take full advantage of the 55 x 40 x 20cm allowed. Most seem to be about 50cm max. high and 34cm wide, which is wasting an awful lot of packing space.
    Call it room for error when the low cost airlines decide to change the parameters
  • Misskip
    Fab case
    Just got some cracking cabin luggage from TJ HUghes. reduced to £20 from £50 rrp. Case weighs less than 2kg and measurements are 49 x 34 x 18 cm, apparently the worlds lightest case and it definately feels it compared to my hard case
    link below, currently showing out of stock but loads available instore.

Sorry unable to add link as new poster so look on TJ HUghes wensite for suitcase and look for the 19cm case in the SUB 0 - G collection, available in blue, black or red.
    Originally posted by woodkit
    I have been away for 16 days with this case, fitted everything in including 100ml bottles with various bits in them. Even had room to buy sun cream air side. the case is so light and it swallows up loads of stuff. Fantastic design and well worth spending a little bit more on it if you fly regularly. I flew with Easyjet and Ryanair with it and no one looked twice at it and it didn't get weighed. Also got great pockets on the outside for passport and book. Someone has really thought about this case and it's light weight design.

100ml bottles do not need to be clear I travelled with a 100ml deodrant bottle that was not clear and it passed through security unlike my other halfs 150ml bottle that got pulled up and thrown in the bin. There is also a rule about the size of the clear bag they fit in. I think as long as it under 100ml and in a 1 litre size clear bag it will get through.

Does annoy me though when people walk onto the plane with over sized bags and then take up locker space by putting it in side ways. Also watching people get on board with 2 and sometimes 3 bags of various sizes. Handbags are meant to go inside your case not stay on your shoulder.

This case is also available via bags etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

2,014Users online

Martin's Twitter