Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    motherkitty
    Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)
    • 14th Dec 08, 6:11 PM
    Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance) 14th Dec 08 at 6:11 PM
    I am trying to plan the cooking for Christmas Day and was thinking, apart from preparing the veg on christmas Eve, whether I could do anything else in advance.
    Could I do things like mash swede, make gravy and make up stuffing balls on Christmas Eve, and maybe even freeze yorkshires to use on the day rater than buy frozen ones in.
    Also, my family like to eat a steamed suet pudding with a roast dinner. Would i be able to make that in advance too and freeze it to use on the day without spoiling the flavour or texture? Or can you do these in the microwave?
    Just wondered whether any of you do this successfully as it would save being tied to the kitchen all morning!
Page 21
    • littlegreenparrot
    • By littlegreenparrot 24th Oct 13, 5:15 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    littlegreenparrot
    I wouldn't worry about it, but if you feel like it try this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/prosciutto_mozzarella_87370

I made it at the weekend, very easy and lovely. Slice it up, freeze it, and watch everyone be impressed when you bring it out (small slices would also defrost very quickly for emergencies!)
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 24th Oct 13, 5:18 PM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    definite vote for everyone to be feeding you !

You concentrate on looking after yourself and your lovely baby - little else matters.
    • EstherH
    • By EstherH 24th Oct 13, 7:23 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 10,268 Thanks
    EstherH
    GIGGLEPIG: Are you talking about people coming for one meal or coming to stay with you? Are they travelling far? Is there a reason you don't feel hubbies family would be happy to bring food with them?

Ok, now for some practical suggestions - I hope.

If you have a slowcooker, put stewing/braising steak, chopped onion, chopped carrots, and potatoes in with some oxo cubes, mixed herbs, salt and pepper and some wine or balsamic vinegar. Add some water and turn on. If no slowcooker you can do it in the oven in a large casserole. If it needs thickening up at the end add some bisto. You could have the carrots and onions chopped ready and left in Tupperware in the fridge and the potatoes will keep ready peeled in water for a couple of days if you change the water each day.

Would you have room for a lasagne in the freezer? If you could fit that in, you could prepared it now.

A big pot of chilli or bolognaise wouldn't be too difficult for hubbie to do. Again, onions etc can be prepped and left in the fridge.

Home made soup using dried soup pulse mix, and a packet of frozen mixed veg and couple of stock cubes, with some of those part baked rolls.

Is any of this any help?

Please don't worry about it all. Anyone who doesn't understand and expects to be looked after when you have had a new baby is out of order and that is their problem not yours. Hope all goes well with the rest of your pregnancy. God bless. Esther x
    Second purse 101/100
    Third purse. 500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 27th Oct 13, 7:37 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    Congrats on the bambino due soon

ive merged this with our Christmas dinner advance prep thread

our Christmas 2013 thread also has all the handy Christmas dinner links in one place

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

35Posts Today

4,110Users online

Martin's Twitter